The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Savage Worlds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> Star Wars Savage Worlds Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Star Wars Savage Worlds Reply with quote

These are Dark Times.

Order 66 has been released into the Galaxy, and the remains of the Jedi order are scattered, hunted by the same clone troopers they once served beside. In the Outer Rim, a Jedi Master leads a small group of Padawans to the supposed safety of the Anoat Sector... but that's a long way from the Outer Rim.

So, I run an RPG group at my local library, and in December, I'm planning on running a Star Wars game, using Savage Worlds. The players are familiar with it, and I'm planning on a somewhat Jedi-heavy game, and, IMO, it has a lot in common with d6, but a bit better developed, with nuances in places I like.

But, I'd like some help.

First of all, has anyone run SW in SW before? Anyone have resources for races and modifications to powers?

Anyone have ideas about who or what can be hunting a small group of Padawans and their soon-to-die Jedi Master?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Wars Savage Worlds Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
These are Dark Times.

Order 66 has been released into the Galaxy, and the remains of the Jedi order are scattered, hunted by the same clone troopers they once served beside. In the Outer Rim, a Jedi Master leads a small group of Padawans to the supposed safety of the Anoat Sector... but that's a long way from the Outer Rim.

So, I run an RPG group at my local library, and in December, I'm planning on running a Star Wars game, using Savage Worlds. The players are familiar with it, and I'm planning on a somewhat Jedi-heavy game, and, IMO, it has a lot in common with d6, but a bit better developed, with nuances in places I like.

But, I'd like some help.

First of all, has anyone run SW in SW before? Anyone have resources for races and modifications to powers?

Dark Times indeed. Don't expect a lot of help from this forum to help you not use the D6 system to run Star Wars. Despite your betrayal to everything we hold dear here, I'm a nice guy. I just happen to know a GM in the San Antonio area who runs Star Wars with a tweaked Savage World system. He has a profile here but has been inactive for many years. If you're on Facebook, send me a PM and I'll ask him if he would be willing to get in contact with you.

Quote:
Anyone have ideas about who or what can be hunting a small group of Padawans and their soon-to-die Jedi Master?

An inquisitor-like agent come to mind.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a system based on D6 with adaptations from Deadlands (not Savage Worlds but preceded it). It basically uses most of the D6 rules combined with Savage's mechanics; damage, health count and especially initiative using cards. I use a custom made sabacc inspired deck by the way, a prop taken from the Solo movie.
I've written and printed the rules for quick reference for my players, but it's an ongoing project and not a definitive version. I can send you a PDF if you're interested, although it might be easier to just use Savage Worlds or D6 instead of trying a still to be playtested new system. (Well it's been playtested for almost 20 years now, but not with a big audience!).
I'll be down for trying to come up with a D6 to Savage World conversion chart, see if it can be done efficiently so we can use all the D6 material directly with Savage, but doing the conversion on a case by case basis is way too much work.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Wars Savage Worlds Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
In the Outer Rim, a Jedi Master leads a small group of Padawans to the supposed safety of the Anoat Sector... but that's a long way from the Outer Rim.

Isn't Hoth located in the Anoat Sector? I thought Hoth was located in the Puter Rim, which woud make the Anoat Sector part of the Outer Rim. Am I mistaken on this?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Wars Savage Worlds Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
In the Outer Rim, a Jedi Master leads a small group of Padawans to the supposed safety of the Anoat Sector... but that's a long way from the Outer Rim.

Isn't Hoth located in the Anoat Sector? I thought Hoth was located in the Puter Rim, which woud make the Anoat Sector part of the Outer Rim. Am I mistaken on this?

Double-checked on Wookiepedia. You are right. I'll need to edit that.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx,
I've got a conversion to Savage Worlds that I've run (and therefore playtested). I can send you the file, if you're interested?

There are also several other fan-made Savage Star Wars conversions floating around the interwebs, of varying quality.

Regards,
Rerun

PS - I'm also located in San Antonio and run games out of Court of Gamers.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Rerun941. Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time..."

Always good to see an old, familiar name pop up.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to my love of doing things last minute, I'm working on this today, for the game tomorrow. Here's my proposed Force Rules:

Arcane Background: Jedi
Arcane Skill: Force (Spirit)
Beginning Powers: 3
Power Points: No Power Points Rule

The Lure of the Dark Side
In addition to the regular Bennies (called “Force Points”) available to all characters, each character in Savage Star Wars has 3 Dark Side Points. Dark Side points may be spent like bennies, but only to reroll an offensive roll (Fighting, Shooting, Taunt, Intimidation, Pilot, etc.), or to reroll the damage of an attack, and, for those with the Arcane Background: Jedi, they may be spent to allow the use of any Force Power for the rest of the session, or to reroll a failed Force skill roll.
However, the Dark Side is seductive. If a character spends all of their Dark Side Points in a single session, they receive Dark Sider as a Minor Hindrance. In subsequent sessions, they will have 1 fewer Dark Side Point. If they run out of those in a single session, their Dark Sider Hindrance is upgraded to a Major Hindrance, and they begin each session with only 1 Dark Side Point. Using their Dark Side Point with the major Dark Sider Hindrance results in the Hindrance, Lost to the Dark Side, a Major Hindrance. These Hindrances may be bought off with Advances as normal; Lost to the Dark Side requires two advances, and Dark Sider may then be reduced from a Major to a Minor Hindrance, then removed entirely.

New Hindrances
Dark Sider (Minor or Major)
Those with the Dark Sider hindrance have begun to succumb to the lure of the Dark Side. As a minor Hindrance, they receive only 2 Dark Side Points each session; as a major Hindrance, they receive only one. Should all their Dark Side Points be spent in a single session, those with the minor Hindrance upgrade to the Major; those with the Major become Lost of the Dark Side.

Lost to the Dark Side (Major)
Prerequisite: Dark Sider Major Hindrance
Those Lost to the Dark Side have perverted the Force for selfish ends. As such, they no longer receive Force Points like regular characters; instead, they begin each session with a single Dark Side Point. They are able to earn Force Points normally during play, but any Force Points earned for acting on negative personality Hindrances (Arrogant, Bloodthirsty, Greedy, Jealous, Mean, Overconfident, Ruthless, Vengeful; others, decided by GM) will instead be earned as Dark Side Points.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two species I've worked out. Trying to think of other cool species that people are likely to want.

Wookiee
Pros: Strength starts at d6 (2), Claws (Str+d4 Damage) (1), Environmental Resistance: Cold (1), Size +1 (1)
Cons: Big -2, Cannot Speak -1, Minor Hindrance (Outsider, -1)

Twi’lek
Pros: Environmental Resistance: Heat (1), Persuasion starts at d6 (1)
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Togruta (Ahsoka Tano’s species)
Pros: Bite (Strength +d4 Damage) (1), Danger Sense Edge (due to montrals) (2)
Cons: Loyal Hindrance (1)

Gungan (Otolla) (Jar-Jar Binks)
Pros: Aquatic (2), +2 on Athletics (2)
Cons: Frail (1), Environmental Weakness: Heat (1)

Gungan (Ankura) (Boss Nass)
Pros: Aquatic (2)

Jawa
Pros: Low Light Vision (1), Repair d6 (2), +2 Repair (2), Immune to Disease (1)
Cons: Small (1), Can’t Speak (2), Outsider (Minor) (1)
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trandoshan
Pros: Regeneration (3)
Cons: Racial Enemy: Wookiee

Devaronnian
Pros: Immune to Poison, +1 Toughness
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, we had character creation and a short adventure tonight. The characters:

A young Trandoshan Padawan. He is the secret child of their Jedi Master, but also Impulsive.

A Wookiee Padawan. He's Suspicious to the point of paranoia and overconfident to the point of insanity. He's also specc'd to swing two lightsabers.

A Devaronnian Padawan who likes droids. He's Mild Manner, Cautious, a low-grade Pacifist (will fight in self-defense but avoids killing), and can't swim. I did not know he could not swim when I started them on Manaan.

Another Devaronnian Padawan, more cerebral. A lot curious, a little suspicious, and very pretty... and, borderline addicted to sulpher.

A Zabrak Padawan. He's Darth Maul's secret son. Not terribly original, but a big problem if anyone finds out.

We open with them accompanying their Master, a Trandoshan Jedi named Pykt, to meet with the Selkath to arrange some more kolto for bacta production. They came on a Republic ship with a battalion of clones; they only had a company with them at the moment.

First thing, I have them make Notice checks to hear the Clone's receive the command "Execute Order 66." They watch helplessly as the clones concentrate fire on Jedi Master Pykt, turning him into "Think less Maul at Naboo and more Anakin at Mustafar". There's a bit of insane play as the Trandoshan we've nicknamed Reptar* uses the force to slam all of the clones into the wall. The wookiee dances among them and slices a couple up; the others take the rest down and, on the next round, the Trandoshan repeats his Havoc trick, and the clone troopers fall. Pykt calls over the Trandoshan, and implores them to go to the Anoat system, gives him his lightsaber, and dies.

They get rushed out of the room by the still-standing Selkath, and to a transport to the spaceport. On the way, they encounter a firing line of clone troopers, but Reptar again sweeps most of them aside. The wookiee leaps out of the speeder to try to kill two more, but he lands poorly and damages his ankle; he only gets one. The speeder runs over another two, at the urging of the young devaronnian lady, and the other devaronian kills the final one. They rush to the spaceport and steal a Ghtroc freighter, taking off from Manaan before the clone troopers know they've gotten away (they clones DO know, incidentally; many of those who landed in the water knew that the Jedi escaped, and soon they will give chase...

But that's next session.

*He always plays something reptillian, and always insists that we can't pronounce his name. We often give him a stupid nickname.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Nexx! That sounds awesome! I'm looking forward to reading about more of your adventures.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last game was a bit less dynamic, partially because two of our players fell into familiar patterns: One guy tried to find a pet, the other tried to be a jerk to him. Wookie player was absent, so he kind of went into neutral.

So, they've taken off from Manaan, and our female Devaronnian managed to mind trick the Clones over the radio to make them back off... but the hyperdrive is broken, so they head to another planet to set down and effect repairs.

The Trandoshan Padawan is played by Jerk. He has a repair droid, and the male Devaronnian Padawan is played by the pet-seeker, and he has a repair droid. Now, normally, this would be fairly straightforward... two repair droids work on the hyperdrive. But Jerk doesn't WANT the other guy to help fix the hyperdrive, HE wants to work on the hyperdrive, despite having no skills in repair whatsoever. He also wanted to be the pilot of the ship, despite having no piloting skills. He also declared that Pet-seeker's droid could not help, which led to the other Devaronnian (Den Mother) mind tricking him into a closet.

I s*** you not. They just mind-trick his character into a closet, because he's being obnoxious.

Pet-seeker decides that, while the two droids are working on the hyperdrive, he's going to go find some tauntauns since, sure, frozen moon has some tauntauns. He kills three of them and, to the surprise of no one, he wants a young one as a pet. He rolled well, so now he has a young tauntaun in the port cargo bay, while the adult tauntauns are being butchered... by him... in the starboard cargo bay.

Jerk decides this isn't very fun. So he takes some tauntaun meat and decides he's going to show it to the baby tauntaun to traumatize it and make it hard for Pet-Seeker to train him. This leads to an argument about whether or not he gets to do this, and him changing his action several times and expecting everyone to forget that he's said what he's doing.

We have to pause while we explain to him that he is making the game less fun for everyone else. That he can't do everything, especially if he doesn't build his character to be competent in anything (out of 12 skill points, he spent them all to be as good as possible at the Force and Fighting, and nothing else. Best in the galaxy at those two, can't tie his own shoes otherwise). He also can't change his actions once he realizes they have consequences.

Eventually, they get back underway. They get to the Anoat system and, finding it patrolled, set down on a moon of Pujool, a nearby gas giant, with Den Mother leveraging her Huttese to get them an audience with the local pirate leader. She gets agreement for them to stay... but Jerk, who accompanied her, decided that, as a young jedi on the run from the Republic, the best thing he can do is start playing force tricks. In the room. With the pirate leader. Den-Mother lies to cover for him, but, well, that will only go so far.

The group splits up. The Zabrak decides to get full-body tattoos... not a bad idea, given that they're on the run. He also gets new clothes for everyone, getting rid of Jedi robes and the clothes the actual owners of the ship left behind. Pet-seeker, to no one's surprise, rounds up some feral nerfs and starts a farm. He has no SKILLS at this, but, hey, at least he can control animals with the Force, so that's something. Den Mother starts looking around for work, and scoping out some local pirate groups to work with. Zabrak also seems interested... it fits their skill sets, after all.

Jerk decides he's going to start a magic show. Using the Force to pretend to do magic. While hiding out. For being a Jedi. Mind you, he has NO performance skills, and MINIMAL ability to Persuade people of anything. But this is what he's doing. So he's making things move and mind controlling people.

We left the game as the clone troopers showed up in orbit, and the town seemed pretty empty. I'm figuring next game, the last session, they will play Clone Troopers hunting down rogue jedi on a pirate moon.
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have dealt sooo many dark side points hahah! Looks like your jerk player needs some focus, but at least he keeps the sessions lively! Love these weekly updates, keep them coming!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: