The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hiring & Managing NPC Ship Crew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Hiring & Managing NPC Ship Crew
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Hiring & Managing NPC Ship Crew Reply with quote

Pretty straight-forward. As ship sizes increase, you start needing more and more crew to operate them, and only some of those slots can be filled by droids.

Have any of you ever GM'd or played in a game that introduced NPC crew to help operate a larger ship? If so, how did it work, and what rules did you use?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time, it never mattered. Either we had "droids for that" or the crew were incidental to the story and we never really worried about what they did or how much they cost.

Having some charts, though, would be good.

A professional crew (all relevant skills at 4D-4D+2) might cost x credits per day per crew member.

Bump up x exponentially (^1.5 or 2 or so) for each D range above "professional." If x = 100 credits, then a 5D crew might command 150, a 6D crew might command 300 and a 7D crew might cost as much as 1000 per day per crew member.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been in a Far Orbit campaign, I'd have thought we'd have dealt with rules on that, but I can't for the life of me remember.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Most of the time, it never mattered. Either we had "droids for that" or the crew were incidental to the story and we never really worried about what they did or how much they cost.

A professional crew (all relevant skills at 4D-4D+2) might cost x credits per day per crew member.

Bump up x exponentially (^1.5 or 2 or so) for each D range above "professional." If x = 100 credits, then a 5D crew might command 150, a 6D crew might command 300 and a 7D crew might cost as much as 1000 per day per crew member.

Since lots of costs for weapons and other gear, are almost a comparison to modern stuff, such as a pistol costing 300 credits, while in some stores you can get a cheep 9mm pistol for 300 bucks, how's about lookng up sites that list prices of merchant marines...
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody checked D20? WotC loves having stuff for everything.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Has anybody checked D20? WotC loves having stuff for everything.

I recall stumbling across the edges of something like that with my Starship Factory Upgrades topic. The high-end Luxury Interior mods' only listed in-game effect in the WotC was to upgrade the Quality of the ship's NPC crew by one level (IIRC).

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

Once could potentially repurpose the Coordination charts from 2E...

Quote:

Makes me wish there was a workable Wealth stat. Way easier to just roll the dice to see whether or not you have enough money...

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Makes me wish there was a workable Wealth stat. Way easier to just roll the dice to see whether or not you have enough money...

What do you see wrong with d6 space's Funds attribute?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why I didn't think of this before. But, typically when crewing a large ship, you can use the loot shares as a pay scale. Each standard crewman gets 1 share, each skilled crewman gets 2 shares, Officers get 3, captain gets 4.

Then you just have to start cutting in your crew on the take for the million credits worth of blasters you sold on the black market.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

What do you see wrong with d6 space's Funds attribute?

I'm still trying to grok it fully, but at the moment, I'm not entirely comfortable with how the Funds Attribute is depleted by overuse, then replenished.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some digging around, and I found http://christophedia.com/Repository/3.65-Star%20Wars%20Saga%20Edition/Excel/

If you take a look at the Excel file, it has a tab for services. I'm specifically looking at upkeep: lines 23 - 29.

Luxurious: 10,000
Wealthy: 5,000
Comfortable: 2,000
Average: 1,000
Struggling: 500
Impoverished: 200
Self-Sufficient: 100

I'm assuming these are monthly costs. So, I'd assume that fair wage for a crew member might be Average upkeep plus maybe 25-50% so the person can afford to save up?

Call it 1250 to 1500 credits per month per crewman?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a group of four players that ended up owning a corvette with a crew of 35.

We did not go too detailed into how they were hired individually, but we did have a way of running them and their sections of the ship.

We devided the ship into sectors, piloting and astrogation (and communications), gunnery and sensors and shields, Engineering (for general repairs) then we had the Basic Operations acounting for most other mundane tasks rarely needing rolls.

We then made a NPC sort of, called the same as the sector, each ot the players repsosible for their own sector and thus the men serving under them.

the Gunnery/shileds and Sensors NPC would look like this

Main Skill 5D
Trained Skill 3D+2
Skill 2D+2

Here we decide which individal manning wich stations by varying in the skills rolled. The gunner mans the cannons, he rolls for his Main skill.
The ship has taken damage and crew has taken casualties, the shiled operator assistant now has to man the last gun, he is not a gunner but trained in basic ship gunnery, and uses his trained skill to roll 3D+2
etc etc.

maybe the ship is full of gunnery sections and maybe some are primary and some are secondary gunners, then again use the main/trained/and normal skills.

For Untrained skill rolls we used the last category the "operatin skill" something all the other NPCs have by default, and here too we have the same skill ladder in main/trained and normal.
This repalces the normal use of attribute, indicating a trained crew to a degree.

How high are the values of the skill categories.

I tendo to go about it this way:

Untrained Person: 3D+2 main, 2D+2 trianed, 2D normal

Normal trained crew: Main skill 4D+2, trained Skill 3D+3, Normal Skill 2D+2

So when the ship is in combat the player "commanding" the gunnery section rolls his rolls for the crew, the player commanding the pilots will roll for them unless he flies the craft himself.

This is generaally when the players are in a command of crew role more than acting as crew members of a larger crew.

I am also thinking of a way to allow a bonus to rolls from command skill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: