The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

"Star Wars minus Star Wars"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> "Star Wars minus Star Wars"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: "Star Wars minus Star Wars" Reply with quote

I just posted this as a side note in another topic, but I think it really deserve it's own thread on a Star Wars Forum.

Star Wars minus Star Wars is a recreation of the original movie without a single shot from Star Wars. Made entirely from clips from movies that either inspired it or were inspired by it.

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is amazing! Shocked Mr. Green
There were a couple of shots I had to double check it wasn't Star Wars..

This inspires me to look through some old films and comics and pick up some ideas for my own rpg adventures Smile
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was great!!! Cool
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd seen this video before and enjoyed it, so watched it again. One thing I really loved is the music. When Lucas writes Star Wars, he plays classical music (and old film soundtrack pieces) that invokes the feelings of what he is going for. This information was communicated to John Williams would take it as inspiration. In editing the films Lucas even made temporary cuts that used a lot of the older film inspiration clips as temporary placeholders while effects shots were being finished, and this video uses some of them with the original inspiration music, which as you can hear, does fit. One year I went out and bought a lot of the original music because I thought it would be great music for RPG adventures.

The practice of Lucas giving classical/old film soundtrack pieces of music to Williams for inspiration has resulted in accusations of plagiarism against Williams for the areas of similarity. I'm pretty sure that all material used for inspiration is public domain, meaning that specific more modern recordings of the music could be copyrighted for sampling purposes, but the music itself is free for all to reprise. There has never been any legal challenges to this Lucas/Williams practice, so the accusations amount to professional criticism, and not legality. Which is really kind of funny since everyone copies Star Wars and John Williams, which this video also highlights.

This video is cool but I would like to see two smaller videos where they separate the past that influenced Star Wars, and the things since that were influenced by Star Wars.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: