The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Field Generator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Field Generator
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Field Generator Reply with quote

Finally have some creative energy to start back up on the Leia, A Princess of Alderaan Sourcebook. Here is a piece of I thought people might find interesting:

FIELD GENERATOR
A device used for protection from falls. In the case of sudden changes in velocity, it can project a small personal force field that shields the wearer, preventing any falls, rockslides or collisions from being fatal, although they have limits. It is commonly used in pathfinding. They are typically box-shaped, and small enough to be worn on a belt.

Field Generator
Type: Personal protective shield
Scale: Character
Cost: 1,000
Availability: 3
Game Notes: Personal protective shield that automatically surrrounds the wearer by detecting sudden changes in velocity (falling, rockslide, collision, and the like), giving a +8D modifier vs physical damage. This is a single use item, but may be recharged.

Sources: N "Leia, Princess of Alderaan", wookieepedia, stats by +Oliver Queen.

Its a specific use device and should not be used as a single-use item when entering into a brawling match with a wookiee or when entering a gladatorial arena. Though one could make an argument that it could work if punched by a very strong alien, creature, or say a speeder.

Thinking of dropping the protection to 4D or as low as 3D. Reasoning is, it states "...they have limits." And 9D is the max damage from falling, I assume this is max velocity at 51+ meters. If a typical human has 2D Strength, the perhaps it should protect up to an amount less than max to show this limitation.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I think "Field Generator" is a little too vague; there are plenty of different kinds of field generators in the SWU. Considering the limitations, I'd suggest calling it a Concussion Field Generator.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Interesting. I think "Field Generator" is a little too vague; there are plenty of different kinds of field generators in the SWU. Considering the limitations, I'd suggest calling it a Concussion Field Generator.

In the novel its called a field generator but I agree, the name is not a very good nor is it descriptive. As this is specifically meant for mountaineering/climbing/hiking I would call it something like Acute Personal Kinetic Shield an APKS. I am not in love with the name, but its certainly more descriptive and colorful. Personal Mountaineering Kinetic Shield?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a little too specific, I think. I could see a particular model being marketed under that name, but the potential applications are going to be immediately apparent outside of mountaineering.

Impact Field Generator, perhaps?

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal Inertial Dampener?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just have a device that slowly breaks one's fall, like those gravity belts?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Why not just have a device that slowly breaks one's fall, like those gravity belts?

From the sound of things, this device doesn't work like that in-universe. There's certainly room for that sort of thing, too, though. There are a lot of possible applications there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: