The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

ISD minimum crew?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> ISD minimum crew? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: ISD minimum crew? Reply with quote

I know that ISDs have crew in the tens of thousands in some cases even more, however we have seen fairly large ships of comparable size being flown by only one pilot, or a small groups of two -four people, perfect size for a player group.

What I spesifically winder about is what is the absolute minimum crew needed to fly, not fight in any way but to only fly an ISD.

I can not remember the novel or story, but I seem to recall Han and Lando actually stealing one, and this would then making it two as a minimum.

if we look to the recent movies we have the holdo maneuver, where she alone piloted the ship crashing it into snoke's ship.

this made me think could a simeple "steal the ISD and -jump- away" be doable with a small band of 3-5 player characters?

I am working on a heist type mission, a small band of very bold rebels decides to steal an ISD and simply hand it over to the rebel navy (or sell it to pirates and the like)

so what would you all think, could a group 3-5 actually pull off stealing an ISD lets say one docked and then make a jump escaping with it.

Since this is not the adventuresand Campaign thread I won't go into the details of the planned adventure, though it does fall on the plausablity or possiblity for a player group of that size to steal an ISD
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine an ISD being operated, even at a skeleton level (NO COMBAT what so ever capable), at less than 100 folks....
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I can't imagine an ISD being operated, even at a skeleton level (NO COMBAT what so ever capable), at less than 100 folks....

I was thinking this too, however there is a novel (I think) where han used an imerial shuttle with a small force, I can not imagine this being more than 20 at the very high end, though I can assume it is about 10-15 total.

Now this was done without firing a single shot, the boarding and theaft, but that is naother story.

I was more concerned with the minimum required crew to simply "move" the thing.
I know from the bridge layout that ISDs have the calssic pits, while mon cal ships do have something similar to a singel commad seat that at least to a degree can be used to fly the ship.

and we know that the shuttle tyderium or what is called can not hold that many people, I think this is a sentinel class and thus the crew + passengers is at the high on the 20s, making this story strange, but intersting.

here is the link covering the "emancipator" the stolen IDS, and the force used was at the maximum 26 looking at the capacity of the imperial shuttle used.
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in theory, every ship could be controlled by a single person. But everything would be incredibly slow and take absolutely forever.
Much bigger is the issue of maintenance. Things need to be checked, serviced, and reapired all the time, and the frequency at which these have to be done would be much faster than one person could do them.

Depending on the size of the ship and the amount of people crewing it, they might be able to control a ship for a few hours to a few days before they can't keep up with all the tasks needed to keep the ship running smoothly.
With too few people, all maneuvering would be very slow and combat just be completely impossible.

But assuming you have a star destroyer parked in space, not docked to anything, with nobody on board, the reactor running, and in perfect working condition, a single person could punch in a hyperspace course to a selected destination, turn on the engines, and press the button to jump. Assuming nobody tries to stop it.
But when do you ever get in that situation.

I would say the minimum crew would depend on what you want to do and how fast you want to do it.
i would dare to say stealing a star destroyer is impossible. You'll never find one that is both empty and powered up. The most plausible situation I could see is to board one and take control of the bridge, and to somehow convince the captain to order the crew to surrender. And even getting a boarding team to the bridge of a Star Destroyer would be a major battle, requiring large numbers of boarding crafts that have to get past all the guns and fighters, and then the soldiers have to get past hundreds of stormtroopers and armored airlocks.

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Only thing I was intenting the players to do was simply to make the thing move somewhat controlled and far enough for a droid to hook the nav grids and then make a jump.
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something very subjective, but I always feel that the technology in Star Wars has very low levels of automation.
Controlling a Star Destroyer would be like controlling an Iowa-class battleship in the 40s. The navigational calculations are done by a computer, but many of the mechanical parts need to be turned on, connected, and dialed in manually by someone who is in that part of the ship.
The bridge might have buttons to steer the ship and set the speed, but charging up the hyperdrive, disconnecting fuel lines, and releasing docking clamps would have to be done by people in the reactor room and in the airlocks.

You could also make a judgement call that ships don't require any manual handling of components and the ship can be run entirely by a computer, in which case a reasonably high quality droid would be able to give all the required commands to all the systems in the blink of an eye. There could be an automatic component that moves any mechanical parts roboticaly through commands from the computer.

Or it could be anywhere in between. There is no real hard correct answer to these things.
I personally think that the visual style of space combat in Star Wars is basically a reenactment of World War 2 ships and planes, so I would stick with that when making calls like this.
As further examples, we have the Katana Fleet, which was a highly doubted experiment in partial automation that was considered a complete failure.
And in the prequel movies we see individual droids sitting in tanks and driving them, instead of the tanks just having the droid's computer brain installed in its own hardware. (Though we also get starfighters that are simultaneously also droids in the very same movie.)

Making Star Wars more futuristic is certainly an option, but subjectively I feel a big part of the Star Wars style is that it's implausibly low-tech.
If you have decided that your players should be able to steal a Star Destroyer by plugging a droid in the bridge because that feels dramatically right at this moment, then go with that.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yora wrote:
This is something very subjective, but I always feel that the technology in Star Wars has very low levels of automation.
Controlling a Star Destroyer would be like controlling an Iowa-class battleship in the 40s. The navigational calculations are done by a computer, but many of the mechanical parts need to be turned on, connected, and dialed in manually by someone who is in that part of the ship.
The bridge might have buttons to steer the ship and set the speed, but charging up the hyperdrive, disconnecting fuel lines, and releasing docking clamps would have to be done by people in the reactor room and in the airlocks.

You could also make a judgement call that ships don't require any manual handling of components and the ship can be run entirely by a computer, in which case a reasonably high quality droid would be able to give all the required commands to all the systems in the blink of an eye. There could be an automatic component that moves any mechanical parts roboticaly through commands from the computer.

Or it could be anywhere in between. There is no real hard correct answer to these things.
I personally think that the visual style of space combat in Star Wars is basically a reenactment of World War 2 ships and planes, so I would stick with that when making calls like this.
As further examples, we have the Katana Fleet, which was a highly doubted experiment in partial automation that was considered a complete failure.
And in the prequel movies we see individual droids sitting in tanks and driving them, instead of the tanks just having the droid's computer brain installed in its own hardware. (Though we also get starfighters that are simultaneously also droids in the very same movie.)

Making Star Wars more futuristic is certainly an option, but subjectively I feel a big part of the Star Wars style is that it's implausibly low-tech.
If you have decided that your players should be able to steal a Star Destroyer by plugging a droid in the bridge because that feels dramatically right at this moment, then go with that.

Some of this I think have been retconned, if we look to the raider corvette, this is in the new cannon, for the special operations version ( same as corvus) is now given a minimum crew of 2 pilots.

There are writeups of both auto turrets pop up or not, and other weapon systems on various starships, many of these haveing firecontrol routed througgh the cockpit, though it is mostly on smaller classes ships.

I have seen the IDS skeleton crew as the minimum crew needed to run the vessel operationally, wich includes fighting and more, though with the +10 to all difficulties.

However I would argue, given real world ships that you can even with a mere handful drive this, turn and speed up and slow down and such, but since even most guns need a crew larger thant he group that simply drives the thing, they are fully unable to fight in any capacity that matters.

Once the crew is upped and reach "skeleton crew" then yes the vessel is fully operational, still with the +10 penalty, but still a crew large enough to man the primary systems and weapons.

so i think it has less with automation more than actuall crew numbers.

That being said, what I feel lack is a higher degree of autmatization on ships, as I would my players to actually ride around in a custom CR-90, now used as the "immoblie base" since I don't have a PC group of 30

with automatizations I can see a "combat control center" where all fire controls and such are routed to, maybe in the belly of the ship (as in real world) and from there if need be the even handful crew can control and operate the vessel even under combat conditions , at least to a much higher degree.

Automatization, Hmmmmm maybe we should have a thread about that.....I agree with you that this is sverely lacking in SW
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
I was thinking this too, however there is a novel (I think) where han used an imerial shuttle with a small force, I can not imagine this being more than 20 at the very high end, though I can assume it is about 10-15 total.

Novels though, rarely if ever, pay attention to what's realistic, they just go with 'what makes the story sound kewel'..

Quote:
I think in theory, every ship could be controlled by a single person. But everything would be incredibly slow and take absolutely forever.

Even irl, you can't operate a ship the size of a navy destroyer with just one person...

Quote:

And they STILL needed like 20 thousand people per dreadnought, to operate.. vice the normal 60k for a dreadnought.......
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Novels though, rarely if ever, pay attention to what's realistic, they just go with 'what makes the story sound kewel'..

Which is the proper way to run Star Wars games, though. Very Happy

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The story where Han used a small force to capture an ISD was actually in the aftermath of Endor. The ISD that would eventually be renamed the Emancipator was trapped at Endor, but refused to surrender. The Endor commando team was returning to orbit aboard the Tydirium and Han bluffed his way onto the ISD and conned it into surrender.

That's a world of difference from bringing an ISD from a cold start up to flight ready with a half-dozen crew. It's one thing for 1-2 crew to take over operations for a ship that's already fully activated for short periods (Examples: Holdo and the Raddus, or the captain of the Quasar Fire in Rebels), but that's not a viable long-term option for anything other than "all hands, abandon ship, I'll stay aboard and ram them."

Just as an example, in the Dark Force Rising, we are introduced to Niles Ferrier and his crew of professional ship-jackers. Lando suggests that this group is good enough to steal an MC80 all on their own. But the MC80 only has 1/7th the crew of an ISD (5,156 vs. 36,810), and the Difficulty will scale up accordingly.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yora wrote:

Basically, Star Wars automation involves making people, not making things smart.

For example, an X-wing. You COULD stick a droid brain in there to do your astrogation and various flight duties... but they set it up to plug in an Astromech droid.

You could make your bacta tanks smart enough to run themselves, but they rely on external medical droids, instead.

There might be a number of reasons to do things this way; a 2-1B is certainly more broadly useful than a smart bacta tank, since the 2-1B can set a broken leg itself before throwing you in the bacta tank... but Star Wars automation seems to involve making people, rather than making things smart enough to work themselves.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found the comic, Han boarded the ship with about a platoon size unit
troopers + leia , him and lando and this other woman.

yes they bluffed their way to take the destroyer, but I did notice from the comic that they did man the bridge pits with troops, most likely republic/rebel capital ship crew.

I actually didn't consider the the cold start, and thank you for reminding me, it actually changes my intial thoughts a bit. yes a cold start up will be hard for a little team, unless they have enough time to fire up reactors, and the competance to do so, and then have the time to make it back to the bridge, then maybe, unless there are systesm related to propulsion alone that requre constant monitoring.

So maybe a platoon , given time in an ISD withough any IMP crew and a little bit of time
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yora wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Which is the proper way to run Star Wars games, though. Very Happy

To some maybe..

Quote:
The story where Han used a small force to capture an ISD was actually in the aftermath of Endor. The ISD that would eventually be renamed the Emancipator was trapped at Endor, but refused to surrender. The Endor commando team was returning to orbit aboard the Tydirium and Han bluffed his way onto the ISD and conned it into surrender.

Which novel was that in?
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a player once want to take control of an Imperial Star Destroyer and join the Rebel Alliance. I ruled that, in order to get the ship successfully flown to the Rebel (not engaging in any fighting against other Imperial ships that tried to stop it) they would need a minimum of 500 people.

I allowed the player to play the Captain of the Star Destroyer, and have a hand-picked 20 senior officers who would join him (and be able to influence some of the people under them). I ruled out the Stormtroopers, deeming them as loyal enough to the Empire that they would not join the Captain in defecting to the Rebels.

The guy got to decide which positions the officers were in charge of, and decide his plans, then we got some other players to play Rebels that would come in to assist.

It didn't go how the fellow wanted. He neglected to have anyone "loyal to his cause" in the hangar bay, so a majority of the Rebels that landed aboard the Star Destroyer to help out were whisked out into space when the Hanger Operator opened the magnetic field after the Rebels got out of the ship. The Stormtroopers were held up due to the plans of the Captain/Player and some of his Senior Officers (NPCs), but eventually some got out with a Stormtrooper Major as the major thorn in the side of the Captain/Player.

But 500 is what I had settled on, back in the 90s, as a reasonable number that could move a Star Destroyer from one place to another, but not with any combat involved.
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Which novel was that in?

It was in the Truce at Bakura Sourcebook and it was hilarious.

Han and a bunch of the soldiers aboard the Tydirium disguised themselves as an Imperial general and stormtroopers, and made their way to the bridge, relieved the captain of command and then surreptitiously knocked him out. Then pulled the alarm for a shipwide failure in life support so the crew abandoned ship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: