The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

IAG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> IAG Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaosmeister
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In preparation for next weeks session I have finalized our Campaign Hub on Notion. Since we only play online this is a great way to collect information and data in one place for reference later.Not that necessary for this campaign but I am still trying to find the right format for everything.

https://www.notion.so/Campaign-Hub-e47467cb3a7c49ff9cdfefd685e124eb
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to ask: What is IAG?

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
Chaosmeister
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yora wrote:
I have to ask: What is IAG?

The best version of D6 (for me), fuses first edition simplicity with 2nd edition improvements. The box contents alone could fuel years of gaming.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Introductory_Adventure_Game
Chaosmeister
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Session 2 went much smoother. Decided to use static defense for the NPCs as it makes my life much easier and it moves faster. The fixed initiative with players acting first has become a bit of an issue though, will see how it goes.

SPOILERS FOR IAG

They were supposed to face the Edan Tigers alas one player who missed the first session joined and I intersected a crashed X Wing scene to hand them a slightly damaged R2 unit! And because I was tardy they also grabbed 2 speeder bikes. Oh well. Next scene was a scout trooper camp they cleared with bravado and decided to use Stun to steal some undamaged scout trooper armor. After seeing the amount of Scout Troopers they went with a grenade though that wiped 4 of them. I decided to roll damage once and then determine how many are actually hit with a d6. The rest of the troopers and officers went down with Stun fire though. Got some sweet gear, finally a map, another Speeder Bike and a Imperial Patrol Land Speeder. Looking good already! We ended the scene with the sound of Swoop bikes coming up behind them. A Chase it is! Love it so far and my players enjoy it also.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Chaosmeister

What's your opinion on the absence of weapon ranges? That always seemed like a glaring omission to me.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Chaosmeister
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem at all, no one missed it so far and we figure with blaster tech range isn't really an issue. At least for our group, we don't really care about such details in other games either.
Odea Ionstrike
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
@Chaosmeister

What's your opinion on the absence of weapon ranges? That always seemed like a glaring omission to me.

I asked Peter Schweighofer about this and got this as a response:

Quote:
As for range, as a gamemaster I'm not too picky about individual ranges (in any game, really). My general "rule of thumb" assumes range designations pertain to sidearms; those using anything qualified as a "rifle" simply move the range/difficulty down a notch...so Long Range becomes Medium Range, etc. I also allow for a "Very Long Range" to come into effect, since that skews down to "Difficult (20)." Not rocket science, but a simplistic solution for cinematic play.

That was pretty close to how I had house ruled it myself and it has been working for my table. We reset our game over to IAG at the beginning of summer, completed the included adventure, and have been playing a campaign ever since using the IAG rules with a few house rules such as Peter's suggested weapons range system. I'm getting older and don't have the memory capacity I use to for endless volumes of rules - I'm pretty happy to have the slim base of IAG as the framework from which I can make rulings from as necessary. YMMV.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I see with that view is, why would anyone bother with pistols when rifles are so much better in every respect? This isn't the case in the films, obviously. In fact, the point has been made elsewhere in this forum that pistols are actually better than rifles in close quarters, yet there's no way to represent this.

Odea Ionstrike
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are several answers to this question but a simple one that has come up in roleplay many times for my group: Blasters can be concealed on your person in systems where that is an issue and rifles are kinda hard to tuck into your pants.

I think if you were doing a military themed game, then yes you are going to have dig into the 2nd R&E rules to buff up the rough edges. That's not my tables focus.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certainly some pistols that applies, but certainly not all or most of them.

Chaosmeister
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't think that has to be reflected by any mechanics and can be solved by RP and in world consequences. I find the difference is negligible if we are talking easy, cinematic play. I do understand that this might not be for you if you care about these differences. My players choose weapons for their characters that fit, not the ones that are the best. I would be fine with all weapons doing the same damage too, just to frame my expectations from a game.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But again, there's no point to having eight different kinds of personal blasters (once you lump pistols, rifles and carbines in together) if there's no difference between them apart from Damage. At the very least, some blasters should be better at longer ranges than others, and most pistols should have some sort of advantage over blaster rifles at close quarters. Otherwise, why pick them?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, there are ways this can be done without requiring all stats to have Ranges measured in Meters. Uniform Range Bands would fit well with the 1E or IAG rules.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaosmeister wrote:
I just don't think that has to be reflected by any mechanics and can be solved by RP and in world consequences. I find the difference is negligible if we are talking easy, cinematic play. I do understand that this might not be for you if you care about these differences. My players choose weapons for their characters that fit, not the ones that are the best. I would be fine with all weapons doing the same damage too, just to frame my expectations from a game.

And there's no problem with that if that works for you and your group. Glad you are enjoying your IAG campaign.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Uniform Range Bands would fit well with the 1E or IAG rules.

We talked about this in June.

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=197351#197351
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Uniform Range Bands would fit well with the 1E or IAG rules.

We talked about this in June.

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=197351#197351

July, too.

At the moment, I'm playing around with a method that combines 1E/IAG with Mini Six's Static Defenses. A bare-bones description:
    -Use Static Defenses as described, but combined with 1E Starship/Vehicle Combat Ranges, so that all weapons have Short, Medium and Long Range.

-Some weapons (primarily pistols, but also carbines with the stock folded/retracted) will be considered Close Combat weapons, and get a -5 to Difficulty at Melee Combat ranges.

-Other weapons (particularly larger ones like Medium Repeaters and such) will be considered Bulky, and get a +5 to Difficulty at Melee Combat Ranges.

-Every weapon will have different Base Difficulties based on their range, as shown here.

-I'm also trying to figure out a way to use my (A) Marksman skill to allow a talented shooter to hit even further out, but haven't found a method I really like yet.
I had originally wanted to revert to the 1E Speed Code method, including converting Character Movement over to Speed Codes, but the more I think about it, the more I find set Move values to be appropriate (although I do think Movement skill rolls should be allowed to modify those values).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: