The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What if the sequel trilogy had been good?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> What if the sequel trilogy had been good? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: What if the sequel trilogy had been good? Reply with quote

I was gonna derail a thread with this but I thought I'd just start a new one.

I put forth that the sequel trilogy was doomed due to the attempt to have an all new cast, and that the worst of its issues sprang from that.

I put forth that the sequels should have proceeded thusly.

Harrison Ford was not interested in revisiting the character of Han Solo, so, kill him off between episodes and don't get into any detail about it. Star Wars trademark mystique: preserved.

Give all of Han's screentime to Lando and a new character who is a woman of color. Diversity: achieved.

Then make the movie actually about what Luke and Leia are up to in their 60's like we all have been waiting for with baited breath since the the 1980's.

Discuss.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be tempted to have Lando's woman be a cyborg made up from parts of L3-37, making a dual-character in what would normally be considered a multiple-personality syndrome (or whatever they call it today), but the three of them make it work.

Not make Luke Skywalker an @$$h0le*. But leave Yoda being an @$$h0le*, because, well, it's Yoda.

Hell, if we're daydreaming... Make Padme the first owner of the Falcon, built at Corellia but modified on Naboo to be sleek and chrome. Make the trilogies about the Millenium Falcon, and how it's been there, done that, seen history.

Rather than R2 and 3P0 being the ones to lay witness to the change of time, have it be the ship.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
I'd be tempted to have Lando's woman be a cyborg made up from parts of L3-37, making a dual-character in what would normally be considered a multiple-personality syndrome (or whatever they call it today), but the three of them make it work.

That's actually not outside the realm of possibility; Rogue One and Solo both had the Decraniated - horrible creations of Dr. Evazan that essentially turned living being into organic droids. Give a Decraniated a more human proportioned head and load L3-37's personality into it, and voila.

Of course, that may be quite a bit darker and weirder than most people would prefer.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well TS, your desires for sequels speak to your biases against the prequels.

I've always liked the idea that SW trilogies should be generational, and I fully expected a third "trinity" of characters in the spirit of Obi-Wan/Anakin/Padmé and Han/Luke/Leia. Padmé died in her own trilogy, Obi-Wan became an old mentor character who kinda died in the first part of the the CT, and Anakin became a villain in the CT. I'm ok with an ST new trinity being a third generation, something like Rey-Finn-Poe for another trilogy, just not the specific "sequel trilogy" story that we got. One thing I liked about TFA is that Han moved into the Obi-Wan role of ANH in general and died in a significant way to the story. Han is my fave SW character but he completed his story arc in RotJ by being the rogue who resolves his scoundrelness and chooses to be the good guy hero for the cause. So killing off Han is good. I'll agree that killing off Luke and Leia (before the final episode, if at all) is unacceptable. But Luke and Leia should be the older leaders and mentors to the new generation. They can be important to the story, but they shouldn't be the main protagonists, IMO. They had their day in their trilogy. They were young then. They got old. They should also have set the films an amount of time after RotJ that better reflects the actor aging. Of course I wouldn't have minded if they had started the films sooner when the actors looked a little younger and Carrie Fisher would live to conclude them. I would have liked to see Luke and Leia both being Jedi Masters.

TS, what I think you would have liked is for them to have not made the PT at all and instead they just started make the ongoing adventures of Luke and Leia as less older than what we got, not even necessarily a trilogy just film after film after film expanding the story in chronologically subsequent ways from RotJ. We got tons of novels about that. What does Luke do next? Then what does Luke do? Then what do they do. Etc. That's typical Hollywood sequelitis and that would probably get boring to me.

What I think would have been cool is if they had made animated movies of Shadows of the Empire and The Thrawn Trilogy, with the original actors performing voices, just not the same wooden beard/knobby nose/gigantic eye animation norm in the franchise now. It wouldn't have even had to have been "3D animation". Just more realistic-proportioned looking animation. Actor aging and appearance wouldn't be much of a factor to animated films because they can more easily voice characters younger than they are (except Fisher's voice did seem to change a lot so I'm not sure about her). They still could have eventually rebooted the post-RotJ continuity like they did and made live action movies set in a different universe, but we would have gotten more Luke and Leia (and some more Han).

But anyway, this is all fantasy since we got what we got and it is what it is. Mark Hamill is almost certainly done with Star Wars, Harrison Ford is most certainly done with Star Wars, and Carrie Fishers is sadly deceased. The only real point to discussing What Ifs is that we as fans and GMs are not bound by the DT continuity for our personal SWUs, so we can make our own versions of a post-RotJ timeline for our head canons, and possibly even games. I am devising my own personal Sequel Trilogy that will be adventures that are a part of a campaign set a generation after RotJ. There will be PCs like Rey, Finn, and Poe, but they won't be the same as in the films. There will be a villain Kylo Ren but not the same Kylo Ren. (Rey and Ren will definitely not have the same true identities). Luke and Leia (and Han, Chewie, Lando, Artoo, Threepio, and Ackbar) will be important NPCs. Han will die at some point. Some DT characters may exist in some form, and some others definitely won't. Some non-film characters will exist. I am developing my own post-RotJ timeline and the galaxy will be a lot different in my SWU than in the films.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Ray wrote:

That's actually not outside the realm of possibility; Rogue One and Solo both had the Decraniated - horrible creations of Dr. Evazan that essentially turned living being into organic droids. Give a Decraniated a more human proportioned head and load L3-37's personality into it, and voila.

Of course, that may be quite a bit darker and weirder than most people would prefer.

Right. Cyborgs yeah, but decraniated specifically, I'm not a fan. Gross.

As revealed by the Solo novelization, Lando cared about L3 but did not have a romantic relationship with her and I think that makes the most sense (she was a bit delusional in thinking that Lando was romantically in love with her). In my mind, I can't see Lando doing that unless he was in love with the human and some horrible accident happened where combining her with a droid was the only way to save her. But I still wouldn't make that L3 because L3 is a part of the Falcon and should be forever. The novelization shows that it isn't just her navigational data that survived in the Falcon. Some of her memories and personality survived and interacted with multiple (at least two other) droid brains that were already a part of the Falcon's computers system, as vaguely referred to in TESB and overtly stated in the EU). After Han dies, I like the idea of Lando inheriting the Falcon. Male captains often think of their ships as woman they have some sort of relationship with and his old co-pilot is already a part of the ship. So I like Lando and L3 being reunited in that sense.

Ray, that multiple-personalitied droid-human amalgamation cyborg is a very interesting concept in general though. I like it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just hoping the Falcon has a better life under Lando and Wedge that she did with Poe. Even Chewie couldn't stop Poe.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we were specifically told in an interview that the sequels were going to be to see what these characters were doing in their 60's.

I'm not bringing SOLO or other such films into this.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Me either. I was just pointing out that it was at least theoretically possible. Frankly, the Decraniated were one of the more disturbing things I saw in the Disney films, but I do like how they tied them back to Dr. Evazan. If that's what he's doing, it's easy to see why he'd have the death sentence on twelve systems?

Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I forgot to reply above that I really don't like the idea of Han having died offscreen in between trilogies. He deserves a cinematic death. But hey, whatever works for you in your fantasy.

TauntaunScout wrote:
I'm not bringing SOLO or other such films into this.

Other such films. In other words, prequels taking place before RO. Of course. No one expects that from you. I believe you said you view Solo as a legend that didn't actually happen in the background of the CT in your SWU.

But you asked us to discuss. Solo is in my SWU. Solo's ending is left open and I find that unsatisfactory despite, or rather because, I enjoyed the movie so much. So Crimson Dawn, Qi'ra, and Cloud-Riders do factor into my post-RotJ timeline. No loose ends!

TauntaunScout wrote:
Well we were specifically told in an interview that the sequels were going to be to see what these characters were doing in their 60's.

We were also told in interviews that Lucas' suggested sequel trilogy plot was going to be used and Lucas would be an executive creative consultant on at least the first film. Those things did not end up happening because Abrams. A lot of things are said in interviews that don't come to pass. Are you basing your ST ideas on expectations you liked from interviews up to a certain point?

Besides, Mark Hamill mid-60s when he filmed the DT, and Carrie Fisher was late 50s but looked 60s. What happened was, Abrams moved the films to take place earlier, so Luke was unconvincingly supposed to be about 12 years younger than Mark Hamill when he filmed TLJ. In the Visual Guide nooks they actually photoshop their faces to look younger, to try to Jedi Mind Trick us into remembering them as younger where they are in the film. It's stupid. Ya koo tocha ka poonoo nee sok nyee. All they had to do was push the films further in the future to better match their apparent ages.

Since you created a separate thread to not take over another thread, please tell us more about your ideas for Star Wars sequels. Very focused on Luke and Leia, check. What else?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:

Me either. I was just pointing out that it was at least theoretically possible. Frankly, the Decraniated were one of the more disturbing things I saw in the Disney films, but I do like how they tied them back to Dr. Evazan. If that's what he's doing, it's easy to see why he'd have the death sentence on twelve systems?

Yeah, I like using Dr. Evazan, and Ponda Baba with a cybernetic arm, in my game. In one campaign he became a nemesis of one PC. Not an arch enemy, but rather an annoying reoccurring character who just happened to show up in adventures when least expected. They mutually hated each other. I don't remember if the PC ever killed him or not, but I'm pretty sure Evazan did not appear in that PC's final adventure (Black Ice). I remember multiple run-ins with Evazan without Ponda Baba, so the PC must have killed Baba, or at least Evazan blamed the PC for Baba's death. Maybe that's what started the antagonism - Evazan wanted revenge for losing his partner.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well SOLO & R1 came out in the middle of the ST so it's not like they could've properly accounted for it in the making of the ST. I try to be fair to the makers of the ST even though I don't like the films.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Well SOLO & R1 came out in the middle of the ST so it's not like they could've properly accounted for it in the making of the ST. I try to be fair to the makers of the ST even though I don't like the films.

They could have properly accounted for it if they if they had planned all these things out like they should have.

But I wasn't saying they should have incorporated Solo continuity in the DT. I was saying that in my personal "sequel trilogy" being devised now, I can use Solo continuity because RO and Solo are the only Disney movies in my personal canon. You're asking a What If question and I was answering my reality, all I can still talk about at this point.

Please tell us more about your ideas for the Star Wars sequels that should have been. Very focused on Luke and Leia, check. What else?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A scene where Han, Chewie, Luke, Leia, and Lando are all in the Falcon having a fight for their lives.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
A scene where Han, Chewie, Luke, Leia, and Lando are all in the Falcon having a fight for their lives.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd've been okay with a plot that allowed the heroes of Yavin to pass the torch to a new generation in a respectful manner, but that's not what we got. IMO, any discussion of "what if the sequels had been good" needs to include "what if the prequels had been good", because there's a lot of balls that got dropped w/r/t making the entire nine-film arc have coherency. I didn't come into the sequels with much in the way of specific expectations, but I was at least hoping for some sort of resolution to the whole "bring balance to the Force" prophecy in the prequels.

Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Ray wrote:

Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: