The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Venom like symbiot?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Venom like symbiot?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Venom like symbiot? Reply with quote

If someone in your game, asked about the possibility of playing a character who 'bonded' to a symbiot (ALA venon comics/films), how would you go about doing it?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably design it on the nature of armor to be worn... provide a bonus to Strength, both for lifting things, resisting damage, and healing. At a flat +2D strength when activated, it's amazing armor.. and throw in a -3D to resist sonic attacks, and it's got a severe disadvantage.

Seriously. +2D Strength from the Symbiote covers pretty much everything about it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe throw in allowing the symbiote to act as a Melee Weapon for purposes of the attack/defense penalties for Brawling and Melee?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Maybe throw in allowing the symbiote to act as a Melee Weapon for purposes of the attack/defense penalties for Brawling and Melee?

Definitely that, yeah.
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that the venom symbiote has downsides too. Fire and sound damage it more and it affects the mind of the wearer in negative ways
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND it needs to consume LOTS more food, and if it can't, it eats the internal organs of the host it is bonded to!
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also suggest calling for opposed Willpower rolls, when the symbiote first bonds with its host, and whenever it and its host disagree on a particular course of action.

Toward that end, I'd also develop an-at-least-barebones personality for the symbiote, or play up particular traits that either complement or create conflict with the PC, depending on how you guys want to play it, thus allowing for good character development / roleplaying opportunities as well.

OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE INDEX

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the Gen'dai, at least in the animated cartoon, seemed alot like the symbiote, YMMV.

I am not sure what version of the symbiote your looking to create as their are multiple versions, even for Venom. Also, I am not a huge Venom fan, so my take on it might be a bit off, but here is what I came up with.

Symbiote: The symbiote has Knowledge 2D and a willpower of 4D. It will seek to control the actions of the host to do its bidding. If the host does not want to perform the symbiotes task then a contested willpower check is rolled. The symbiote has 6D Strength to resist attacks. The symbiote regenerates every round if wounded, rolling 3D referring to the healing chart. Note that the symbiotes condition cannot worsen with this roll and regeneration is a free action performed at the beginning of its turn.

Webbing: May cast webbing 1-10/30/90, which sticks to material with 5D Strength and can be manipulated as if it was his own body. If separated from the symbiote it dissolves in 5D minutes.

Climb Walls: The symbiote gives a +2D modifier to climbing skill checks.

Fangs: STR+1D damage.

Body Resistance: The symbiote provides +2D vs physical damage.

Camouflage: +2D modifier to hide checks in appropriate settings.

Weakness: Sonic weapons gain a +2D modifier and fire +1D modifier to damage rolls. Even if the attack does no damage, the symbiote performs all skill checks at -1D until the sonic or fire is no longer affecting it.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

Weakness: Sonic weapons gain a +2D modifier and fire +1D modifier to damage rolls. Even if the attack does no damage, the symbiote performs all skill checks at -1D until the sonic or fire is no longer affecting it.

This might be a little under-performing for its weakness. Since the Symbiote resists damage at 6D, it would mean that a human with a symbiote up still resisted sound attacks as well as the strongest human, and fire better than them. From a gameplay perspective, it also means that an area attack with a symbiote will need 2 additional damage dice rolled.

I would instead impose a penalty on the symbiote resisting those damages... at least -2D for fire (meaning it is a strong human) and -3D for sonic (but I'm also remembering it being forced off Eddie Brock by a particularly loud church bell...)

Does a non-Spider-man attuned symbiote confer enhanced strength? Or is that just because Venom was originally bonded to Spider-man?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say -3d fire/-4d sonic.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than webbing, I'd suggest allowing the symbiote to shape itself into tentacles. Not with the same reach as webbing, but more versatile; grab things, or form eyes that allow the wearer to peek around corners and such.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Rather than webbing, I'd suggest allowing the symbiote to shape itself into tentacles. Not with the same reach as webbing, but more versatile; grab things, or form eyes that allow the wearer to peek around corners and such.

What would the lifting capacity/per rating of those tentacles be?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
What would the lifting capacity/per rating of those tentacles be?
Offhand, I'd say a base Strength of 4D, but decreasing the further the tentacle has to reach.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: