The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Wookie with a Longbow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Wookie with a Longbow
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Wookie with a Longbow Reply with quote

So, in D6 Fantasy, Longbows do Str+2D+2 damage.* A javelin does Str+2D damage. However, D6 Fantasy does not have damage caps on strength weapons.

With exceptionally high strength characters (such as a Wookie), what kind of damage caps would you put in? How do you deal with strength caps where the weapon becomes superfluous (such as a high-strength wookie never wanting a dagger, since he can punch harder than a knife is capable of doing)?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The balancing factor in D6 Fantasy is that strength damage is half their Strength Attribute or Lifting Skill. A Wookiee would need a 12D Lifting to get their full 6D Strength added to that longbow or javelin.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rule is also overly simplistic as to the physics of bows. Bows have a max pull strength, as in, you can only get so much kinetic energy out of it before it either can't get pulled any further or it snaps. A Bow that allows a Wookiee to take full advantage of his Strength would have to be an absolute monster of a custom-made bow.

More detailed discussion of Sci-Fi Archery

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a bow I am not sure, we do have bows in real world that has quite te draw power, so yes I can accept something like this.

Though in general I would give some bows simply a strength requiremnet to use and depending on the bow's power make it 2-4D damage maybe even a 5D.

yes a 5D bow sounds a lot, but look at the actual facts regarding a real war bow and you see that it has a 2-300yard kill range, making it obvious that it has a high damage, so for the monster of monster bows I would consider a 5D realm of damage, though I would give most bows 2D-4D.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wookie with a Longbow Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
So, in D6 Fantasy, Longbows do Str+2D+2 damage.* A javelin does Str+2D damage. However, D6 Fantasy does not have damage caps on strength weapons.

With exceptionally high strength characters (such as a Wookie), what kind of damage caps would you put in? How do you deal with strength caps where the weapon becomes superfluous (such as a high-strength wookie never wanting a dagger, since he can punch harder than a knife is capable of doing)?

I've often been against max damage caps for melee weapons CAUSE Of that issue "wookies being easier to go with brawl/martial arts, than melee".
That said, the LOGIC for max damage on weapons, is sound.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wookie with a Longbow Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

Keep in mind, most physical weapons have a damage cap. In the case of a compound bow I would say max 6D physical damage, though 5D could be argued.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than just a fixed cap on the Damage rolled, how about anything over the Damage Cap is rolled as Damage against the weapon itself?

Say you have a Wookiee with 6D Strength. They're wielding a Vibro-Axe (Str+3D+1, Max 7D). Combined, the Wookiee will inflict 9D+1 Damage, which is 2D+1 over the Cap. Per the Damaged Weapon rules in the RAW, most weapons have a Strength (for Damage purposes only) of 2D. So, roll 2D+1 against 2D and apply the result to the Damaged Weapon chart.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Rather than just a fixed cap on the Damage rolled, how about anything over the Damage Cap is rolled as Damage against the weapon itself?

Say you have a Wookiee with 6D Strength. They're wielding a Vibro-Axe (Str+3D+1, Max 7D). Combined, the Wookiee will inflict 9D+1 Damage, which is 2D+1 over the Cap. Per the Damaged Weapon rules in the RAW, most weapons have a Strength (for Damage purposes only) of 2D. So, roll 2D+1 against 2D and apply the result to the Damaged Weapon chart.

THIS!

It makes perfect sense!
If we take a bow, I would think that with enough pull strength you can actually "break" the bow.
I woiuld imagine that a wookie, capable of pulling stormtroopers appart would have a strenght enough to on a bow pull it so hard it even collapse.

and as to a sword or a club, his so hard that the weapon is damaged, yes this makes alot of sense.

I am usure if there are any xD+x Max XD that would make a human with 2D-average- strenght having to worry about damaging a weapon through hard blows
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what it is. A 2D Strength human smacking someone with a broomstick with a Maximum Damage of 2D could very easily break it over someone's head long before they do any damage with it. Most of the weapons that really pack a bunch are going to be specifically designed and built to take a pounding.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

That's a HR i've often mentioned. IF you wish to exceed a weapon's max damage cap, go ahead,but any damage you roll OVER that cap, is applied as damage AGAINST the weapon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: