The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Potential MAX Attributes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Potential MAX Attributes? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was replying to Mamatried, but you got your reply in before I did.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Sorry, I was replying to Mamatried, but you got your reply in before I did.

Ahh. Mea culpa.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That being said, your idea seems fair. I would say that the retained CP must be spent to improve relevant skills under the Attribute to a minimum of +1 pip per skill. Any CP left over (as in, not enough left to improve another skill by 1 pip) reverts to the character’s CP reserve.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRM and nexx, this sounds awesome, I love the ideas here.

I was thinking indeed such traning does, or should give a benefit, and using this 1/2 of spent XP to relevant skills under the Attribute is something I never though of but this makes a ton of sense
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Since I tend towards less punitive gaming, I would probably enact CR's Force point rule, but I would also tend towards "If you fail to increase your attribute, half the CP are returned, but the other half are put into attribute-relevant skills."

So, if I'm trying to improve my 2D Dexterity, I'm going to be spending 20 CPs. If I fail, I get 10 CPs back, and the other 10 go into Dexterity skills. I figure, to improve an attribute, you were probably practicing a number of attribute-related skills, and failure to improve the attribute indicates that things just didn't gel for you into the full improvement, but you still learned SOMETHING out of the process... you may not have improved your Dexterity, but all that running and dancing and target practice (the kinds of things you might do to train Dexterity) at least helped a bit.

SO if they fail to raise the attribute, they still get a benefit?? Then you might as well not even have them roll off to see if they raise it..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
SO if they fail to raise the attribute, they still get a benefit?? Then you might as well not even have them roll off to see if they raise it..

Well, they're still having to spend the CP, still only getting back half, and they already spent the training time, so it makes more sense than dumping all of the remaining CP back into the character's CP reserve for him to spend on skills not relevant to that training. Where's the valid reason for them to not get a benefit?

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure "limiting" the returned 1/2 CPs is a benefit more than a limitation.

As I understood the suggestion, a Person raising his DEX 4D to DEX 4D+1 has to spend 40 points, on a failure he gets 20cp returned, and accordingg to raw can spend thise 20 on whatever, though as I understood the suggestion, the returned CP can now only be spent on DEX skills, making the returned CP limited to only DEX in this case.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Well, they're still having to spend the CP, still only getting back half, and they already spent the training time, so it makes more sense than dumping all of the remaining CP back into the character's CP reserve for him to spend on skills not relevant to that training. Where's the valid reason for them to not get a benefit?

BUT why do they need to "benefit" from failing? That's where i am having issues. AS IS by the book, they LOSE half of the CP spent. So this rule, not only returns all the cp, but then spends half of it, to benefit them, all for 'failing'?

Mamatried wrote:
I am not sure "limiting" the returned 1/2 CPs is a benefit more than a limitation.

As I understood the suggestion, a Person raising his DEX 4D to DEX 4D+1 has to spend 40 points, on a failure he gets 20cp returned, and accordingg to raw can spend thise 20 on whatever, though as I understood the suggestion, the returned CP can now only be spent on DEX skills, making the returned CP limited to only DEX in this case.

From how i read what was being proposed, he'd not only get the 20cp back (1/2 of what was spent), but the OTHER 20cp, would then be spent on Dex skills.. So he's still getting ALL of his spent CP back, but automatically has half of it spent benefiting his character.. All for failing to advance his attribute...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
BUT why do they need to "benefit" from failing? That's where i am having issues. AS IS by the book, they LOSE half of the CP spent. So this rule, not only returns all the cp, but then spends half of it, to benefit them, all for 'failing'?

I don't see where you're getting that they get back all the CP, as that has never been suggested here. The point is that, while the character didn't get the result they were hoping for, they did still spend several weeks of effort trying to improve and they will still take some improvements away from it.

I realize it offends your evil GM tendencies that you don't get to completely screw over your players on a failed roll, but it makes far more sense this way. A character who, say, spent eight weeks running, weight-lifting, climbing and swimming in order to boost his Strength stat will still gain something from the process even if it wasn't quite the result he was hoping for.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let's go with the full suggestion.

Bob the Pirate has a 3D+2 Dexterity and 30 CPs. He would like a 4D Dexterity, and so arranges some time to train his Dexterity.

Now, under the RAW, Bob would spend 30 weeks and 30 CPs. At the end, he would roll 4D and his GM rolls 4D (as 4D is the human maximum), and if he rolls lower than the GM, he gets a 4D Dexterity. If he rolls higher, he gets 15 CPs back, but otherwise gets nothing. 15 CPs, and 30 weeks, are completely lost.

Under my proposed rule, Bob would spend 30 weeks and 30 CPs. At the end, he would roll 4D and his GM rolls 4D (as 4D is the human maximum), and if he rolls lower than the GM, he gets a 4D Dexterity. If he rolls higher, he gets 15 CPs back*, and spends 15 CPs on Dexterity skills. All 30 CPs are accounted for; none evaporate, but some must be spent on skills.

Now, for the why: Training a whole attribute is going to involve doing a lot of different things. Training Dexterity means that you are better with pretty much all aspects of Dexterity... hand eye coordination, balance. Near-human doctor Julian Bashir never played darts before, but his superior Dexterity meant he could regularly beat Miles O'Brien at darts, despite Miles having played for years. Likewise, Julian never played Tongo, but he was able to give a number of Ferengi a run for their latinum because of his superior Perception, despite their years of experience.

So, improving your attribute requires a concentrated practice of different skills within an attribute, hoping for a broad improvement. The easiest example is strength. If you want to improve your "physical strength, endurance, and health", what are you going to do? You might spend some time running for time (i.e. Stamina). You might lift weights (i.e. Lifting). You might go to a gym and hit the rock-climbing wall (Climbing) and swim a lot (Swimming). If you spent 30 weeks doing nothing but these activities (because, RAW, you cannot adventure while training), you might not improve your overall Strength score, but you're certainly going to improve your ability to lift, swim, or climb.

That's why you have to spend the CPs, that would otherwise be lost, on skills related to that attribute. Because you've just spend half a year doing nothing but training, and that's going to have SOME effect. Your penalty is that you spent 30 weeks doing something and didn't get what you wanted, rather than "My CPs mysteriously vanished to no effect."

*I would allow any of the "returned" CPs to also be spent on Dexterity skills; so, while Bob would HAVE to spend 15 of the 30 CPs on Dexterity skills, he could spend all 30 CPs on Dexterity skills, if he wanted.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I missed that in the first readthrough. I was actually thinking that the PC still loses half of the CP, but has to spend the other half they get back on improving skills in that Attribute.

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understood it on the first read through and I like MrNexx's suggestion as is. I'd probably still keep my +1D+2 cap on attribute raises.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder at what point on the Strength Attribute (fewest skills to improve) would it actually be more profitable CP-wise to fail the roll...

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I understood it on the first read through and I like MrNexx's suggestion as is. I'd probably still keep my +1D+2 cap on attribute raises.

1D+2, yeah I think this makes sense, and will most likely land on the same cap.

this will even allow a former (5D) guardsman to actually improve even his dex, though to max 5D+2 .

yeah I like this cap
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I wonder at what point on the Strength Attribute (fewest skills to improve) would it actually be more profitable CP-wise to fail the roll...

martial arts?

Also stamina is always a good skill to improve

then there are house ruled new skills if any
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: