The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Spacetrooper Armor (Updated)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Spacetrooper Armor (Updated) Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Spacetrooper Armor (Updated) Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this one for a while, and since some interest has been expressed elsewhere in the Beta and Gamma Assault Shuttles, I decided to go ahead and try to bang this one out, because neither ship is really complete without decent stats for these monsters.

The main changes I've made are to make this a power armor suit, complete with systems and rules optimized for actually sensing, moving and fighting in space, as well as updating the rules for the weapons and some systems which are mentioned in fluff sources, but not included in the stats. It also incorporates a few of my house rules for environmental damage and other hazardous conditions.

Spacetrooper Armor

Model: Imperial Zero-G Assault Power Armor Mk. I
Type: Personal Battlesuit
Scale: Character (+0D)
Skill: Powersuit Operation: Spacetrooper Armor
Cost: Not Available For Sale (Availability: 3, X)
Game Notes:
    -Basic Suit: +4D vs. physical damage, +3D vs. energy damage, -1D to Dexterity and all related skills, -2 to Move.
    -Power Suit: +3D to Lifting and Melee/Brawling Damage
    -Heaviness: Due to the suit's weight, the wearer cannot use the skills Hide, Sneak or Swimming while wearing the suit.
    -Power Bank: Provides enough energy for 4 hours of continuous operation.
    -Thruster Pack:
      Space: 1 (0D+2)
      Maneuverability: 1D
      Note: Only functions in Zero-G Environments. When in Atmosphere or a gravity field, treat as a Jump Pack.
    -Fusion Boots: If the suit can bring its feet into contact with a solid surface (such as the hull of a ship or the surface of an asteroid), the wearer may ignore any Movement penalties from Zero-G environments. However, this is cumbersome, increasing the Move penalty (see Basic Suit) to -4, and an additional -1D to Dexterity.
    -Sealed Environment Suit: May ignore up to four levels of Temperature and Atmosphere Environmental Damage, and up to four levels of Radiation Damage. Includes a 10-hour internal atmosphere supply.
    -Multi-Frequency Targeting & Acquisition System: +2D to Search, +1D to all Ranged Weapons. Negates up to 2D of Darkness or Smoke-based Concealment.
    -Sensor Pack:
      Passive: 3/0D+2
      Scan: 6/1D+1
      Search: 9/2D
      Focus: 1/2D+2
    -Advanced Multi-Band Comlink: +2D to Communications
    -Spotlights:
      Fire Arc: Front (-1D Effectiveness in Left and Right Arcs)
      Range: 12/25/50 meters
      Effect: Negates up to 4D/2D/1D of Darkness-based Concealment bonuses
    -2 Repeating Blasters (Integrated into forearms)
      Skill: Blaster
      Range: 3-50/120/300 (0/0/1/3 in space)
      Rate of Fire: 2D Auto-Fire
      Damage: 5D
    -2 Grenade Launchers
      Skill: Firearms
      Range: 5-50/100/200 (0/0/1/2 in space)
      Damage: Varies by Grenade Type
      Ammo: 60 (central magazine feeds both launchers)
        Concussion (Damage: 5D/4D/3D/2D, Blast Radius: 0-2/4/6/10)
        Stun (Damage: 5D/4D/3D/2D (Stun), Blast Radius: 0-2/4/6/8)
    -2 Plasma Cutting Torches (Integrated into forearms)
      Range: 0.3 meters
      Damage: 7D (+1 per round of continual use).
      Note Can be used as an improvised melee weapon using the Melee Combat skill.
    -Missile Launcher Pack (Optional; attached to suit's back)
      Fire Arc: Turret
      Skill: Starship Gunnery
      Rate of Fire:: Up to 4 (one shot per launch tube)
      All Other Stats vary by Weapon Type
      Capacity: 4 (1 per Launch Tube). May select Light Missiles & Rockets from this list, depending on Availability.
House Rule Notes:
    VELOCITY MODIFIER: 0D+1 Flight

Combat In Space: Because of how Spacetroopers are deployed, there is a strong possibility that they may find themselves in combat with starfighters or Starship-Scale weaponry. While the suit's thruster pack provides only minimal usefulness when Dodging, its small size helps to make up for it. In game terms, Spacetrooper Armor is effectively Swoop-Scale, and thus any attempts to hit it with Starship-Scale weaponry suffers a -4D penalty to Gunnery.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon May 08, 2023 1:44 pm; edited 5 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.. I like the re-do.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Very nice.. I like the re-do.

Thanks. The original always seemed somewhat patchy, like there was some obvious stuff missing.

Also, I added something I left out of my version of the MFTAS: it negates up to 2D of Smoke or Darkness-based Concealment.

Leona Makk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fantastic! Love it!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking of making a change here to the Missile Launcher. In the Missile Weapons post, I didn’t include a Light Proton Torpedo, mainly because of a sense of precedent that Proton Torpedoes were larger than missiles. However, the stats for the Spacetrooper Armor specifically gave it a Mini Proton Torpedo Launcher option, so my assumption of precedent was incorrect.

What I’m thinking is:
    -Add stats for a Light Torpedo to the Missile Weapons post.

-Give Spacetrooper Armor the option to carry any of the Light Ordnance (missiles, torpedoes or rockets).

-Reduce the Ammo to 4 (the art for the armor shows four featureless black blocks that it calls Proton Torpedo Launchers, so giving it four single-shot launch tubes is the simplest way to justify it).

-Some sort of trade-off stats-wise for equipping the missile launcher, such as a Dex/Maneuverability penalty, or an added chance of the launcher detonating if it’s damaged.
I’m also going to update the armor’s Space movement stats to include my Velocity Modifier, as well as rules for how to target the armor using Starship-Scale weapons.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought: officially, the suit's Flight Pack can only be used in Zero-G, but by my calculations, it should have a Move of 210; 600 km/h. Now, I can see why it doesn't (it's designed to operate in space, after all), but I do think it should be usable as a Jump Pack if inside a gravity well, whether on a planet's surface or inside a large starship or space station.

Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I am not a fan of in atmosphere. The suits are just too heavy and bulky. Again, just mu opinion.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
Personally, I am not a fan of in atmosphere. The suits are just too heavy and bulky. Again, just mu opinion.

I agree on this, and this is why I suspect we have the jet pack troopers and the "imperial" mando thing throoper types, they do fill some of the roles when not in space or otherwise in atmosphere.

What I do wonder about though is the stormtroopers seen operating in sace without the space trooper armor, ANH or ROJ I belive we see several as a ship lands on the death star
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:

Which scene in RotJ is that?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:

To be clear, I’m not talking about allowing Spacetroopers to fully fly, but rather to jump a decent distance, ala bounty hunter rocket packs.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since they may need to land in atomsphere (the hanger bays), i can see them having a limited "jump pack' like capacity.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Spacetrooper

Would these guys, as we see in the image ( I belive is from AnH or Rotj)
be some form Vaccum Protected Senries, with the "calssic" Space trooper as described in thread and the "legends" part of the wiki here more the assault troopers?
Maybe heavy Space (zero-g) troopers?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Spacetrooper

Would these guys, as we see in the image ( I belive is from AnH or Rotj)
be some form Vaccum Protected Senries, with the "calssic" Space trooper as described in thread and the "legends" part of the wiki here more the assault troopers?
Maybe heavy Space (zero-g) troopers?
Dr. Bidlo wrote:
Which scene in RotJ is that?

Not RotJ. It was ANH, when the Falcon is being tractored into DS-1.

This light space trooper concept is clearly not what CRM is statting out...

garhkal wrote:
Since they may need to land in atomsphere (the hanger bays), i can see them having a limited "jump pack' like capacity.

The atmosphere is not as much an issue with my disbelief suspension as the gravity. The heavy spacetrooper armor is just so massive. But I agree that it should have a limited number of jumps to transition to and from artificial gravity environments.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading quckly on the wiki what "armor" they used, and it seemed (they are stationary guards/observers) they use regular Stromtrooper armor with a rebreather (and probaly "magnetic" boots)

So as to a light trooper I think it is covered by regular armor also being vaccum protected, whci we sometime could see/deduct form scenes in star wars anime and live action
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good.. Though i am not sure just a rebreather would work, if they were that far outside the atmo barrier on the hanger..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: