The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

When The Dice Totals 0D Or Less
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> When The Dice Totals 0D Or Less Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
True, but that is real world shooting at unmoving target.

But even if the target was moving, that would just shift the probabilities a bit, not make it flat-out impossible.

Quote:
For cinematic action purposes, I don't have a problem limiting character actions by how many dice they have to roll. But MAP penalties are supposed to prevent the character from doing too many things, so maybe using this should depend on what the penalty is based on. They shouldn't be able to get a shot off if MAPped out of actions, but maybe they should for pure darkness.

To be clear, I'm not seeing this as a blanket application, but I do think there are certain circumstances where it's appropriate. There's certainly a physical limit to how many times a human being can pull a trigger in five seconds (Jerry Miculek not withstanding), but as with the above, even if all the shooter is doing is squeezing the trigger as fast as they can with the gun pointed in the general direction of the target, there is always a minute possibility that the bullet will hit the target.

Quote:
That may also be a good argument for changing some penalties from lowering die codes to adding to difficulties numbers instead, like maybe darkness. If so, then with the wild die explosion, there is always a chance, however small, that you could point your gun blindly in the dark and hit something. Hmm.

That would work, too. I know in my Scale System, I included the option of using a +4 Difficulty modifier for every 1D of Scale shift...

Quote:
What do you think about my other suggestion, that choosing to do use this and rolling a negative result means something bad happens beyond mere failure (positive but under the difficulty number)?

I like it. It's a good balance for what I initially proposed, and dovetails nicely with the existing RAW, where Wild Dice fails could result in complications. I also like your 0D+ rule.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

That may also be a good argument for changing some penalties from lowering die codes to adding to difficulties numbers instead, like maybe darkness. If so, then with the wild die explosion, there is always a chance, however small, that you could point your gun blindly in the dark and hit something. Hmm.

That's a good idea.. Perhaps wounds and MAPs actually reduce your die score. Where 'artifical penalties' (IE smoke, darkness etc) add to the Difficulty total you need to roll.

Quote:
What does that even mean?

Not everyone even could fire a gun.. Case and point. The 2nd range i attended, one of the gals we had on the range, tried to fire her pistol (first gun she'd ever had), and instead of firing it, DROPPED The magazine out of it.
Another tried to fire a shotgun, and basically let it fly off behind her..
Or one of the skinniest dudes we had, trying the M-16, even after being taught and told NUMEROUS times, "just click the safety once over to semi. HE TWICE IN A ROW, flipped it to auto, WHILE HIS stupididity had his trigger finger, on the trigger... Sprayed bullets all over the dam place..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immaterial. A character with a 2D Dexterity is assumed to have the ability to point the gun and pull the trigger.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: