The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A fresh look at the skills , might be needed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> A fresh look at the skills , might be needed? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: A fresh look at the skills , might be needed? Reply with quote

A fresh look at the skills

If we look at the skills and how they have changed from 1E to 2E and reup we have not IMO
made progress, but taken a step back, in terms od they system.

let me take Starship Skills as a very good example, however it should also be mentioned that other
skills will need.

So Starship Piloting:

I see this as one skill to cover all.
it is not very much diffence between a car and a truck in how you drive it.
yes on a truck there are additional stuff, but most ppl with a licence will be able to drive a truck

So I see Starship Piloting as the mother skill, with specializations to incluse airspeeders
even of they are repulsorlifts, becuse IMO they are aircrafts, like the t-16

So I am all for Starship Piloting
-specializations-
Capital Ship
Starfighter
and maybe if there is something in between.

Same goes with the Starship Repair skill. Again IMO a mother skill due to logic

I can not see how you do NOY have the skill to fix the cockpit door on a fighter but
you do know this on a freighter, but again not on the larger ship.......nonsense, naturally you do
fixing a starship is fixing a starship, size really don't matter in that aspect.

Same with weapons, again, I fix my HEAVY BLASTER turret on my freighter, but somewhowcan not
for the life of me repair this if on a larger ship?

IMO the .50s on the B-17 are identival to fix and repair, with the .50s on a tank, or in a squad

I am even going so far as Blaster Repair, goes on ALL non mounted blaster Weapons, meaning that yes
if you can fix and repair ttour hold out, you can also fix and repair your e-web

One skill I can't really find a lore or logical need for is blaster artillery
While I can find the "need for" the skill Artillery, bot in what actual equipment goes and
if we look to the bigger crew depended guns, like large turbolasers, most of these are BLASTER
technology weapons.

Artillery I see as non blaster weapons, and simply add this as a skill, or change Blaster Artillery
or actually have both. though bechse at on earth a CANNON, even a Howitzer IS nothing elese
than a large size breachloader---pistol or rifle or smaller cannons etc.

And this is why I say if you can drive, not fight with, but drive, then in many cases size
don't matter if the actual mechanical propulsion is the same.

lets look at a moderd age fighter..........the cocpit while seeming more complex for the untrained eye
the controls are pretty intitive, and as such a ffighter pilot will not be totally blank
or at an "untrained" level acting on pure talent i he was to fly a 747

etc etc.

now with the thread on Advanced skills, and very related Specialities, maybe we should go over all the skills and
reshuffle the dec a little, that IMO will make some advances skill make more sense and be easier to
define.

If we look at the skills and how they have changed from 1E to 2E and reup we have not IMO
made progress, but taken a step back, in terms od they system.

let me take Starship Skills as a very good example, however it should also be mentioned that other
skills will need.

So Starship Piloting:

I see this as one skill to cover all.
it is not very much diffence between a car and a truck in how you drive it.
yes on a truck there are additional stuff, but most ppl with a licence will be able to drive a truck

So I see Starship Piloting as the mother skill, with specializations to incluse airspeeders
even of they are repulsorlifts, becuse IMO they are aircrafts, like the t-16

So I am all for Starship Piloting
-specializations-
Capital Ship
Starfighter
and maybe if there is something in between.

Same goes with the Starship Repair skill. Again IMO a mother skill due to logic

I can not see how you do NOY have the skill to fix the cockpit door on a fighter but
you do know this on a freighter, but again not on the larger ship.......nonsense, naturally you do
fixing a starship is fixing a starship, size really don't matter in that aspect.

Same with weapons, again, I fix my HEAVY BLASTER turret on my freighter, but somewhowcan not
for the life of me repair this if on a larger ship?

IMO the .50s on the B-17 are identival to fix and repair, with the .50s on a tank, or in a squad

I am even going so far as Blaster Repair, goes on ALL non mounted blaster Weapons, meaning that yes
if you can fix and repair ttour hold out, you can also fix and repair your e-web

One skill I can't really find a lore or logical need for is blaster artillery
While I can find the "need for" the skill Artillery, bot in what actual equipment goes and
if we look to the bigger crew depended guns, like large turbolasers, most of these are BLASTER
technology weapons.

Artillery I see as non blaster weapons, and simply add this as a skill, or change Blaster Artillery
or actually have both. though bechse at on earth a CANNON, even a Howitzer IS nothing elese
than a large size breachloader---pistol or rifle or smaller cannons etc.

And this is why I say if you can drive, not fight with, but drive, then in many cases size
don't matter if the actual mechanical propulsion is the same.

lets look at a moderd age fighter..........the cocpit while seeming more complex for the untrained eye
the controls are pretty intitive, and as such a ffighter pilot will not be totally blank
or at an "untrained" level acting on pure talent i he was to fly a 747

etc etc.

now with the thread on Advanced skills, and very related Specialities, maybe we should go over all the skills and
reshuffle the dec a little, that IMO will make some advances skill make more sense and be easier to
define.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've created a list of the broad skills under my new skill groupings, for the Star Wars system. This is what I have:

Star Wars setting:
Powered Ranged Weapons
Unpowered Ranged Weapons
Body Control
Melee Weapons
Thievery
Vehicle Weapons
Culture
Politics
Business
Propaganda
Language
Law Enforcement
Investigation
Carousing
Fieldcraft
Tactics
Commerce
Mental Arts
Space Vehicle Operation
Space Arts
Animal Handling
Technology
Ground Vehicle Operation
Air Vehicle Operation
Leadership
Gaming
Investigation
Observation
Weaponless Fighting
Athletics
Endurance
Engineering
Mechanics
Electronics
Healing
Law Enforcement

These broad skills would cover pretty much everything, and then I'd have more detailed "specialized" skills. Maybe this could give you an idea on how to trim things down like you are mentioning.

Last edited by Grimace on Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, Grimace. By the way, I noticed Space Arts is on there twice.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in agreement with these thoughts.

I have not yet decided entirely which skills I want to exist in my campaign or not, but while I was writing a quick reference rules overview and templates for new players, the only vehicle skills I put on the "recommended skills list" are "repulsorlift operation", "space transports", "starfighter piloting", "starship gunnery", and "starship shields". And for repairing it's just "repulsorlift repair" and "starship repair".

Piloting a capital ship and firing turbolasers are certainly different from shooting at TIE fighters with an X-Wing. But then, how often will typical player characters be sitting at the controls of Star Destroyers? It's not inconceivable that this might happen once in a while in some campaigns. But it doesn't seem like something that is worth having permanently on the character sheet for a PC. It's not something that I feel should be on the list of skills given to players to pick from.

I think making starship gun repair and capital ship gun repair specializations of a general heavy energy weapons repair skill sounds like a really good idea. They can go alongside blaster artillery repair and vehicle blaster repair. (Though personally I think skill specialization is also needlessly granular and would prefer something even simpler.)

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed, the past 3-4 years, every time someone brings up 'relooking at what skills are', they seem to always focus on the fighter piloting/ship operation skills...
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I've noticed, the past 3-4 years, every time someone brings up 'relooking at what skills are', they seem to always focus on the fighter piloting/ship operation skills...

I thin those are the most stand out ones.

I am even considering many of the tech and perc and kno skills even too to be slightly changed, some moving attribute.

Working on it atm
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think repair skills are right behind it, as they are also impacted by the many kinds of differentiation of vehicle types.

The other main thing are weapon skills. I don't see bowcasters being a different skill from other blasters, and having two different skills for gunpowder cartridge guns and flintlocks seems really nonsensical in a setting where everyone is always shown using blasters.

I think combining bureaucracy/business and culture/law together also seems like something to consider.

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most RPGS, with D&D and the offshoots being the exception, most to hit skills are under the same mother attribute.

Now with star wars we have the added technology for vehicle/Starship mounted weapons, to me theses should all be under the same attrubute, mechanical works, but vehicle balsters imo is a vehicle mounted weapon, and sorry to say Using a "car" mounted .50 and a frigate navy ship mounted .50 is the smae skill, where you sue the weapon don't matter.

as such I would take brawling and put under DEX, as I see this as a "to hit" skill.

No matter how much damage you deal, you need a certain level of mobility to hit someone in a fight.

then we have a ton on repair skills that should be specializations under a common mother skill, repulsor and starship, balsters and armor etc
statship weapons, includes ALL starship weapons, and I will argue that a turblaser that is fitted on a freighter is nodifferent to fix and repair than one mpunted on the ground or on a destroyer.....

it would be like needing another skill to fix your M4 if you hook it to a mount in a car......makes zero sense.

there is a ton of skills , amy have been debated here.

I am vorking on a revision of the skills, moving some and removing some, even adding some(replcaing names basically)
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Interesting, Grimace. By the way, I noticed Space Arts is on there twice.

You are correct sir! Oh a-editing we will go....editing we will go....hi-ho the derry oh, a-editing we will go!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yora wrote:
I think repair skills are right behind it, as they are also impacted by the many kinds of differentiation of vehicle types.

The other main thing are weapon skills. I don't see bowcasters being a different skill from other blasters, and having two different skills for gunpowder cartridge guns and flintlocks seems really nonsensical in a setting where everyone is always shown using blasters.

I think combining bureaucracy/business and culture/law together also seems like something to consider.

I can see adding archaic and firearms together, but bowcaster is not just shooting, its also knowning how to reload it, so that's different than with blasters..

On the culture/law, that's MORE close than business/bureaucracy is..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I can see adding archaic and firearms together, but bowcaster is not just shooting, its also knowning how to reload it, so that's different than with blasters..

On the culture/law, that's MORE close than business/bureaucracy is..

I combined Archaic Guns and Firearms, but made Bowcaster an advanced skill.

I have Bureaucracy/Law and Business/Value.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Business/value, i fully agree with.
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the skills I changed in my games is there is a Heavy Equipment Operations skill that replaces Walker ops. It is used to operate SW equivalents of construction equipment, tractor beams that are walker or speeder scale, and walkers. There is a corresponding repair skill that can be used to fix said equipment. I also have a "Vehicle Gunnery" skill that covers mounted and turret weapons of speeder/ walker scale. Pintle mounted weapons are fired with the same skill that the hand held version would use.

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobenhotep wrote:
I also have a "Vehicle Gunnery" skill that covers mounted and turret weapons of speeder/ walker scale. Pintle mounted weapons are fired with the same skill that the hand held version would use.

I use also that. "Vehicle weapons" cover mounted weapon with fire control computer on speeders, walkers and space ships.
"Capital weapons" cover capital ship scale weapons and artillery.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do vehicle weapons mix in energy, missile and projectile??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: