The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tatooine Manhunt Revisited
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Tatooine Manhunt Revisited Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Tatooine Manhunt Revisited Reply with quote

My group recently had a good time revisiting an old book adventure - Tatooine Manhunt. There was a slight twist to it - the PC's had already taken up residence on that dust ball, for reasons I still find dubious. It brought interesting advantages and disadvantages.

A bit of advice - make sure your players do NOT see the back of the adventure booklet before you begin (at least not if they have a mercenary streak). When one of the players saw the "50 Million credit" bounty bullet point he was pretty annoyed that they didn't turn in Talon themselves...
Darth_Kjeran
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~snicker~

Yeah, Manhunt is a classic. I remember running it 20 years ago (!) when I was in teh army. The players were getting pissed (in character, not at me!) that they were about 5 minutes behind the bounty hunters until the end. Smile
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a classsic. I have ran this adventure for many different gaming groups since it first came out in 1988, a total of 6 times IIRC. I changed the plot up a couple times for players who had played in it before, and also just for fun.

At least one time, Old Arno the scout, was revealed at the end to really be Adar Tallon himself in disguise. He was testing the PCs to see if they could trusted as real Rebels devoted to the cause and not just geedy hunters that would turn him in for the reward. He also wanted to make sure that his modified X-95 Headhunters and perhaps other secrets/advantages would not fall into the wrong hands.

At least one other time as a twist, the Rebels had gotten to Fort Tusken and discovered that it wasn't really Adar Tallon there. Adar Tallon was still dead or missing, and it was really Walex Blissex, designer of the Victory-class Star Destroyer who had crashed landed on the planet. He was the one who modified the Z-95's, and the adventure ended when the Rebels were captured with Blissex by the Empire, to segue into the StarFall and then Crisis on Cloud City adventures (making Tatooine Manhunt into the fist part in a trilogy of "Blissex" adventures).

At least one time I combined the the above two ideas. Tallon came out of hiding to meet with his old pal Blissex, who wanted Tallon to join the Rebellion. They crashed on Tatooine together and Tallon posed as Old Arno to test the Rebels before taking them to Fort Tusken where Blissex was.

In yet another parallel universe, Adar Tallon was hunted and recovered by Rebels on another planet in an original adventure of my own devising. Then one of those Rebels with a different team later went to Tatooine to rescue Talon's wife but the adventure otherwise played out normally.

And in one campaign where the players all played members of a bounty hunting guild, the players were the hunters and competed against an NPC Rebel team.

I was able to enjoy this adventure in every incarnation I ran it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Now THAT's a CLASSIC! (Many fond memories of that one, no matter how many times it was run)

...It's an ideal adventure for starting off a new group in a Rebellion-era game. I remember the 1st Ed. version was compatable with Star Warriors (in which the final gauntlet to be run was vs. TIE Interceptors, rather than TIE/INs in the revision, lol). Even the basic extras such as Stats for Bounty Hunters of varying skill level (saves a load of work by itself), & equipment (Z-95s with Hyperdrive), & NPCs ("Puggles loves the smell of detonite!") make the module worth buying--especially the full-sized pull-out of the Mos Eisley Catina!!
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnarre wrote:
...Now THAT's a CLASSIC! (Many fond memories of that one, no matter how many times it was run)

...It's an ideal adventure for starting off a new group in a Rebellion-era game. I remember the 1st Ed. version was compatable with Star Warriors (in which the final gauntlet to be run was vs. TIE Interceptors, rather than TIE/INs in the revision, lol). Even the basic extras such as Stats for Bounty Hunters of varying skill level (saves a load of work by itself), & equipment (Z-95s with Hyperdrive), & NPCs ("Puggles loves the smell of detonite!") make the module worth buying--especially the full-sized pull-out of the Mos Eisley Catina!!

Im running the last part of this adventure on Saturday and Im looking from some modifications. The Blissex/Tallon/Old Arno idea seems perfect...to bad I had in mind following Manhunt up with a 'rescue Maris Brood from Cad Bane/Aurra Sing (yes, Im moving the into the later period, Im running the game about a year pre Ep IV time) on Felucia' idea. Starfall after Manhunt wont fit.
Hmm how about changing Blissex for some other Alliance founder looking for Tallon to start the Alliance. Who were the founders (I only know Mothma and Organa)?
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Im running the last part of this adventure on Saturday and Im looking from some modifications. The Blissex/Tallon/Old Arno idea seems perfect...to bad I had in mind following Manhunt up with a 'rescue Maris Brood from Cad Bane/Aurra Sing (yes, Im moving the into the later period, Im running the game about a year pre Ep IV time) on Felucia' idea. Starfall after Manhunt wont fit.
Hmm how about changing Blissex for some other Alliance founder looking for Tallon to start the Alliance. Who were the founders (I only know Mothma and Organa)?

How about Garm Bel Iblis? From the Thrawn Trilogy novels by Timothy Zahn.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Garm_Bel_Iblis

Otherwise, check out the list of signatories to the Rebel Alliance... it's on the first few pages of the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook (naturally)
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

Otherwise, check out the list of signatories to the Rebel Alliance... it's on the first few pages of the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook (naturally)

Hmm Bel Iblis (already leading a resistance force) looking for Tallon as a hero to rally too and also military tactical genius. As two PCs are from the now leaderless Kota militia (this is after Kota is presumed dead over Nar Shaddaa) we have the basis for a real military force.....hmm. A good starting point for turning the rag tag gang into 'rebels' with a cause...

-Then Shootout at Felucia. The group Jedi meet Shak Tii (to bad they have DSPs, so no teaching hehe. Next time they arrive shell be dead by Marek).

-Free Blissex from captivity at Raxus Prime installation, this then turns into Starfall with an Otherspace (with Tyranids) twist..exits into Otherspace.

After that, the death star...hmm looking good!
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

I can't cite anything at the moment, but I would agree that Garm Bel Iblis of Corellia, Bail Organa of Alderaan and Mon Mothma of Chandrilla were the charter members.

I seem also to remember that Garm Bel Iblis later dropped from the group, but I could be wrong.

Dare I say it, but one of the deleted scenes from Ep III shows a meeting of a younger Mothma and several other senators, this might also be a good source....if you consider Ep III to be canon....

"UNLIMITED POWER!!!!"
Black 5
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the fact that you could drown on Tatooine...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:
Dare I say it, but one of the deleted scenes from Ep III shows a meeting of a younger Mothma and several other senators, this might also be a good source....if you consider Ep III to be canon....

"UNLIMITED POWER!!!!"

Personally, the movie would've been far better if they'd left some of those scenes in, because the conspiracy laid the groundwork for a division between Anakin and Padme in the end.

Whatever. Just because I accept what happens in general terms doesn't mean that I don't download alternate versions of the Sidious fight scenes and Anakin vs. Obi-wan and just wish the actual versions had been edited that way.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
IIRC he is a charting member only to come to disagreement with Mothma after Organa is killed and decides to leave the alliance and fight on his own. However, that is still sometime in the future.

Ok Garm and some commandos is on Tattooine to look for Tallon, perhaps disguised as a bounty hunter team to blend in with the current crowd.

And Tallon then? Him impersonating Old Arno to check the characters out is a good idea. Only one of my players mentioned that possibility even though that hadnt even been decided yet (they havent met Arno yet). I hate the idea of Tallon in the 'fort' (some fort it is..), it seems so predictable.

If I dont put him as Arno, how about having him as the head priest of the Dim U Oasis? He will get to see the characters defend the religious group against Zardra (why btw do all enemies fight to the death?) and her gang. What then? Should he reveal himself (wrote 'relieve' first..)? Ask them to take him with them (as a priest) to study further? Follow them secretly? Any ideas?

Ok, Im going with Garm looking for Tallon with a group of commandos. The players will probably run into the group when approaching Fort Tusken (a false lead planted by Tallon). It will be interesting to see wether my rather trigger happy group automatically goes into kill-mode when they see a group of 'bounty hunters'. Hmm, gotta find a way to plant some vague clues that they might be more than hunters.

Im thinking of having the PCs find a clue in the Tusken Fort pointing at the Dim-U and the Oasis. There they will find Tallon impersonating a Dim-U priest (in the earlier encounter at the Oasis they will see one of the priests keeping an eye on them, probably assuming he is some kind of spy). With the found clue they should should piece it together. Im thinking of having Tallons fighters and all the gear he cant have with him as a priest (which would be most stuff) stored at an abandoned mine (isnt there one in a companion?).[/quote]
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

"UNLIMITED POWER!!!!"

Personally, the movie would've been far better if they'd left some of those scenes in, because the conspiracy laid the groundwork for a division between Anakin and Padme in the end.

You're absolutely right, and it would make a better bridge between ep. III and IV and would give more background on the Rebels that stole the Death Star plans.[/quote]
Quote:

Whatever. Just because I accept what happens in general terms doesn't mean that I don't download alternate versions of the Sidious fight scenes and Anakin vs. Obi-wan and just wish the actual versions had been edited that way.

LOL! You're absolutely right there!
JT Swift
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a side trip where the force user discovered Kenobi's hut and found Qui-Gon's Lightsabre hidden there.

For Everything about the TARDIS check out
http://www.whoniverse.net/tardis/

For all things Gallifreyan check out
http://meshyfish.com/~roo/index.html
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was Obi-Wan doing with it? Do you think he got out of storage in the Jedi Temple when he and Yoda went back to it after Order 66? Maybe he wanted some spare lightsabers for the goal of regenerating the Jedi Order? After all he did just pick up and save Anakin's lightsaber after his duel with him on Mustafar.

In the "Jedi Heirlooms" adventure idea from the SW RPG 1E, a Rebel group is sent on a mission requested by Luke to go to Old Ben's desert home and recover technical schematics for lightsaber construction. I ran that adventure as a sequel of sorts to Tatooine Manhunt (not taking place immediately after, but the same rebel group coming back to Tatooine months later).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never got to use Garm, the players didnt get that far. They had such a high profile and used forcepower left and right (with DSP bonuses) so they got tracked down by an inquisitor instead. Twisted Evil

Well, with some luck (and a 30m telekinesis catapult for the inquisitor) they escaped (for now) and perhaps next time..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: