The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Where is Everyone?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Where is Everyone? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Maybe we need to change that, to where the library is only FOR members of the site, to ENCOURAGE those lurkers to join, to GET access to that content.?!
As i am not a web site manager/developer, i don't know, whether restricting content to members, helps or hurts sites... BUT to me, i'd think it would help.

I've been on other sites where they had a similar set-up -- the item you want is free but you have to be a member (which is also free) to download. I ended up downloading a bunch of papercraft I liked that way and never went back because I don't design that sort of thing, so I had nothing to contribute.

Maybe with an RPG site it would work...?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We talked a bit about this in the Summer of '19. What about lurkers?

The majority of people that read this website do not even register. The majority of people that register do not post. Requiring 'members-only' access to read the Forum or even to use the Library will only greatly increase the lurkers registering without contributing anything, which is more work for me and no benefit to the community. Requiring forum participation to access the Library would generate a lot of meaningless 'quota' posts. And besides, most everything on the Library is available other places. If people have to jump through hoops to get the freebies, they will just go elsewhere, and that does nothing to increase lurker participation so it would be pointless.

Going nonpublic to nonmembers may also generate suspicion and distrust as to what we are doing in here. So not only are we free and honest here, but we are fully open to the public so the world has access to our guidelines and can see that we are following them. Transparency is important, especially since we are playing in Disney's backyard. We can't sell any content that we make. Since everything has to be given for free, there is really no reason to not give it to anyone for free. And my web hosting deal literally has unlimited bandwidth so we don't even notice the lurking and the literally thousands of Library downloads happening every month. It's like they aren't even there, even though we know they are.

So how do we get more lurkers to participate without restricting anything? Promote the game and promote the site to your friends, family, gaming groups, and on other websites. All they have to do to register is email a chosen username to forums -at- rancorpit -dot- com (from a non-Microsoft email address). They should feel free to bring their own ideas because this is not a consensus driven place and minority opinions are welcome.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t speak for everyone, but personally I’m in a bit of a posting slump. My inspiration tends to come in waves, but sometimes I can go a month or two without anything really coming to me. I also tend not to get involved in certain topics if they’re outside the scope of my knowledge or interest. I always appreciate the hard work Ollie puts into his sourcebooks, but in many cases, I’m just not interested in the source material from which it is derived.

On top of that, Darth Reality has been really laying into me this winter. COVID may be doing a number on some peoples’ jobs and social lives, but in my little segment of the trucking industry, the only real difference is the dearth of sir-down dining opportunities on the road. We’re slammed busy apart from that. I’m still here; I just don’t have much to say.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a few weeks since I've been able to write anything, myself. I was working on a couple mutant animal settings, but kinda hit a wall and haven't done anything.
Narmer
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

So how do we get more lurkers to participate without restricting anything.

I'm one of those dedicated lurkers. I've had a copy of 1st edition (well, actually three) for years but I've never really had the opportunity to play. So I don't have any useful experience or ideas to contribute. I read the forums to gather others' experiences. If and when I do have something to contribute I'll be happy to. And when I have questions, I definitely ask them but otherwise I don't want to clutter things up with inanity.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narmer wrote:
Whill wrote:
So how do we get more lurkers to participate without restricting anything

I'm one of those dedicated lurkers. I've had a copy of 1st edition (well, actually three) for years but I've never really had the opportunity to play. So I don't have any useful experience or ideas to contribute. I read the forums to gather others' experiences. If and when I do have something to contribute I'll be happy to. And when I have questions, I definitely ask them but otherwise I don't want to clutter things up with inanity.

Thanks for chiming in.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narmer, it's more than enough just to de-lurk and comment here that you are reading posts and using the info.

I spend years just lurking too before I dived in.

I hope you get to play the game at some point, everyone should get to play it a least once.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of a posting slump...

*COUGH*

Hi guys! Peter just emailed me a couple of nights ago wondering about my posting slump in particular. Oy, this past year has been hideous. I'm on the front lines of the COVID pandemic as I've been working as a supermarket cashier at the Giant 3 blocks from my apartment for over a year. Hell, I just started working there in September 2019, just before the pandemic started. Needless to say, I've been taking all necessary precautions and I've consistently tested negative for the coronavirus.

But damn, I'm ready for this thing to be over. I'm still waiting for Phase 2 in DC to begin so I can get my vaccine shot(s). I'm happy to say that my dad has already gotten his first COVID vaccine shot last month and he's scheduled to get his second shot later this month. (My sister refuses to let me anywhere near her or Dad until I'm vaccinated, go figure.)

I know several of you have editing projects that you're requesting my help on. I've got alot on my plate, bot in Real Life(TM) and in my personal projects (I'm currently doing some edits over at Continuing Mission, a website for the Modiphius Star Trek Adventures RPG, but I want to finish what I started over here too. Feel free to drop me a line at:

cfduque@verizon.net

Cheers, everyone!
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Sutehp. Thanks for chiming in! It's good to hear from you too.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp, you are involved in the Star Trek Adventures RPG? That's cool! I really enjoy that system! I've been running a once-a-month rpg session with a couple of guys, but January this year we missed because one got sick (don't know if it was Covid or not, but he stayed away).

What have you worked on with the game?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
Sutehp, you are involved in the Star Trek Adventures RPG? That's cool! I really enjoy that system! I've been running a once-a-month rpg session with a couple of guys, but January this year we missed because one got sick (don't know if it was Covid or not, but he stayed away).

What have you worked on with the game?

Heh, I think you guys misunderstood, I'm not involved with Modiphius at all; I'm just doing some editing work for the guys at Continuing Mission, a website fan blog for the STA RPG.

I'm still trying to learn the rules, but CM has a bunch of fanmade entries for a bunch of characters, player species and starships, a few of which I'm trying to edit for grammatical errors and such. For the Starship Scale rules, I recently found some in-universe scale image files of starships from the Official Starships Collection Magazine that has been published by Eaglemoss Collections since 2012. Take a gander at these in-universe scale images of starships from Star Trek: Federation; Alien; and Small/Large.

These are the official dimensions for all of these Star trek starships, they're accurate as they were researched with the original CGI models and they're official as of October 2020, only a few months old. I'm trying to get everyone at CM to redo/adjust their starship stats with these images in mind. They were quite impressed with these new official images. Hell, I knew V'Ger was big, but I didn't realize it was 78 kilometers long.

On the Star Wars front, I just subscribed to Disney+ and just started watching The Mandalorian last night and tonight. I just finished Episode 3 of Season 1. (Not knowing anything about The Mandalorian until last night, I thought Baby Yoda only showed up in the beginning of Season 2, not Season 1, lol.) Speaking of which, I better get back to binge-watching The Mandalorian. Cool
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp, I whited-out a character name in your previous post to comply with the Pit's Spoiler Policy. All The Mandalorian spoilers, including all references to and images of that character, should only be referred to in the single spoilers allowed thread devoted to The Mandalorian and speculation of its three spin-off series (which is linked to in the Spoiler Policy thread). We are still waiting for several parts of the world to get access to Disney+.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sutehp, I whited-out a character name in your previous post to comply with the Pit's Spoiler Policy. All The Mandalorian spoilers, including all references to and images of that character, should only be referred to in the single spoilers allowed thread devoted to The Mandalorian and speculation of its three spin-off series (which is linked to in the Spoiler Policy thread). We are still waiting for several parts of the world to get access to Disney+.

My bad. I thought that since it was from more than a year ago, the spoiler policy didn't apply. Duly noted.

And the Mandalorian is (supposedly) going to have three spinoff series? You have piqued my curiosity and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I thought that since it was from more than a year ago, the spoiler policy didn't apply. Duly noted.

And the Mandalorian is (supposedly) going to have three spinoff series? You have piqued my curiosity and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

It's only more than a year ago for some of the world. For others, it is still in the future. Some forum users that do not have Disney+ in their countries actually did chime in and request this set-up. Disney+ isn't yet like a new film that is in the theater everywhere in the (pre-pandemic) world at the same time. At some point after Disney+ is everywhere, we will adopt a spoiler policy for new Disney+ content that is more like the theatrical films were handled.

Yes, it has been formally announced that The Mandalorian will have three live action spinoff series set in the same timeframe (5+ ABY). Since you are still working through Mando s1, I would suggest avoiding The Mandalorian Spoilers Allowed thread until you catch up.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narmer wrote:
Whill wrote:

So how do we get more lurkers to participate without restricting anything.

Good to hear from you, Narmer.

If you're in Western Washington, feel free to PM me if you're interested (perhaps post-pandemic) in actually sitting down at the table for a game (though we play 2R&E, rather than 1E). We've got a decent sized group already (six PCs if everybody shows), but I could handle a guest for a one-shot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: