The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sensible simplifications for a first REUP campaign?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Sensible simplifications for a first REUP campaign? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this as another, "change the skill list to fit better" discussion.

My two cents are going through the list and make quite a few into specialities and advanced skills.

We have this in the movies "I don't know how to fly" yet skill wise in the rules they have a default = to Attribute, so they can have 3D mechanical.....on a write up, but they can't fly. AKA they do NOT have the 3D default to ALL pilot skills.

I would adre say that starships is in a way like a car in that most know how to pilot a very vbasic machine, but few knows how to pilot a fighter.

example: SKILL - Starship piloting. this allows you to pilot only soand so, very limited "everyman's car" driver.
then add specialities, like cpatial ships and starfither
also make the gunnery and shileds skill under starship combat.

secondly, many of the ships in witeups have a "crew skill of XD+X" I would go as far as saying these are ina waya minimum levels to operate the ship withhout penalties
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bissler wrote:
Ah, I understand now! Thanks for explaining, I'll pass this on to my players!

Glad to help B.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yora wrote:
My point is that simply by having a lower number of skills that don't differentiate between ground vehicles, hover vehicles, podracers, swoops for example, or not having separate skills for Armor repair, Blaster repair, and Equipment Repair, players will automatically encounter many more situations in which their skill ratings apply.
A player who wants to improve his skill to drive landspeeders automatically makes the character better with driving all ground vehicles if there is only one Ground Vehicle Operation skill that includes all of them.
It's a simple as that.

I thought you were talking about player characters spreading their skills around so that everyone is decent at everything, good at several things, and excellent at nothing (how would you make this a reality in your game?)

My comment on the piloting skills was intended as a change of subject to help with streamlining the skill list found in 2R&E. Smile
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

That's something i've often railed against. Just because someone may be good, say at operating a car, doesn't mean he gets to just hop into a hovercraft, or onto a bike and has the same skill operating it..

Yeah, but it might be appropriate to the style of game he wants to play.
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's where I think it's important to remember that Star Wars is completely unrealistic.

Luke has good experience basically flying a Cesna and he jumps straight into a Mustang with no training and does really good in a dogfight.
Are we to assume that Leia has years if training driving speeder bikes through narrow gaps at 200 kph?
There is no indication that R2D2 is build differently from other astromech droids coming from the assembly line, but he can hack everything.

Star Wars PCs are not random regular people (unless for some reason you really want to play regular people in the Star Wars galaxy). They are heroes. They are at least capable at everything.

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: