The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dice Heresy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Dice Heresy Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Dice Heresy Reply with quote

An interesting idea was suggested in an off-pit discussion, and I thought I'd present it here.

Short version: use a D8 for the Wild Dice.

Pro:
    -Dice is immediately distinguishable by shape, so you don't need to have a different colored D as the Wild Die.

-Increases the spread on Wild results (requires a 1-in-8 chance instead of a 1-in-6).

-Provides a slight boost in D results for Skill use; a D8 rolled against Very Easy (5) Difficulty has a much higher degree of success than does a D6.

Con:
    -It's not a D6. In a D6 game. Eww.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heresy! Evil or Very Mad

It's an interesting idea, but as long as you're not immediately causing some sort of horrendous thing happening on every 1 on the wild die, I don't feel it's necessary.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Heresy! Evil or Very Mad

It's an interesting idea, but as long as you're not immediately causing some sort of horrendous thing happening on every 1 on the wild die, I don't feel it's necessary.

One thing I had considered was treating the '8' result as a '0', so the dice range is actually 0-7. This somewhat incorporates the idea of having a Wild Dice Failure cancel out other dice results. If I did incorporate it, I'd still include the confirmation re-roll, where it requires a double-failure for a horrendous thing to happen. It's something of a layered approach; on the first roll, you get a 0, which contributes nothing to a dice pool total, but nothing beyond that unless you get a 0 again.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, on a hypothetical basis I will consider this heresy for a moment. I think counting 8 as zero is the way to go because that adds a result both below 1 and above 6. However, how will the die explode? On a 6 like normal?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
OK, on a hypothetical basis I will consider this heresy for a moment. I think counting 8 as zero is the way to go because that adds a result both below 1 and above 6. However, how will the die explode? On a 6 like normal?
No, on the 7. It basically treats all 1-6 results as their face value, nothing more. Only on a 0 or a 7 do you get re-rolls and the potential for exploding results.

Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I find I'm resistant to confirmation re-rolls in general, and I personally am not seeing it as necessary here.

If you roll a wild die zero, then it is worse than a 1 on any other die. I think that works for the 'count results normally' option - It is slightly worse than RAW but it has a slightly lesser odds of being rolled and you still have an equal chance of rolling an exploding 7. Like you said, rolling a zero on the wild die incorporates the 'remove the 1 and your highest other die' option for wild die - zero already replaces the RAW wild die 1 result so here you would only remove another die (and rolling 1 on this wild die is just a 1). And then there is the complication option that remains unchanged except for the slightly lower odds of rolling it.

[HERESY] Honestly, as long as an 8 counts as a zero, I have to admit this wouldn't upset the game system at all. For GMs that feel a RAW wild die explodes too often (16.67%), this d8 wild die option would make it explode only 12.5% of the time. So this really isn't that far off from RAW and would not be a bad option for GMs mechanically.

And for those GMs that are opposed to the wild die and still feel this is too much randomness, they could incorporate the d8 wild die (0-7) and just not have anything special happen with 0 or 7. It still has the same exact die code average as a d6 (3.5), it just includes options for 0 and 7 result on one die which make it slightly more "wild" than a normal d6.[/END HERESY]

Oh Lady Luck and Goddess of D6, I am thy loyal grognard and will forever remain faithful to thee and thy divinely cubic dice. Gratefully thine, Whill.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternately, instead of a standard D8, get a custom D8 with this as the zero result.

Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. If this is real and I ever played games that used a d20 that often, I would have to get this.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
LOL. If this is real and I ever played games that used a d20 that often, I would have to get this.

I did see a set of D6's with this in the '1' slot, but this image showed it better. Now I know what to get you for your birthday. Wink

EDIT: Chessex, for example, has a subcategory for custom engraved dice that allow you to get your own images engraved on the dice faces. Now that my wheels are turning, I'll need to see if this is possible, and if so, for how much.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting.

I have used a d20/d6 roll for the wild dice

but the d20 roll was for 1s only.

Wild dice 1 rolld d20, then look at result for a "complication" or a "disaster" so to speak

or even letting the wild dice 1 count as 1 no compication nothing happes is just 1+whatever else is rolled on the other dice

all depending on the table made for the d20 roll
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dice Heresy Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
An interesting idea was suggested in an off-pit discussion, and I thought I'd present it here.

Short version: use a D8 for the Wild Dice.

Pro:
    -Dice is immediately distinguishable by shape, so you don't need to have a different colored D as the Wild Die.

-Increases the spread on Wild results (requires a 1-in-8 chance instead of a 1-in-6).

-Provides a slight boost in D results for Skill use; a D8 rolled against Very Easy (5) Difficulty has a much higher degree of success than does a D6.

Con:
    -It's not a D6. In a D6 game. Eww.

Thoughts?

I really like this idea! And I like the treating the 8 as 0 option. I would still allow the dice to explode.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting and probably something worth trying out.

personally I more or less use the wild dice as normal, though I do not have a rule that 1 is all that bad but it is generally with some complication, based on situation and often decided in the moment.

He could hit the target on a 6+5+2+1* wiith the 1* being the wild dice
the totalof 14 is enough for his hit, but since the wild dice rolled 1, his blaster overheated with that shot and he has to spend some time letting it cool down, as an example

Since it is a Wild Dice, I tend to let any negatives be sort of random(wild)
with alsmot always the 6 beng a exploding
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dice Heresy Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
I really like this idea! And I like the treating the 8 as 0 option. I would still allow the dice to explode.

I've looked into getting some custom 8-sided dice where the 8 is replaced with a 0, but it's not very high on my priority list.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this idea as having merit. BUT for daring to bring up this blasphem, you shall now have to do 20 burpies, and 20 squat thrusts.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I see this idea as having merit. BUT for daring to bring up this blasphem, you shall now have to do 20 burpies, and 20 squat thrusts.

I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: