The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Potential MAX Attributes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Potential MAX Attributes? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
I wonder at what point on the Strength Attribute (fewest skills to improve) would it actually be more profitable CP-wise to fail the roll...

martial arts?

Also stamina is always a good skill to improve

then there are house ruled new skills if any

You're missing my point.

Strength only has five skills: Brawling, Climbing/Jumping, Lifting, Stamina and Swimming. At a certain point from a CP expenditure standpoint, it will be more profitable to fail the Attribute roll, as you will get more out of your CPs by splitting them five ways between the skills than it would if you just increased the Attribute by +1.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that may be the reasonong why the CPs spent are all lost on a failure.
I could maybe change this to again reflect that traning even when not reaching the expected goal is benficial, and so maybe allow for

It be that the benefit is reflected in a +1 or a +2 raise of one or more chosen skills, in the case of strenght lets say you decide on stamin and lifting, as thises are the ones imo closes connected to streght traning, pushups and such.

so if you fail the roll, you loos ALL invested CPs but you do gain +1 or +2 one or more skills in the relevant attribute.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I had originally thought Nexx was talking about was, on a failed roll, you still lose half of the CP, but the half that you do get back has to be spent improving skills under the Attribute you were trying to improve.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I am intentionally rewriting the rules because the rules are kind of bantha poodoo.

I still don't see the necessity of improving attributes, but I agree that the rules are poodoo and I do like your rewrite better than RAW.

It completely addresses one of my issues with the RAW rule, that some CPs could be wasted and it is up to chance.

Raven Redstar wrote:
I understood it on the first read through and I like MrNexx's suggestion as is. I'd probably still keep my +1D+2 cap on attribute raises.

I like that better than no cap.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Strength only has five skills: Brawling, Climbing/Jumping, Lifting, Stamina and Swimming. At a certain point from a CP expenditure standpoint, it will be more profitable to fail the Attribute roll, as you will get more out of your CPs by splitting them five ways between the skills than it would if you just increased the Attribute by +1.

This highlights a problem of the RAW, the wonky cost relationship between attribute dice codes and skill die codes (CPs being the currency for both in different ways). The RAW rule is the same cost for each attribute despite the number of skills.

Also Strength, despite having the fewest skills, is the most valuable attribute from the aspect of that being the basis of the character's ability to resist damage. Perception is another valuable attribute in RAW from the base attribute aspect of being the basis for Initiative rolls and it being one way to resist the Force. Per RAW, skill improvements don't improve these attribute abilities.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

I don't see where you're getting that they get back all the CP, as that has never been suggested here. The point is that, while the character didn't get the result they were hoping for, they did still spend several weeks of effort trying to improve and they will still take some improvements away from it.

From MRNexx's post (Bolded emphasized)
Quote:
So, if I'm trying to improve my 2D Dexterity, I'm going to be spending 20 CPs. If I fail, I get 10 CPs back, and the other 10 go into Dexterity skills. I figure, to improve an attribute, you were probably practicing a number of attribute-related skills, and failure to improve the attribute indicates that things just didn't gel for you into the full improvement, but you still learned SOMETHING out of the process... you may not have improved your Dexterity, but all that running and dancing and target practice (the kinds of things you might do to train Dexterity) at least helped a bit.

CRMcNeill wrote:
I realize it offends your evil GM tendencies that you don't get to completely screw over your players on a failed roll, but it makes far more sense this way. A character who, say, spent eight weeks running, weight-lifting, climbing and swimming in order to boost his Strength stat will still gain something from the process even if it wasn't quite the result he was hoping for.

its not a 'totally screw them over' due to being an evil gm. I just feel if they are doing something and fail at it, they shouldn't get essentially, rewarded for the failure.. Being penalized half the CP (which is BTB) is to me, more than enough of a penalty.. That's what i am trying to say.

MrNexx wrote:
Under my proposed rule, Bob would spend 30 weeks and 30 CPs. At the end, he would roll 4D and his GM rolls 4D (as 4D is the human maximum), and if he rolls lower than the GM, he gets a 4D Dexterity. If he rolls higher, he gets 15 CPs back*, and spends 15 CPs on Dexterity skills. All 30 CPs are accounted for; none evaporate, but some must be spent on skills.

So why not just spend the cp on the skills as is, rather than having it be spent as a Failure..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Mamatried wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
I wonder at what point on the Strength Attribute (fewest skills to improve) would it actually be more profitable CP-wise to fail the roll...

martial arts?

Also stamina is always a good skill to improve

then there are house ruled new skills if any

You're missing my point.

At 1D, you can spend 10 points to increase your attribute by 1 pip, or to increase all 5 skills by 2 pips. At 2D, you can spend 20 CPs to improve your attribute by 1 pip, or all your skills by 2 pips.

Strength is kind of a unique case, though, because it has two non-skill functions: Damage Reduction and Melee Damage, which, BTB, can't be improved by improving skills. The only comparable one is Perception, with its Initiative function, but it also has a lot more skills.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

MrNexx wrote:
Under my proposed rule, Bob would spend 30 weeks and 30 CPs. At the end, he would roll 4D and his GM rolls 4D (as 4D is the human maximum), and if he rolls lower than the GM, he gets a 4D Dexterity. If he rolls higher, he gets 15 CPs back*, and spends 15 CPs on Dexterity skills. All 30 CPs are accounted for; none evaporate, but some must be spent on skills.

So why not just spend the cp on the skills as is, rather than having it be spent as a Failure..

Because for Attributes OTHER than Strength, the cost to improve all of the skills under it is more than the cost to improve the attribute.

Strength and Perception both also have non-skill applications that makes improving the raw attribute useful.

I view the straight-out loss of CPs from the RAW as unnecessarily punitive. You already have to sink an extraordinary amount of time into attribute improvement. That time is lost. You may also have to spend money to do it. That's cost enough, without making "attempting to improve your attributes has the chance of costing you several sessions worth of CPs"... I mean, failing to improve attributes by the RAW is practically level drain, taking away the stuff you earned with no benefit. I don't get to play enough that I want that kind of mechanic.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

I view the straight-out loss of CPs from the RAW as unnecessarily punitive. You already have to sink an extraordinary amount of time into attribute improvement. That time is lost. You may also have to spend money to do it. That's cost enough, without making "attempting to improve your attributes has the chance of costing you several sessions worth of CPs"... I mean, failing to improve attributes by the RAW is practically level drain, taking away the stuff you earned with no benefit. I don't get to play enough that I want that kind of mechanic.

Losing ALL of it, would be unnecessarily punitive. Losing only half, imo is about right.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Losing ALL of it, would be unnecessarily punitive. Losing only half, imo is about right.

I think we're just going to have to disagree on this.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess..
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does this sound.

you roll normally for attribute increase.
if you failt then use the default rules, you get back 1/2 the spent cps, that naturally you can use for skills.

However becuse of your traning, you HAVE GOTTEN SOME positive results, these shuld be a benefit to the player character.

I am inclined to to give a +1 to relevant skills under the attribute.

I would argue that command, Con, persuasion and sneak, even bargain under Perception is not skills that increase your obesrvational ability and thus initiative.

Investigation or Search on the other hand.

strenght I would say all skills are relevant.

Dex I would say running, and didgeing, and maybe the melee comabr and the two parry skills would be the ones requiring the most physical aspects. these skills require a lot of mobility to use, and thus these skills would be relevant to the DEX attribute increase.

we can do this with most Attributes I think, find relevant skills.

once you FAIL the roll, but you have still trained and logically you get some benefit.

how about up to total 5 pips to relevant skills, with a +2 cap to any skill.

I want to rise my strength. I make the roll and fail.
I get 1/2 my cp back.
I decide to take +1 to climbing/jumping and +1 to lifing indicating my traning gained.

the rest of the cps, in this case (30 for a 3D to 3D+1 increase)
you have gotten 15 back, from your strength training.

you took 2/5 pips to strenght skill, +1 to each climbing and +1 lifting.

you have now +3 pips left to palce on the skills under the attribute, and in this case with strenght it will be all skills, OR if you place less than the 5pips gained, you can use these for the next attribute roll.

so you now have used 2/5 Pips, leaving you with +3, this is now the bonus to your next Attribute roll.

so failig you can get upto a +5 on next roll, or take upto +5 pips in the skills under the attribute, any pip less than 5 carries over to a bonus to your attribute roll.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's look at that. A standard 3d dex guy, who's got a 4d melee, melee parry brawl parry, 5d grenade, 6d dodge and blaster.
So it would cost him 30xp to increase dex.
If he fails, he gets back 15..

And by your system, he then gets to effectively increase 5 of those skills, giving him a +1 on them. Dodge and blaster alone, wuold equate to him having spend 12cp. 17 if you add in grenade, 21 if you add in brawl parry.. SO HE just got MORE of a benefit, via the cost saving, than merely increasing all 5 of those skills on their own...
That's making it worse, not 'better'.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Let's look at that. A standard 3d dex guy, who's got a 4d melee, melee parry brawl parry, 5d grenade, 6d dodge and blaster.
So it would cost him 30xp to increase dex.
If he fails, he gets back 15..

And by your system, he then gets to effectively increase 5 of those skills, giving him a +1 on them. Dodge and blaster alone, wuold equate to him having spend 12cp. 17 if you add in grenade, 21 if you add in brawl parry.. SO HE just got MORE of a benefit, via the cost saving, than merely increasing all 5 of those skills on their own...
That's making it worse, not 'better'.

But with a +1-+5 (in pips) bonus to the nex attempt, is a benefit.

adding in that you do not spend the recovered cp on the pips on the relevant skills. Like a dodge or running under dex, as these are based more on being physically mobile than shooting, we can then see that with the failure the attribute is still 3D, however running and dodge gets a "free" +1 to each.

you recover NO skill points, but gain the in this case +3 bonus to next attempt. the added pips to the skills is the benefit gained by the traning.

lets take a 3D strenght. He fails and gets 15 cp back.
in stead of the raw, he actually loose ALL the spent CPs, but becuse of the benefit from the training, he gets a +1 to his lifting and +1 to climbing, leaving a +3 pip bonus left, he can now choose to use these to increase the strenght skills only (max +1 to each skill) or he can use the +3 pip so a +3 bonus on the next attempt.

next time he also spends 30cp, but he adds +3 to his roll, giving him a higher chance of success, again a benefit of training.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not understanding me. IF spending essentially 15xp, nets one the equivelant of 21+cp worth, then that IS a benefit, but its making something that's supposed to be a downside, BETTER than the norm.. So it sounds almost like its MORE benefitial to FAIL the attribute roll.. not pass it.

BUT it seems you're dead set on this, and nothing i say can dissuade you, so i am done trying.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
You're not understanding me. IF spending essentially 15xp, nets one the equivelant of 21+cp worth, then that IS a benefit, but its making something that's supposed to be a downside, BETTER than the norm.. So it sounds almost like its MORE benefitial to FAIL the attribute roll.. not pass it.

BUT it seems you're dead set on this, and nothing i say can dissuade you, so i am done trying.

I maybe using the wrong math, but all logic say that if you train, you gain, you may not resch your end goal, but you still gain.

You have an athlete training for the olympics, however he was not picked on the team, and thus did make his end goal.
He still trained, he still got a fraction faster, or stronger.

I can not see how training should not give benefit, meaning I failed to raise my STR from 3D to 3D+1
I spend time and training on this, but failed the end goal.
was all the training in my mind only?

Or did I train, but Not made the end result, maybe I got 7/10 is this not more than 0/10

and should this not be refflected by benefits?

I am an athlete wo whats to go to the olympics, I train by sleeping and being lazy, never running or anything physical. I roll and fail, I am not in shape to come to the lypics becuse I didn't train at all...... I lost all my invested CP.

I find that fair....the guys didn't train.

I train I "almost" made the cut, I was just that fraction too slow to be on the sprinting teram, but I trained for months,,,,,,,,,,,,can you really argue that training for monts is the same as no training?

this is why I think using the raw here you get back 1/2 cp is ok, butt not good enough.

however if you get 1/2 cp back, and these are LOCKED to the skills under the attribute you raise, then this is better to show the actual training.....after all train and fail is still to train.

so it makes less sense to me that a guy training his strenght, failing , have 1/2 his cp nvested, and he descodes to use these on studying a languae, fly a starship and learn some tactics? But have ZERO effect of his strenght traning, how does languages raise his strenght?

or he fails his roll, he get 1/2 cp back, but he MUST use these o skills under the attribute he raises, or tried to raise.

so he spends his 30 cp to tru raise strenght from 3D to 3D+1
He fails.... and have lost 15 cp, he get 15 cp back

these 15 cp imo should be training related, it makes little sense that the returned cp (that is sort of used already to train strenght) now is to be spent on any skill he wants.

so he is now Limited to ONLY spend these returned cp on skills under his attribute.

I can not see how this in any way is a benefit.

Now altenate he can have a few slected skill that is the most related. like in strenght having lifting and stanina and climbing as the ones where you suse and thtrain the most muscle mass.
he can the put +2 pip in these, and +1 pip in rest of skills under the attribute, until ha have spent his returend cp.

or he can only choose the "limited" skills in the case of strenght this is lifting and stamina, give both +1 and then the rest of his cp is converted to a +1 on his next attribute inctrease roll....becuse he did actually train.

I read you as traning dont have any effect if you don't reach your goal.
it is like silver place never ran becuse he didn't get gold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: