The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Warrant Officer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Warrant Officer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: Warrant Officer Reply with quote

I was looking throught he wookiepedia and found very little on this.

what if any rank inginia do they have.
it is from star wars galaxies, mentioned a warrant offier when not on the bridge in his overalls, he was wearing the standard imperial officer uniform, though the image I feel could be wring as it showed the captain/commander rank

What do you guys know, or think about warrant officers?
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about Warrant Officers in Star Wars. I never even noticed that they exist.

I know that real-world military of different countries handle the rank/position in different ways. (sometimes much different from each other).

The basic concept is that a Warrant Officer doesn't have a sovereign commission as an officer of the nation. A commission is an important condition that goes back to the days of lords and knights, that once given, cannot easily be stripped. It is the basic requirement of command of a unit.

Sometimes a regular non-commissioned person could rise to a rank and position where they could do the job of a lord or knight...but not have the birthright or formal education to become commissioned themselves. Perhaps taking command of a platoon or company if the commissioned officers are absent or killed.

Instead they'd be issued a warrant to act as an officer...a licence...one that can easily be revoked. This would allow them to do the job at hand.

In my country, a warrant officer is the next NCO step above Sergeant. It turns someone (in the Infantry) from commanding an 8 man section to becoming second-in-command of a platoon.

This is followed by Master Warrant Officer and Chief Warrant officer.
These ranks can be given the job titles of 'Sergeant Major'. ie CSM /Company Sergeant Major or RSM / Regimental Sergeant Major.

Chief Warrant Officer is the highest non-commissioned rank one can attain.

The lowest commissioned rank, 2nd Lieutenant technically outranks a Master Warrant Officer....because one is an actual commission from the Queen and the other is not. But in practice, Warrant Officers are put into positions of power that put them in charge of junior commissioned officers as well as non commissioned soldiers.

I know you were in the military Mamatried, so I'm not sure if this helps you any more than you already knew. I wonder how Warrant Officers work in your country?
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this in the 501st reference library.

This uniform is used by TIE reserve/shuttle pilots who I believe also hold the rank of warrant officer.

In either case, no badge is shown.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Find, Ryan!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: