The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Soaking Blaster Bolts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Soaking Blaster Bolts Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should characters be able to soak blaster bolts?
Yes
46%
 46%  [ 14 ]
No
53%
 53%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 30

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I haven't had a problem with PCs standing there and taking hits. I've had PCs running away for cover and dodging, but flub the roll, get hit, and then get really lucky on the damage resistance roll and soak the blast. I've also had the opposite happen where a PC blasts an NPC who soaks it. It's not that it happens a lot. It's just that every single time it does happen, it smacks me right out of the SWU. Soft fleshy characters like unarmored humans should not be able to soak blaster bolts, at all. Once is too much.

I've seen some players, who REJOICE when they are the ones who luck out and soak it fully, after a bad dodge roll. BUT THEN scream bloody murder, when they see me roll an outstanding soak for the npcs they just shot.. Like they feel, ONLY PCS should get to soak it all, npcs should always take some damage..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I've seen some players, who REJOICE when they are the ones who luck out and soak it fully, after a bad dodge roll. BUT THEN scream bloody murder, when they see me roll an outstanding soak for the npcs they just shot.. Like they feel, ONLY PCS should get to soak it all, npcs should always take some damage..

Of course you'll have players like that. I made a separate damage/wound system for mooks (no wounded twice or mortally wounded), so PCs have some advantages over NPCs in my game. But for soaking blaster bolts, I feel the same way for PCs and NPCs. PCs need to boost the dodge to not get hit in the first place.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wanted to change the soak mechanics, I'd probably a variation on d6 Space's hand to hand damage... instead of simple Strength (as Star Wars uses), it's 1D+1 pip per die of Strength. So, at a 2D strength, your soak is 1D+2... not much different. At 3D, it's 2D. At 6D Strength, it's 3D. On top of this, you wear armor, making it much more attractive and useful.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
If I wanted to change the soak mechanics, I'd probably a variation on d6 Space's hand to hand damage... instead of simple Strength (as Star Wars uses), it's 1D+1 pip per die of Strength. So, at a 2D strength, your soak is 1D+2... not much different. At 3D, it's 2D. At 6D Strength, it's 3D. On top of this, you wear armor, making it much more attractive and useful.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Are you referring to Strength Damage? That lowers your hand-to-hand attack Strength for damage dice calculation purposes, not the target's Strength to Resist Damage. And that is not "1D+1 pip per die of Strength" but I admit I'm not even sure what you mean by this. The D6 Space formula for calculating the Strength Damage stat is "take the character's Strength or lift and drop the pips. Divide by 2, and round up." That does sometimes equal half, like some of your examples.

Are you suggesting applying this brawling/melee strength damage rule to damage resistance rolls against blaster damage? That seems drastic. I certainly do not feel it should be that low. I am accepting the rest of the outcomes from the normal calculation (stunned is begrudgingly accepted). My issue is with the soaking result only. From the poll, it seems clear that I am not the only one with this issue.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have somehow internalized an imaginary version of d6 Space, to be honest.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I have somehow internalized an imaginary version of d6 Space, to be honest.

LOL

EDIT: Star Wars Damage D6
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought on this, insofar as a simple rule...

Just tie it to armor. As in, if the character has an armor rating of +1D or more against energy damage, they can soak damage as per the RAW. If they don't, the minimum result for a successful hit is a Stunned result. This could be applied to physical damage, as well.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
A thought on this, insofar as a simple rule...

Just tie it to armor. As in, if the character has an armor rating of +1D or more against energy damage, they can soak damage as per the RAW. If they don't, the minimum result for a successful hit is a Stunned result. This could be applied to physical damage, as well.

I have no issue with physical damage having no effect. It was just soaking energy damage that was the issue.

Your suggestion would work for me for energy damage because my stormtrooper armor only has +1 to resist energy damage, and the films never show stormtroopers soaking blaster bolts (or definitively show less than an incapacitated result).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Antilles
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I allow my characters to soak blaster bolts, but I do it in the following way: since the adventure is played text-online (this way is easier), I interpret the "hit" or "miss" of the blaster shot taking into account not only blaster skill roll, but also damage skill roll. So, when a character (PC or NPC) "soak a blaster bolt", I usually say: "his stormtrooper armor resisted the impact..." or "the shot, although well aimed, scorched [insert PC's name here]'s vest...".

Maybe is not the best/realistic according to the rules solution, but maybe a good dramatic one.

Very Happy
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that SWD6 is a game and that there are mechanics we need to consider.
However, people in real life DO have the ability to soak bullets, yes to a degree.

I am not thinking of armor in this context, but rather what we call a gracing blow, I have seen people taking shrapnel to the body, though with negilgble injuries, a few scratches and burns, nothing more......however he was dazed and confused, having little or no ability to fight for quite a while. I guess we could call it a stun, and a long lasting one.

Now I am on the fense about soaking as I belive that a dimishing soak is the most realistic and the best way.
and most often combined with penalties to actions.

I am thinkking that if you are shot, you are hit, but you roll so that you take no damage according to the mechanics, I would rule you may act, but at a severe penalty, though only for the next action.

so hero heroic took a balster shot to his armor, yes even as heroic as hero heroic is he chose to wear armor.
He rolls 3D6 + his 1D armor for a totla of 4D6= 20 a very ver good roll
the attacker rolls ery badly on his 5D stomtrooper carbine, and rolls 5D6 = 9.

Looking at the game mechanics this is negated ,which I disagree with.

I would argue he doesn't take injuries, but he looses his aim, his intiative and such. basically taking a penatly in pip upto full dice to his NEXT action in this round of combat, he also loose his intiative and will have to act either later in the round, or last.

He will during the round, the duration of his "daze" from the impact of the shot be at -1 to any and all actions until next intiative is rolled.

if he takes ijuries, I would add injuries and the penalties for them and then add in the penalties for being daze and feeling the sheer impact.

I have taken a 9mm to my vest once, lets say it was niether planned or anything I would like to repeat, but even the "small" calible knocked the wind out of me, took avay my initiave and aggression, I had re focus and then take my time after going down to gt up and then press on, this the sheer knietic impact, something I think the rules have negated, as we do see that blaster bolts have a heavy kientic impact as well.

So I would argue that if hit, you loose your intiative phase and must act later in the round, any attack or aiming, is reduced, so is any action that is not to gain back your focus, get back on your feet and the like.

So I would have a dimishing soak combined with penalties, fir gracing wounds and even the hit=0 damage.

how to make it into a tbale though is still a work in progress
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

I have taken a 9mm to my vest once, lets say it was niether planned or anything I would like to repeat, but even the "small" calible knocked the wind out of me, took avay my initiave and aggression, I had re focus and then take my time after going down to gt up and then press on, this the sheer knietic impact, something I think the rules have negated, as we do see that blaster bolts have a heavy kientic impact as well.

I've seen videos of cops/troops, doing training exercises, and even WITH them wearing a plate carrier vest, and an under s*** protective vest too, when they got shot, they got knocked down...
So perhaps, even IF you 'soak' the damage, you still get knocked down, and thus lose your action(s)...
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no issues with soaking physical damage as in RAW, and bullets against bullet proof protection would qualify as physical damage. I think it is quite reasonable for a GM to rule that soaking some physical damage still knocked the character down. My issue was with blasters, which do not exist in the real world. Our primary source for how they work is the SW films.

As I probably already mentioned, I already "interpret the results." We never see blasters cause what would be a stunned result in the films — Blasters seems to cause at least wounded for important characters and incapacitated or worse for mooks (including armored stormtroopers). I wasn't advocating removing stunned results for energy weapon damage. I already interpret stunned as grazes or very near misses. I do not use random hit location for characters in my game, because I handle hit location narratively through interpreting the results — I see what the wound result is and then decide where on the character's body the wound is to make it seem right for the wound severity and damage type.

Since I already reinterpret energy stuns as grazes or near misses, I didn't want to go one step further and also reinterpret soaking hits as misses. It seems easier to just have a minimum damage of stunned for blasters, except for certain circumstances as I wrote in my optional rule on the SW D6 Damage web page. But everyone should do whatever works best for them.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't really thought about this much, but upon reflection, I agree that it's not something we really see in the source material (films).

I highly encourage my players to buy up lots of Dodge at character creation. And our addition of the Dazed condition (house rules can be found in my sig) alleviates even powerful characters like Wookiees just sitting there and allowing blaster bolts to bounce off their chests.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also my suggestion here of weapons having an effect less than Stunned. Inserting these into an expanded damaged chart could be a handy way of adding interim steps.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I had no issues with soaking physical damage as in RAW, and bullets against bullet proof protection would qualify as physical damage. I think it is quite reasonable for a GM to rule that soaking some physical damage still knocked the character down. My issue was with blasters, which do not exist in the real world. Our primary source for how they work is the SW films.

But even then, the source material we see is anyone who gets shot (other than that hold out that hit Phasma in the last jedi), knocked the target down..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: