The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber Quests?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Lightsaber Quests? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Lightsaber Quests? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've only read/played a few of the published adventures, but I was wondering if there's any of the published adventures which has a quest to find/build a lightsaber?

I've got a player who's looking to build a force sensitive character from scratch and is asking if he could have one, but my personal preference would be for him to have to carry out a quest to build or obtain one. I'm hoping that there might be something published that would fit the bill!

Cheers!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember anything in published mods.. BUT i've also not read through all the adventure journals..
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head:
Graveyard of Alderaan (page 20): Ithorian shopkeeper senses the Force from a PC and offers to sell a lightsaber for 250 credits.
Scavenger Hunt (page 28): Obi-Wan Kenobi's lightsaber can be found in Darth Vader's chambers or wielded by droid within the Death Star debris.
Black Ice (page 7): A fully-powered lightsaber hangs on the wall of the Weapons Testing Lab
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are great recollections, Ryan!

I really like the idea of heading back to the ruins of the Deathstar, since The Bissler's campaign already briefly took the group to Yavin to help with the evacuation after the destruction of the Deathstar.
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
Off the top of my head:
Graveyard of Alderaan (page 20): Ithorian shopkeeper senses the Force from a PC and offers to sell a lightsaber for 250 credits.
Scavenger Hunt (page 28): Obi-Wan Kenobi's lightsaber can be found in Darth Vader's chambers or wielded by droid within the Death Star debris.
Black Ice (page 7): A fully-powered lightsaber hangs on the wall of the Weapons Testing Lab

Fantastic, thanks Ryan! Scavenger Hunt sounds like a particularly cool one for to watch out for!
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, gents. I re-read these adventures every so often in the hope I'll be able to run them.

I really like the idea of the Death Star wreckage in Scavenger Hunt - lots of creepy atmosphere with bounty hunters and droids popping out of the shadows. On the other hand, I find the Squib/Ugor stuff is a little hard to take seriously, unless you don't mind some silliness.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Selling a lightsaber for a mere 250 credits'?? SOmething is wrong there.. IMO they were missing at least one zero on the end of that.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
I really like the idea of the Death Star wreckage in Scavenger Hunt - lots of creepy atmosphere with bounty hunters and droids popping out of the shadows. On the other hand, I find the Squib/Ugor stuff is a little hard to take seriously, unless you don't mind some silliness.

If you can get into the spirit of the Squibs, Scavenger Hunt can be a lot of fun. I've ran it multiple times over the years. I always run the 'Vader scene' with with an eerie mood and play "The Magic Tree" music from TESB (the Dark Side Cave on Dagobah). It's a lot of fun to be on Death Star wreckage.

The Bissler wrote:
RyanDarkstar wrote:
...Scavenger Hunt (page 28): Obi-Wan Kenobi's lightsaber can be found in Darth Vader's chambers or wielded by droid within the Death Star debris...

Fantastic, thanks Ryan! Scavenger Hunt sounds like a particularly cool one for to watch out for!

You could easily make this adventure into a quest for a lightsaber. You could have the Force user have a dream or vision of disconnected sounds or images that end with a lightsaber, before the beginning of the adventure. Then as the character encounters these things that gives the character motivation to deal with the wacky aliens, solve the problems, and work towards following the path towards the saber. The vision should have a hint of Vader that isn't obvious to the players that's what it is referring to at the time, but then starts to become apparent right before they encounter 'Vader' who 'guards' the saber. The 'Vader encounter' could be made into a test for the PC, with the vision having hints of how to acquire the saber without losing it. And then the PC gets Obi-Wan's lightsaber that he used in RotS and ANH! If you think the adventure is too easy and not worthy of a lightsaber quest, you can always make it part 1 by saying the lightsaber fizzles after one use, so the PC has to go on a quest for a new lightsaber crystal. Perhaps there is security footage on the wreckage that shows some kyber crystals being scavenged from the Death Star soon after its destruction so they have a clue to follow for the crystal...
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like some great ideas, I'm looking forward to reading Scavenger Hunt! Cheers!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing you can do is to have the Force sensitive character hear the song of the Kyber crystal in Obi-wan's lightsaber. They had several episodes in Star Wars Rebels where Ezra and the other Jedi could hear the crystal's call.

An extra little bit of help if he's having trouble finding it, have the song reduce the search difficulty by 1 level.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was Scavenger Hunt reprinted in one of the Classic Adventures books?
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Was Scavenger Hunt reprinted in one of the Classic Adventures books?

Unfortunately, no. It was a 1e-only adventure. But none of them would be too hard to convert.

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2342
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
If you think the adventure is too easy and not worthy of a lightsaber quest, you can always make it part 1 by saying the lightsaber fizzles after one use, so the PC has to go on a quest for a new lightsaber crystal. Perhaps there is security footage on the wreckage that shows some kyber crystals being scavenged from the Death Star soon after its destruction so they have a clue to follow for the crystal...

OR make it that, what they find is a holo-vid, that shows HOW to construct it, step by step.. and one of the components needed.

Then it becomes a quest to get the OTHER parts..

Raven Redstar wrote:
Another thing you can do is to have the Force sensitive character hear the song of the Kyber crystal in Obi-wan's lightsaber. They had several episodes in Star Wars Rebels where Ezra and the other Jedi could hear the crystal's call.

Krystals singing?? WHAT?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Raven Redstar wrote:

Krystals singing?? WHAT?

Khyber crystals resonate within the force, calling out to the force user they are aligned with.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Kyber_crystal
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The crystals exhibited a sort of "collective consciousness," verging on sentience, and could non-verbally communicate with both one another and living beings

This is from the link RR shared. Makes me think they are almost Shards.

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:
If you think the adventure is too easy and not worthy of a lightsaber quest, you can always make it part 1 by saying the lightsaber fizzles after one use, so the PC has to go on a quest for a new lightsaber crystal. Perhaps there is security footage on the wreckage that shows some kyber crystals being scavenged from the Death Star soon after its destruction so they have a clue to follow for the crystal...

OR make it that, what they find is a holo-vid, that shows HOW to construct it, step by step.. and one of the components needed.

Then it becomes a quest to get the OTHER parts.

Sure, but the fun thing about this adventure is they are on Death Star I wreckage, and the PCs actually go into Vader's personal quarters on the Death Star. Vader had put Obi-Wan's lightsaber in his closet. If you are going to actual DS wreckage floating in space, it would be kind of anti-climatic to only come away with construction instructions. And the only Jedi/Sith on the DS were Vader and Kenobi, and I'm sure they didn't need instruction manual to build lightsabers, so that would seem to be odd data to find on the DS anyway. Obi-Wan's actual lightsaber was on DS when it blew.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: