The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Can you transfer skills from one Droid mind to another?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Can you transfer skills from one Droid mind to another?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Can you transfer skills from one Droid mind to another? Reply with quote

I was watching Solo, and the bit where L3 was uploaded into the Falcon got me thinking.

Hypothetically, your building, or rather rebuilding yourself a Droid with limited resources, you have most of a Protocol droid torso, a compatible head but you really don't need a Translator, what you really need is the skills of an astromech. But luckily you have found on your scavenging, the shattered plastic casing of an old R3 Astromech head. You have an Astromech brain that works and hasnt been wiped so still retains all its skills etc.

Can you (1) transfer those skills into the awaiting Protocol Droid head, so when you activate it , it will have both the skill sets of a Protocol and an astromech?

Or would it be better to do something like install the Astromech brain into the protocol droid and it has two active droid minds, one passive and one the more active personality, and both have access to each others shared skills databanks.

I know there was Blue Max and Bollux back in the day but they werent linked as directly. I was just wondering what you can thin of, by existing game mechanic or even smethin homebrewed to allow a Droid to learn the skills off another Droid brain?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willg wrote:
Apologies GM, I have realized this might be better in the other forum.
Assumed tech would cover it but it's really NPC Droid chargen.

Replies to this topic, please.

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8201

FYI, the forum moderators can easily move threads that get posted in the incorrect forum. There is no need to duplicate threads. I went ahead and deleted the other thread.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, in ATOC, 3PO's head briefly wound up on a battle droid chasis, and worked OK.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you transfer skills from one Droid mind to another? Reply with quote

willg wrote:
I was watching Solo, and the bit where L3 was uploaded into the Falcon got me thinking.

Hypothetically, your building, or rather rebuilding yourself a Droid with limited resources, you have most of a Protocol droid torso, a compatible head but you really don't need a Translator, what you really need is the skills of an astromech. But luckily you have found on your scavenging, the shattered plastic casing of an old R3 Astromech head. You have an Astromech brain that works and hasnt been wiped so still retains all its skills etc.

Can you (1) transfer those skills into the awaiting Protocol Droid head, so when you activate it , it will have both the skill sets of a Protocol and an astromech?

Or would it be better to do something like install the Astromech brain into the protocol droid and it has two active droid minds, one passive and one the more active personality, and both have access to each others shared skills databanks.

I know there was Blue Max and Bollux back in the day but they werent linked as directly. I was just wondering what you can thin of, by existing game mechanic or even smethin homebrewed to allow a Droid to learn the skills off another Droid brain?

This is a good question. I would have to say that droids are not made to easily allow two sets of skillware thus merging two droids into one. The Falcon is a ship, not another droid. The Falcon is a heavily modified ship, and L3 is a heavily modified droid who was already intimately familiar with the Falcon's systems.

In the EU, the Falcon had three droid brains modified into the ship's computer system. In the Solo novelization, we get a bit of L3's point of view as she is integrated into the Falcon. She finds that there were already multiple minds in the Falcon, which strongly implies that there were at least two droid brains already integrated into the ship's computer system before L3, which means the ship's computer system would have already been modified to incorporate droid brains before the events of Solo. And droids just wouldn't be manufactured with merging droid minds in mind, because that would defeat the purpose of selling individual specialized droids.

I think the droid skill rules in the Fantastic Technology: Droids book are a good basis for loading new skills into a droid. I think using another droid with the desired new skills to save on the cost of buying the skillware could be a viable option, as long as there was some computer system both droids could be plugged into to facilitate the transfer. I would still require all the droid programming rolls the system requires for each skill. And this wouldn't be copying. The skillware source droid would not still have the skills that were transferred. I would rule that source droid would be rendered useless by the transfer, even if not all skills were transferred. There has to be a price to pay for this unorthodox process, or else it would common.

MrNexx wrote:
IIRC, in ATOC, 3PO's head briefly wound up on a battle droid chasis, and worked OK.

I don't see that as the same thing because there is no indication that two droids skill sets had been combined into one droid. Neither 'combo-droid' (the droid with Threepio's head/B1 body or the droid with the B1 head/Threepio's body) were shown using Threepio's skills. The 'droid' with Threepio's head had Threepio's personality and voice, and the other "droid" with the B1' head had the B1 voice and personality. Both were under the command of the master droid signal so they were shooting at Jedi (with the Threepio-headed droid hilariously being horrified and apologizing as he was doing it).

What makes the most sense to me is that one of the 'droids' had Threepio's skills and the other has the B1's skills. The skills were probably in the torsos. The one with Threepio's skills was shooing with Threepio's base Dexterity attribute and the other was shooting with the B1's blaster skill (which is still not great). Whichever one had Threepio's no-harm programming was overridden by the master signal controlling the droids.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: