The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Particle Shields
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Particle Shields Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember if it is ROTJ or ESB but I think Han Solo is flying through an asteroid field, where asteroids are "bouncing" on the ship and hull.

I think simply it is basically meant to indicate "what" you use the shileds for, if you turn off energy shileding you are left with particle shileds.

To me this is simply something like this: hull 3D shileds 2D+2 total roll 5D+2
with shileds.
turn of off energy shields you roll 3D+2, on ALL energy attacks, but now you have the max 5D+2 vs things like space rocks and people using hammers to try get into your ship.

However all energy attacks now pass through and you roll -2D on those attacks, while keeping collison damage at "now" full shilding.

I think this makes sense, as we see like the A wing crashing ino the executor.

He passed thtough the energy shileds, making no worth wile shileding vs collisionbecuse the focus is space combat and in a space with little debris.

Once the energy shiled that is now active is pierced, then you have what ever is left as any particle shilding.

Now I am quite sure with the swarm of fighters that the executor had energy shields close to maxed out in all arcs.
so once the a wing got through the executor defended with hull only.
having 0 particle shileding, making the vessel vulnerable for exactly that...collisions.

I think we sort of see this several times.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
So proton torpedoes can still bypass ray shields, right?

The scene from RotS aboard the Invisible Hand suggests that ray shields don't allow matter to pass through them, either. This is part of what sparked my latest re-write of proton torpedoes, cocooning them in an energy sheath that both protects the torpedo from damage (from point defense weaponry and the like) and partially disrupts any energy shields they encounter.

So proton torpedoes are special. Your rewrite makes them make more sense to what we see in the films than WEG did. What else is new?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that the Proton Torpedo actually have an active ion charge, and this is the "breach" charge if you will making able to penetrate shields.

the breaching charge it sends out, weakens or even removes the shiled for penetration purpose, however the breach charge is not powerful enough to create a breach greater than what is needed to "push" the torpedo through.

I can envision an active transmitting warhead, sending out a small ion pulse poweful enough to breach shiled, and as such the weapon is effective against shileded starships as we see in the movies.

in fact looking at the sequals and the impacts of non balster weapons, we in most cases see the "blue" shiled flash a moment as the weapon penetrates
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So perhaps proton torpedos, have instead of 9d (fighter) scale damage, they should have maybe 6 or 7d, BUT each one ignores 2d of shields, due to that "ion pre-charge'?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So perhaps proton torpedos, have instead of 9d (fighter) scale damage, they should have maybe 6 or 7d, BUT each one ignores 2d of shields, due to that "ion pre-charge'?

I went with a 3D modifier, applied either to resist damage from point defenses (with a base Hull of 1D Starfighter-Scale for all ordnance, so a pro-torp soaks at 4D) or it ignores up to 3D of Shields, factoring in Scale modifiers (this works better when using my Shields-as-Cover optional rule).

For example, under my optional rule, the initial attack would roll against just the target's Shields to see if they penetrate. An ISD with 3D Shields and a 6D Scale modifier would normally roll 9D to resist a massed missile attack, but with torpedoes, it drops to 6D.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
So proton torpedoes are special. Your rewrite makes them make more sense to what we see in the films than WEG did. What else is new?
LOL. In fairness, I had a bit more time to work on my version than they did.

Whill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair but that is balanced out by the fact that you weren't paid to do it. We're just fans giving to the community out of sheer love of the game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Fair but that is balanced out by the fact that you weren't paid to do it. We're just fans giving to the community out of sheer love of the game.

Can you imagine the scrum of applications if a company somehow managed to start producing Star Wars D6 material under license again?

Macavity
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Particle Shield System Reply with quote

So I've been having a detailed think about Particle Shields in Star Wars and how the text in the WEG Star Wars 2nd Edition book is worded.

Quote:
Particle shields deflect all sorts of physical objects, including asteroids, missiles and proton torpedoes. They are used at all times, except when a ship launches fighters, missiles or torpedoes (the shields must be dropped to allow physical objects to pass through them). When a ship lowers its particle shields, reduce its hull code by -2D. (A ship which loses its main power generator also loses its particle shields.)

With the outside information about TIE fighters not having particle shields perhaps we can say that starships with MORE than 2D Hull have particle shields up to 2D and starships with 2D or lower Hull values do not have particle shields and rely on their small size and maneuverability to avoid larger collisions while their 2D (starfighter scale) hull is enough to protect them from micro-impacts.

I think it is beneficial to system balance for ships to roll at least 2D in hull whether their particle shields are up or down, and have a minimum level of resistance against any attack or impact damage.

A micro-meteroid impact with the force of a bullet that might be dangerous to an astronaut gets shrugged off with scale modifiers from a starfigther-scale ship.

Also, given the prevalence of cheap repulsorlift tech, perhaps the particle shield system uses the same technology to repel objects with mass from a ship, cushioning the ship from impacts the same way the repulsorlift cushions the ship during landing. Maybe particle shields can be tuned to act against objects within a certain size-range or maybe more likely, power up against any object travelling faster than a set speed.

We know from cannon sources (the prequel repulsorlift tanks and Gungan shields) that energy shields interfere with repulsorlift technology, so perhaps that accounts for how smaller starfighters and Proton Torpedoes are able to penetrate a ship's particle shields - thereby ignoring them.

With this in mind, repulsorlifts might be able to be used during spaceflight - directed to a uniform array of flat repulsor plates across a spaceship hull - as particle shields! There would be no need for separate particle shield generators - just shield waveguides, repulsor plates tuned for high-speed object rejection

Small ships might want to avoid equipping particle shields because their small size limits their available hull surface (what I call hardpoints in my Starship Creation Guide) and the necessary repulsor emitter plates for a contiguous particle shield would just take up too much hull real-estate (hardpoints) that they need for engines, weapon mounts, energy shield emitters, sensors, landing gear, wings, heat radiators, and a cockpit.

Damage to the ship's particle shield system could take the form of repulsor waveguides being burned out by hard impacts.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer to have Particle Shields 1D as stock with the option of upgrading as high as 2D.

Macavity
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I'd prefer to have Particle Shields 1D as stock with the option of upgrading as high as 2D.

I think that should certainly be an option for GMs to have in their games. But it should be optional if other GMs want to stick with the 2D from WEG.

I also think it could be reasonable that TIE fighters don't have any Particle Shields at all, and the rational for that could be saving hull space - since they've chosen to save space by omitting retractable landing gear as well.

Explaining that ships with 2D or lower Hull don't have particle shields frees both groups up from the -2D or -1D result in a ship rolling 0D to resist damage with their powerplant down.

They would end up rolling 0D+2 with the Particle Shields 1D as stock for the Tenlos Hornet Interceptor (Hull: 1D+2) for example, and 1D for all the many starfighters that are listed with 2D Hull.

I think it helps us as GMs from a game-design standpoint if we rule that ships with over 2D of Hull have particle shields and ships 2D and under don't have particle shields so that there's a baseline resistance of around 2D for most spaceships at Starfighter scale without power or particle shield damage.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of my reasoning is that in my SWU, particle shields are essential for the operation of starships, providing protection from high-velocity impact in space and shaping into a low/no drag aerodynamic form to ease a ship's passage through the atmosphere.

Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macavity, particle shield tech could very well be an extension of repulsorlift tech. For the sake of my disbelief suspension, they also include an element of Star Trek's 'structural integrity fields.'

The problem with low Hull ships not having particle shields is that particle shields were invented to be a hand wave that required no game mechanics. High speed space ships must have protection against micro-meteor impacts and atmospheric friction. No rolls needed for these things. Remember, it isn't the inherent danger of micrometeors, but rather it is the relative velocities involved in space travel (or decent to planets) which make them dangerous. If some spaceships don't have particle shields and you invoke scale rules to protect ships, you are (1) not considering that the micrometeor's added damage value from the velocities involved as the ship unknowingly plows into a particle, and (2) you are bringing game mechanics and dice rolls unnecessarily into the game for mundane things like micrometeors and atmospheric friction, which defeats the purpose of the hand wave tech in the first place.

The original WEG Star Wars game was a group effort by multiple designers, and it is extremely likely that the author who decided that 2D of a ship's Hull code is particle shields is not likely the same author who gave TIE fighters a 2D Hull. A much simpler solution than yours is to simply reduce the particle shields to only 1D of the ship's Hull.

This simple tweak of reducing particle shields from 2D to 1D still allows for the intended hand wave of no rolls for mundane things when the particle shields are functional, while eliminating the 0D Hull situations. And it means that spaceships are made tougher, which I feel they should be, rather than depending on shields as much. It is worth mentioning that according the game's shields rules as designed, mechanically a ship's particle and energy shields both provide protection from both physical and energy damage. The main difference is that particle shields are designed to be on most all of the time the ship is in flight (which is mostly mundane), while energy shields require more power and are primarily only used for combat. I think energy shields could provide the benefit that particle shields do if the particle shields get damaged, but that would never happen in RAW's damage system (see below).

If a GM using this 1D particle shields tweak feels it makes ship hulls too strong with no downside, please see the rest of my starship damage and repair rules. RAW has no rules for particle shields being damaged. When energy shields get completely blown, it goes to control ionized. You have the hand waving particle shields protection as long as you have main power. I have kept the main power rule (for all shields like in RAW) and added that after all energy shields get blown, further shields damage results blows the particle shields. I feel the particle shield should be last because it has the hand waving benefits and it equally applies to all fire arcs (so energy shields also protect the particle shields). And since particle shields can actually be damaged in my damage system, there are of course rules for repairing them in my repair system.

If a GM using this tweak still wants the option for some ships to have 2D in particle shields they can, but those ships should probably have a minimum Hull of 3D and TIEs definitely still have only 1D in particle shields. But using this tweak means 1D is enough for the hand waving particle shields benefits so having more than 1D in particle shields would mainly be increasing the ship's Hull code in most situations, which could become overpowering. If a GM uses this tweak and adds that some ships can have more than 1D in particle shields, I would recommend further tweaking the damage system so that particle shields can possibly get blown ahead of energy shields getting blown, to actually add more risk to go along with the additional benefit of an increased Hull. Personally, I think it is easier to just keep particle shields at 1D (of the Hull code) for all ships, and increase the ship's Hull or energy shields using the rules for those things, if you want to give the ship more protection.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Macavity
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the best way to keep particle shields handwavey is to say that losing the particle shields drops spaceships one scale level down.

So starfighters still roll the same hull dice, but take +2D scale damage from other starfighter scale weapons, and roll the base level of hull dice against straight damage from Walker-scale vehicles now.

A spaceship flying without particle shields up can just take collision damage if flying in atmosphere or space that might be particularly debris laden - at the GMs option.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macavity wrote:
Maybe the best way to keep particle shields handwavey is to say that losing the particle shields drops spaceships one scale level down.

A couple problems there:
    1) A capital ship that loses its particle shields would drop -6D to Starfighter Scale. That's way too potent.

2) Tying it to Scale comes with other, off-setting bonuses. A ship that drops 2D in Scale gets an effective +2D to Maneuverability.
Ultimately, you can come up with all kinds of reasons to penalize a ship's Hull by 2D without having to tie it to Scale. I just think 2D is a bit excessive, and the rule as a whole is poorly thought out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: