The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

An Adventure: The Rebels of Chayloon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> An Adventure: The Rebels of Chayloon Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StarPadre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bissler wrote:
... wondering what your thoughts were on this Star Padre? Would you be completely against using it as a music cue in this context?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV2tM3DO53I

Sounds great to me.

(For a moment I thought it would be a clip of the priest saying "Khalimar, Khalimar, Kaal -i- Maar Shaktideh!" ... which has somewhat different connotations for me because it's the silly chant a drinking friend does when, erm, drinking!)

But the bit you are using, the worshipers singing, that's great!
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(For a moment I thought it would be a clip of the priest saying "Khalimar, Khalimar, Kaal -i- Maar Shaktideh!" ... which has somewhat different connotations for me because it's the silly chant a drinking friend does when, erm, drinking!)[/i]

But the bit you are using, the worshipers singing, that's great!

Ha, love that drinking chant! And glad it has your blessing. To be clear, I don't see the Mah-ta as calling upon the Dark Side, I'm more into using this just to mess with the mind of my Jedi player! Laughing
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levelling up this music cue business. I've told everyone in the group except the Jedi that if they hear me say "you hear this music", they have to listen to this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWu4ieBqGFg

So only the Jedi character will hear Temple of Doom - because he brought his fear to this place. Should be fun to hear the reactions!
StarPadre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the way you think.

I used to do stuff like this in my 'dream intrusion' campaign (the players were oneironauts) all the time. Everything was so subjective, see? And they all brought baggage with them.
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarPadre wrote:
I love the way you think.

I used to do stuff like this in my 'dream intrusion' campaign (the players were oneironauts) all the time. Everything was so subjective, see? And they all brought baggage with them.

Some call it "gas lighting". I call it "good GMing". Laughing

Your dream intrusion campaign sounds like next level gaming - mind blown!
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My players have concerns about the morality of allowing the Mah-Ta to destroy Cohlanga city. They are worried that civilians will be caught up in the death and destruction. I have tried to emphasise that the Mah-Ta have been treated terribly and are now facing an existential threat from the Empire / Minarac, but they're still finding it difficult to reconcile the loss of life that the meteor strike will bring!

The whole thing reminds me a little of the discussion in the film 'Clerks' where one of the characters worries about the construction workers who were wiped out in the building of DSII!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb8MVKihBDU

Any thoughts Star Padre?[/url]
StarPadre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the slight delay. I have been buried 'deep' in my fantasy campaign stories and exploits.

If it helps, Cohlanga is not actually a city. The Mah-Ta call it one because it is big to them, and the nearest concept they have to compare it to are their ancient, ruined cities. I am not sure (correct me if I am wrong) that anyone but the Mah-Ta call it a 'city'.

Cohlanga is a 'Starport Down' (i.e. a planetary surface starport) little more than a small town, and is actually nothing miuch more than a Minarac Enterprises Facility with several independent civilian interests trading with and through Minarac, or providing services such as entertainment and bars. Minarac is a slave using, slave killing (even butchering) organisation, so there is nothing much 'good' about it or its facilities.

The Imperial base next to it is not huge, so that gives you an idea of scale. I know there is a habitation dome, with Minarac employees and others and their families. So, yeah, it there would be collateral damage of innocents, though not on a city scale.

(This issue puts me in mind of when I studied the Elizabethan Gunpowder plot and read of the Catholic doctrine of 'double effect'!)

Solution?

Perhaps tech savvy PCs might discover that the protective shield at the Imperial base is actually two energy shields, joined/amalgamated to make one, stronger shield - a Minarac starport shield and an Imperial Military base shield? Maybe the Imperial Facility has control over both shields due to its crucial role in military defence, but the starport shield might have its own shield power generator, either one in use which adds to the energy of the Imperial one, or an auxiliary one, or a back-up? This would mean there might be a way of disabling the Imperial one whilst leaving the Starport (and hab dome) one active?

If the Imperial Base is destroyed, then the Mah Ta should find it much easier to drive off the Minarac Enterprises personnel and free their world of oppression.

BTW, it occurs to me, a Mah-Ta priest or novice might ask to travel with the PCs at the end of the adventure. To learn of the wider universe, or to the force, or to liaise with the Rebel Alliance. The priests and novices are not quite as tradition bound and blinkered as the general populace, as can be seen in the scenario. Alternatively a Lone Warrior might be sent with them, in order to learn what he can to help future fights!
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarPadre wrote:
Sorry about the slight delay. I have been buried 'deep' in my fantasy campaign stories and exploits.

If it helps, Cohlanga is not actually a city. The Mah-Ta call it one because it is big to them, and the nearest concept they have to compare it to are their ancient, ruined cities. I am not sure (correct me if I am wrong) that anyone but the Mah-Ta call it a 'city'.

Cohlanga is a 'Starport Down' (i.e. a planetary surface starport) little more than a small town, and is actually nothing miuch more than a Minarac Enterprises Facility with several independent civilian interests trading with and through Minarac, or providing services such as entertainment and bars. Minarac is a slave using, slave killing (even butchering) organisation, so there is nothing much 'good' about it or its facilities.

The Imperial base next to it is not huge, so that gives you an idea of scale. I know there is a habitation dome, with Minarac employees and others and their families. So, yeah, it there would be collateral damage of innocents, though not on a city scale.

(This issue puts me in mind of when I studied the Elizabethan Gunpowder plot and read of the Catholic doctrine of 'double effect'!)

Solution?

Perhaps tech savvy PCs might discover that the protective shield at the Imperial base is actually two energy shields, joined/amalgamated to make one, stronger shield - a Minarac starport shield and an Imperial Military base shield? Maybe the Imperial Facility has control over both shields due to its crucial role in military defence, but the starport shield might have its own shield power generator, either one in use which adds to the energy of the Imperial one, or an auxiliary one, or a back-up? This would mean there might be a way of disabling the Imperial one whilst leaving the Starport (and hab dome) one active?

If the Imperial Base is destroyed, then the Mah Ta should find it much easier to drive off the Minarac Enterprises personnel and free their world of oppression.

BTW, it occurs to me, a Mah-Ta priest or novice might ask to travel with the PCs at the end of the adventure. To learn of the wider universe, or to the force, or to liaise with the Rebel Alliance. The priests and novices are not quite as tradition bound and blinkered as the general populace, as can be seen in the scenario. Alternatively a Lone Warrior might be sent with them, in order to learn what he can to help future fights!

Nothing to apologise for Star Padre! Obviously I well understand the demands on time that being a full-time GM entails!

The PCs have planned how they are going to get into Cohlanga spaceport, so I'll try to incorporate your idea about the two shields to ease their misgivings!

The idea of bringing a Priest along is an interesting one - I possibly would have done it had I thought the Mah-Ta Priests could mentor Corr (the force-user), but he specifically asked them to teach him and I explained that the Mah-Ta's understanding of their planet spirit was completely alien to him - just as his understanding of the force was to them.

I had a few NPCs on the Long Shot, but when it became clear that they were actually annoying the PCs (as they weren't helping them in-missions), I had to remove them. So, I think I will bring one of them back on to Nowhere (their base ship), but I'm not sure how much I'll be able to incorporate him into actual sessions/storylines. I like that one of them will be about to remind them of their adventure!
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's us completed the mission - many thanks again Star Padre! We had a blast playing it!

I have included some feedback on the mission from my players on the write up in my Green Vipers thread, but thought I'd copy it here for other GMs reading this thread who may be considering giving it a go!

"In relation to the adventure itself, I thought it was a great one to run, better even than some of West End Games' adventures. I asked the players what they thought about it at the end and they thought that the Mah-Ta species were interesting and believable as was the setting. They also greatly enjoyed the different challenges and encounters of the adventure and all round everyone had a great time! I'd recommend all other Star Wars GMs to give it a go! A big thank you to Star Padre from us all!"
StarPadre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you for running it. I am still 'well-chuffed' that another GM and their players ran my scenario!

When I get time (I am snowed with a backlog of things to do for work, family and writing/hobby!) I will start work on putting up another old scenario.
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarPadre wrote:
Thanks to you for running it. I am still 'well-chuffed' that another GM and their players ran my scenario!

When I get time (I am snowed with a backlog of things to do for work, family and writing/hobby!) I will start work on putting up another old scenario.

Thank you for sharing it - it was a pleasure to run it! I look forward to reading the follow up when you post it! No pressure on this though, I have a lot of adventures queued up - and appreciate life can get busy with other things!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for sharing your adventure details with us!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: