The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Z-95 in the Force Awakens era.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Z-95 in the Force Awakens era. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willg wrote:
True, from a British point of view, it reminds me of the old Vulcan Bombers we had from the 50s. They were obsolete by the 80s but the last hurrah was when one Vulcan was brought back into service to do the bombing run on Port Stanley during the Falklands war. It's a fascinating story, they refueled her in the air.

I wrote a college paper on the Falklands War; Operation Black Buck was one of my favorite parts. "refueled her in the air" is an epic-grade understatement. IIRC, there were a couple dozen Victor air tankers all daisy-chaining over the course of 4-5 refuelings.

Quote:
I recall the old Expanded Universe, there were attempts to replace the X-Wing with the E-Wing but it never happened, though I quite liked the E-wing.

Me too, which is why I made up alternate stats for the E-Wing as a Y-Wing replacement.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:

In Star Wars canon we have examples of tech improvement, so I am aware that it's there. Even Luke's lament that his style of speeder just isn't in demand anymore alludes to that.

See, here's my take on "Ever since the new THX-1138 came out, they're just not in demand."

It's fashion.

Sure, Luke's speeder has some miles on it, and that's dragging the price down a bit, but the real problem he has is his is unfashionable.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, military-grade starfighters fall out of use because they aren't... fashionable? That's a bit of a stretch.

Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More along the lines that the frames have too many flight-hours on them and are starting to get unsafe. As well as a lack of spare parts that don't have to be hand made. Now, this is less of an issue with, say, Mon Calamari ships, but...

The Z-95 was just a particularly long-lived craft that was able to fly long past the designers specifications, and the parts just kept being produced because the frames could still be flown. Maybe not by Incom or Subpro (well, maybe Subpro) but knock-off parts of varying degree of quality from other companies.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
So, military-grade starfighters fall out of use because they aren't... fashionable? That's a bit of a stretch.

Look at IRL items. Some military craft, DID fall out of fashion, cause of their look, after barely 30 years of service.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cite an example.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On fashion for military ships, I would say that some text from R&E illustrates why people might upgrade ship models.

"That's when I saw that the stormtroopers were using an out-moded, tripod-mounted repeating blaster, the old BlasTech "PulseHammer" series. The PulseHammer had a monstrous amount of power behind it, but the recycle time on the energy cell was pretty lackluster (which was why BlasTech discontinued the series).
It was just a matter of waiting for the weapon's cool down cycle — when the power cell was too busy recharging itself for the weapon to fire — and we just
waltzed out of the warehouse and took the troopers out."

I figure you're going to have a degree of the same issue with spaceframes... The Z-95, while a solid frame, have a couple blindspots that experienced pilots know how to exploit. Advance the tech, move on to the Z-95a? You move a couple vulnerable points.

Switching up spaceframes when you can afford it may minimize these blindspots (until the craft get old and design flaws start to become bigger), and start the hunt for new holes in the defense.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North American P-51 Mustang a world war 2 fighter.
Retired by the us air force after the korean war, along with jets being used and even standardized, though still even in limited service through the vietnam war. Domincan Republic who did not retire the p-51 from military service until 1984

The excellent DeHaviland Mosquito was also a world war 2 plane, retired in 1963, now I would assume and I think reasonably so that a 1963 mosuito has more advanced engines, avionics and the like compared with the 1943 ones.

and the list goes on with planes serving a long time.
the F-16 still the back bone of many national air forces is a vietnam era fighter, locally upgraded and retrofitted to a degree, and is thus still an f-16 but a much more advanced one than a 40yr older model.

so I would say there is nothing to indicate that the head hunter can not be uused in a military fashoin and effectively so even 30+ years after the battle of endor.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of these are fashion. Everything you're both describing has to do with ability, not aesthetics. Nobody ever spends hundreds of millions on military hardware and then just tosses it because they don't like the look of it. Equipment is retired because it's either incapable of performing whatever said military's current mission is, or because its performance in general is unsatisfactory in some way. Fickle fashion sense is a fine explanation luxury for cars and clothes, not fighters.

And by the time of the TFA era, the Z-95 design would be 50 years old, not 30. It was already falling behind as of the Battle of Yavin. Sure, things like the P-51 and the Mosquito lasted a while, but you sure wouldn't want to take them into combat now.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the F-16 is not a Vietnam-era fighter. It wasn’t approved for production until 1976, a year after the war had ended. It is an excellent, and long-lived design that is just now beginning to be replaced by the F-35. But in this scenario, it’s the X-Wing, and the Z-95 is the long-since retired F-4 Phantom and F-105 Thunderchief.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my point wa thst a now42 yr old fighter is still relevant. and tomany air forces it eill remain the backbne.'
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
I read your message regarding real fighter time of life and I think the question is : is the model is obsolete ? Means can't be updated to current technology.
For P51 mustang and De Haviland mosquito that mean use reactor instead of engines, guided missiles and have a radar (to be simple).
For Z95 what it should be ? In order to match with a T 65 X-wing, that means add better power suply system, a Hyperdrive, better engines, better maneuvrability, better laser guns, better sensor suite and better concussion missiles. It makes more sens to design a new model but it's still possible to reach some of these item.
I thing it should be more expensive than buying a new fighter but it is still possible...

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
my point wa thst a now42 yr old fighter is still relevant. and tomany air forces it eill remain the backbne.'

That’s not what OP was asking. He wanted to know what a Z-95 would look like if it was upgraded in the same fashion as the X-Wing. Things like the P-51 and the Mosquito might’ve stuck around for awhile, but nobody is looking to outfit them with stealth, an APG-77 radar, fire-and-forget missiles and F119 thrust-vectoring turbofan jet engines.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalanks Balas wrote:
Well,
I read your message regarding real fighter time of life and I think the question is : is the model is obsolete ? Means can't be updated to current technology.
For P51 mustang and De Haviland mosquito that mean use reactor instead of engines, guided missiles and have a radar (to be simple).
For Z95 what it should be ? In order to match with a T 65 X-wing, that means add better power suply system, a Hyperdrive, better engines, better maneuvrability, better laser guns, better sensor suite and better concussion missiles. It makes more sens to design a new model but it's still possible to reach some of these item.
I thing it should be more expensive than buying a new fighter but it is still possible...

Big thing, is there any space IN the Z-95, to do any of those though?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As near as I can tell, the big obstacle on putting a hyperdrive into a starfighter seems to be miniaturization. Once a starfighter could be fitted with an integrated hyperdrive, there doesn't seem to be any appreciable reduction in speed. In the films, we progress from hyperdrive rings to integrated hyperdrives within ten years or so, so it would seem there is some sort of ongoing impetus for R&D and system improvement. My thinking is that, while the original Z-95 couldn't be fitted with a hyperdrive (due to it being developed during the hyperdrive ring era), the technology miniaturization would eventually reach a point around the classic era where Z-95s could be upgraded to mount a hyperdrive. Seeing as how several hyperdrive equipped Z-95s show up in the post-Endor era, this is a likely conclusion based on the available evidence.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: