The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Skill: Defense
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> New Skill: Defense Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so this is meant to be a separate skill in addition to agility (which is more about being a "hard target" than actually dodging, if I'm reading you right), while defense would be an actual dodge?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Oh, so this is meant to be a separate skill in addition to agility (which is more about being a "hard target" than actually dodging, if I'm reading you right), while defense would be an actual dodge?

Correct. The idea is to do away with Dodge altogether, folding the "hard target" component into a flat Difficulty modifier derived from a character's Agility, which then only comes into play when the character makes a Move that would count toward MAPs. Defense would only come into play as a component of dodging Brawling or Melee Attacks that the character's senses can actually react to.

From there, we can get into Martial Artists being able to use Defense against Missile Attacks (as described hre), or Jedi being able to use it against Ranged Attacks with a Lightsaber or with Absorb/Dissipate Energy.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see.

If it's realism you're after, have you considered analyzing boxing matches or MMA fights?

Most "dodges" are actually pre-planned unless fighting against someone who telegraphs.

When attacking, you create an exploitable opening. The best attackers tend to use positioning and movement to deny the opportunity to counter attack (or to foil the anticipated counter attack). So the dodge is preemptive sometimes.

If an attacker telegraphs, then the senses can perceive and react. If the attacker does not telegraph, the senses are irrelevant.

I'll see if I can dig up a video explaining what I mean.

Here we are:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wdPP0TmqKiU

And one of these vids describes how to punch so that you are not vulnerable to counter attack (getting hit instead of hitting; or being blocked/evaded and hit). I forget which one. If I have time later I'll narrow it down.
https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=michael+jai+white+punching+technique
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really interested in doing detailed fight choreography; I much prefer the Dueling Blades system, where a couple of opposed rolls represents an entire round worth of combat. I'm still working on the details, but at the moment, I'm thinking each side gets to roll their Brawling or Melee Combat (depending on whether or not they're armed) against the opponent's Defense, and vice versa. Since both skills are being use concurrently, making both an Attack and Defense roll in a single round counts for both MAP and CAP purposes, with either side having the option of going full attack or full defense.

So, with regard to your suggestion, Defense isn't a single action, but rather an entire round's worth of defensive action against whatever attack an opponent is trying to make. It also includes parries and any other kind of action the defending character might make in order to avoid or mitigate an attack.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, man. Cool

Makes sense to me.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
So, in a gunfight, knowing how "not to get shot" is a major component of gunfighting. That is how I envision the "ranged defense skill." Understanding how to cut angles, manipulate positioning, height, distance, light/darkness, etc.

I had a thought on this.

At the moment, I'm still thinking that Static Defense Values are a good approach, but an alternate method of doing this would be to make Dodge an Advanced Skill, with Running / Agility as a Prerequisite. That way, the ability to avoid ranged attacks isn't something that just comes naturally, but is trainable insofar as training someone how to "maneuver" in such a way as to make them more difficult to hit.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tough one to simulate (for me) as a dexterity skill. If anything, in reality it would fall under the tactics skill.

But being quick is certainly helpful.

In case any of this helps:

To minimize the chance of being hit a person must be able to quickly read the battlefield and take advantage of what it offers, both for cover/concealment and for field of view/line of sight.

Knowing your surroundings is a big part of it. Being able to maneuver quickly to a position of dominance also matters, but I'd think somewhat less so than the situational and spacial awareness component.

Lastly, take advantage of the opponent's perceptions, assumptions, and limitations. When risking exposure to take a shot, minimize exposure as much as possible, and when peeking around your cover, do so from unexpected places. If you are tall, kneel down and peer out below your opponent's eye level, etc.
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
At the moment, I'm looking at making Martial Arts an Advanced Skill, with Brawling, Melee Combat and Defense as the prerequisites.

Might consider adding willpower to that list. As a practitioner of several martial arts for decades, I can assure you that the main thing that differentiates a seasoned streetfighter from a martial artist is discipline. It also prevents martial arts from becoming a "no brainer" for any melee character.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving this a bump because I stumbled across a pertinent mention in another topic. Short version, rather than going with the +5/+10 modifiers mentioned in the original write-up, it might be more appropriate (especially in a system using opposed skill rolls, ala Dueling Blades) to use dice modifiers. I had originally suggested +2D/+3D in the other topic, but the number ranges match better using +1D/+2D.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, while this is somewhat off-topic, it is the result of what I mentioned here and here, so I figure it's apropos.

While Static Defense Values certainly have their advantages, I'm leaning more and more in the direction of using opposed rolls (ala Dueling Blades) for resolving several forms of combat, and using SDVs doesn't work as well here. However, there are still some scenarios where SDVs work well, particularly the limited form of Dodge-during-movement I discussed above.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actively defending in melee (and rawling) IS actually using a skill.
so I am even inclined to some form of opposed rolls even at times, not only a static defense.

Though this would make 3 skills basically sharing much of the same role, brawling parry, melee parry and "defense"
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been pretty clear from the first post that Defense is a combination of Melee Parry and Brawling Parry, not an additional skill. Perhaps you need a refresher?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought...

Should defense be usable against ranged weapons at Point Blank Range? If the combat is occurring at a range of 3 meters or so, that would be close enough for the defender to actually get hands-on the blaster/firearm itself.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
A thought...

Should defense be usable against ranged weapons at Point Blank Range? If the combat is occurring at a range of 3 meters or so, that would be close enough for the defender to actually get hands-on the blaster/firearm itself.

I would say so, yes. If I can get a hold of the rifle, or struggle for the gun, that's going to make it pretty hard to shoot me.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s going to be something of a grey area, as actually grappling someone to tie up the gun would fall more under Brawling. I’m formulating a close combat system based on an expansion of Dueling Blades that covers Brawling, and I have a preliminary concept for purely defensive martial forms to be able to “power block”: defend in a way that causes damage, so a weapon lock / bind option would be a logical step.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: