The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightspeed vs Hyperspeed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Lightspeed vs Hyperspeed Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Yora wrote:
You also can't receive any messages telling you that there has been a change of plan and you should not complete the jump to your destination.

Not necessarily. Ships can connect with the HoloNet in hyperspace, although it is not as easy as to maintain clear reception/transmission as in normal space. Not all ships even have this tech as it is very expensive.

One possible option would be the space equivalent of ELF Radio, which is used to communicate with submerged submarines. You could conceivably communicate with other ships in hyperspace, but only in the form of brief text messages a few characters long. This would work in combination with pre-arranged code messages, with each ship having an identifier code so that it knows the messages is meant for it, followed by another short code that translates into a generic order (like, Abort Jump).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Wormholes as theorized are a hypothetical connection between widely separated regions of space-time. This is different from shifting "up to" a higher dimension where travel speed is greatly increased. There's a strong case for wormholes to exist in the SWU but they would be distinct and separate from hyperspace, in that, while in hyperspace, you aren't teleporting from one point to another, but are instead flying "over" the intervening realspace, and can still be forced to "land" by natural or artificial gravity sources.

Wouldn't the Infinity Gates of the Kwa be an example of these?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

That and Gree Hypergates. I have some other theories, as well (Starkiller Base makes more sense if it's stationary and uses wormholes to both drain stars and project destructive energy at its targets).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

That and Gree Hypergates. I have some other theories, as well (Starkiller Base makes more sense if it's stationary and uses wormholes to both drain stars and project destructive energy at its targets).

I'm down with that... kind of like Schlock Mercenary's Long Gun of the Apocalypse, and its later iterations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: