The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

High Republic: A Test of Courage Conversions Feedback
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> High Republic: A Test of Courage Conversions Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: High Republic: A Test of Courage Conversions Feedback Reply with quote

The High Republic: A Test of Courage Conversions Index

Trying to keep the Index topic post clean, Please post any comments, requests or suggestions in this thread.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not feedback specifically about the conversions, but I'm curious whether this era stuff released already is any good.
I know it's more young adult style, but it looks very sub-optimal to me.

So, worth reading?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
Not feedback specifically about the conversions, but I'm curious whether this era stuff released already is any good.
I know it's more young adult style, but it looks very sub-optimal to me.

So, worth reading?

To be honest this was not even a YA book middle-grade novel. It was okay, but there is a ton of retconning going on. High Republic is set in 232 BBY. The characters in the book were what you would expect with Disney Star Wars.

Avon: age 12 girl of color who is the bestest evar with the sciences and has been studying the science since age 6. If you had not guessed, she is a scientist/inventor prodigy. Her mother is a muckity muck Republic representative.

Honesty: 12 year old boy from a backwater planet who has been studying to a combat medical officer since he was also, imagine that, 6. His father is an ambassador to the Republic. His main training has been in brawling and survival. That's in 6 years of training.

Imri: a padawan whos master just died. He is 13-14 years old. In the book, the Dark Side tempts him. What a loser.

Vernestra: 15 year old Jedi Knight, youngest ever to pass the initiates testing. She eventually takes Imri as her padawan.

There are definite changes in how the Force works now. All the Jedi are uber powerful and apparently can aid each other with no issues. Also using the Force fatigues Jedi. The entire galaxy loves the Jedi and they are all super cool.

Though in the comic book, apparently a padwan with impulse, control and semi-anger issues, and swears a lot, becomes a Jedi anyway. Apparently that third wave feminist haircut was enough.

There are tons of things I do not like as they are core changes, but I keep reminding myself this is a young readers book. I am currently reading the adult novel. I am waiting for my final opinion until the 2nd wave of books hit in February. My initial feelings, its gonna kinda suck. YMMV.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's kind of what I was expecting.

Kudos to you for statting up the characters though.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't these be in the Characters, Droids, and Species section of the boards?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's a little bit of everything, it doesn't fit neatly into one of the categories of ships, characters, locations, equipment, etc. We've usually put conversion (ostensibly for eventual PDF publishing) into Tools. I've moved it here now.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
To be honest this was not even a YA book middle-grade novel. It was okay, but there is a ton of retconning going on. High Republic is set in 232 BBY. The characters in the book were what you would expect with Disney Star Wars...

There are definite changes in how the Force works now. All the Jedi are uber powerful and apparently can aid each other with no issues. Also using the Force fatigues Jedi. The entire galaxy loves the Jedi and they are all super cool.

Though in the comic book, apparently a padwan with impulse, control and semi-anger issues, and swears a lot, becomes a Jedi anyway. Apparently that third wave feminist haircut was enough.

There are tons of things I do not like as they are core changes, but I keep reminding myself this is a young readers book. I am currently reading the adult novel. I am waiting for my final opinion until the 2nd wave of books hit in February. My initial feelings, its gonna kinda suck. YMMV.

I'm curious to find out if they are embracing all of Abram's retcons to the Force and Jedi. Is the Force magic? Do all Jedi become Force ghosts now? Do the ghosts come and help a Jedi when she is in her most dire need? Stuff like that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to read the book, but with a name like Wayfinding, I was expecting it to be some sort of location/direction power. Think along the lines of instinctive astrogation (sense).
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
I have yet to read the book, but with a name like Wayfinding, I was expecting it to be some sort of location/direction power. Think along the lines of instinctive astrogation (sense).

Here are the sections, there are only two, that dealt with Wayfinding

THR: AToC wrote:
“I could maybe try wayfinding,” Imri said, voice hesitant. “Through the Force. Master Douglas was showing me how it is done.” Seeing Avon and Honesty’s confused expressions, the boy elaborated. “I, um, should be able to detect someplace that has a lot of life, and if there are creatures living there on the planet it should be safe enough for us, as long as I have a good idea of what I am looking for. Right, Vern?”

“Yes,” Vernestra said, nodding. “Good idea.” It was a long shot. She had only heard a few stories of wayfinding. It was something mostly done by seasoned Jedi Masters who had practiced the skill their entire lives. But she hoped giving the boy a task would help him break through some of the despair of losing his master. Sometimes distractions were helpful.

“Okay, since the nav unit is out, I guess I can just turn the ship until we’re pointed in the right direction?” Avon said, doubt lacing her words.
Imri nodded. “Yes, that should work.” He closed his eyes and began to breathe evenly, meditating the way all younglings were taught in their first weeks at the temple. Momentous tasks like reaching across great distances always worked better when a Force user was calm and centered, and after the events of the past few hours they were all understandably on edge.

There was still a jangling in Vernestra’s head that made her think it was not a good idea for her to try to use the Force right now, not unless she wanted another unscheduled nap. She still felt wrung out from her earlier efforts.

Imri closed his eyes and reached through the Force. But there was something off about his technique, and Vernestra walked back to where Imri sat and took his hand.
“Imri, focus,” she said, closing her eyes and reaching out to him through the Force. This kind of connection was mostly passive; joining with the Force was natural and right. They were all part of the living Force, as well as the cosmic Force, and reaching out to the living energy actually quieted some of Vernestra’s exhaustion. It could sometimes be too easy for Jedi to get lost in the great possibilities of the Force, and younglings were often taught to remember their own body’s needs as a way to anchor their thoughts. Spending too long in the Force could feel luminous, but bodies were crude matter that needed care and feeding, and those physical needs had to be kept in mind to tether the Jedi to their forms.

Imri settled, and Vernestra felt him searching for a way to call out to any nearby life. She didn’t try to guide him but rather watched as her master might have when she first became a Padawan, letting Imri figure it out. She could sense the moment he began to quest for life, each living being illuminated by its connection to the Force. Honesty and Avon glowed brightly, but beyond that was only darkness, except for a few faint flickering images on the far edges of what they could sense.
Imri turned back the way they had come, toward where the Steady Wing had been destroyed. Vernestra wanted to point him away from the site of the catastrophe, but she sensed that he’d turned that way many times before and she gave him the opportunity to look one last time at the remnants of the ship.
There was no sign of life.

There were no other shuttles, either, and Imri ranged out farther and farther. There was nothing, none of that heat and emotion, hunger and gladness, exhaustion and fear that characterized life throughout the galaxy. Imri began to despair as he tested the limits of how far he could reach and found not a single spark of life.
“Just a little more,” Vernestra said. She loaned Imri some of her strength, the same way she had added her abilities to Douglas’s back in the dining room on the Steady Wing. No, don’t think of the Steady Wing, she thought. Focus on life and moving forward.
But there was nothing.

Vernestra opened her eyes to find Avon and Honesty watching them. J-6 seemed otherwise occupied, looking for a port to charge herself. Avon tilted her head, her full lips pressed into a thin line.

“No luck?”

Vernestra shook her head, and Imri sighed. “Sorry,” he said. “But there’s nothing out there. We’re all alone.”

THR: AToC wrote:
With his eyes closed and the memories of Douglas in his mind, Imri reached out once more. Out into the inky darkness of space, toward stars and moons and the mysteries that should have been revealed by a functioning navigational system. And as he reached for a place of life, a safe place for them to land the shuttle, he was warmed by the memories of his master, so that he felt strong and confident. Douglas had been brave and unflinching even in the face of his end.
Imri could be the same.

That was when he felt it. It was like poking a qwizer hive: loud and sudden, full of hidden life swarming about.

Imri gasped and fell back into his body with a start, and next to him Vernestra sat up, rubbing her eyes. “Hey, what’s going on?”

“I think, I think I found a planet. But not just any planet, one full of life.”

She smiled at him and nodded. “Can you show me?”

Imri nodded and reached for the Force, hesitantly at first. But then he took a deep breath and grabbed hold, ranging through the connection toward the place he’d felt before, his soul remembering the way. Vernestra followed him along the path, and with her help he could actually see the planet in his mind.

It was a lush jungle of a place, with ancient trees covered in vines that hung off of everything. The sharp sounds of animal calls pierced the air, which was hot and humid. Just as Imri began to sweat from the temperatures, which were much hotter than those within the shuttle, he landed back in his body.

“Imri! You did it,” Vernestra said. She tossed her hair back over her shoulder as she leaned forward and began to flip switches, adding power to the engines. “I can definitely steer us in that direction, and it seems like it isn’t too far away. We must have been pointed toward it this whole time, but without you we never would have known it.” She paused and turned to Imri with a wide smile. “Good job, Padawan.”

Imri flushed with happiness, his cheeks heating. Maybe he could still be a Jedi. He could do this. “Thanks,” he said. “So, what do we do now?”

Vernestra finished flipping switches and poking buttons, and then she sat back with a wide yawn. “Now, we wait.”

@swd6podcast, Twitter
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the source material holding no appeal to me, the amount of info you have converted here in such a short time is awesome.

I really like the little info snippits you have posted, some of those are really interesting.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
Despite the source material holding no appeal to me, the amount of info you have converted here in such a short time is awesome.

I really like the little info snippits you have posted, some of those are really interesting.

Thank you, I am typically a fast worker. I think you will see alot of the snippets are things I added a description to as there is no information other than a name. For example frostberry and Wicket Ball. I am glad you are enjoying the project.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to Wayfinding, considering what it can do, shouldn't nature affinity be a prerequisite?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: