The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Mythological Creature Templates
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Mythological Creature Templates Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Aramus
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O_O its like white wolf came alive in a starwars thread O_O

when I think "Mythological Creatures"

I am thinking of:

Gorgons
Hydras
manticores
Hippogriffs
Centaurs
Minotaurs
cyclops
etc....

there is a whole world of possibilities out there.. don't just stick with vampire fetish Razz
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, besides Centaurs in that list, all would be NPCs due to being more of monsters or critters. Cyclops would jsut have too low of a knowledge trait to be playable, in my opinion.

For my group, we use the Star Wars galaxy as a basis for technology and such, but due to so many undiscovered or unreported planets and societies, we allow for making races, even if they satrt to follow the catagories of White Wolf. There are plenty of planets with Feudal systems and Iron Age technology out there for good old fashioned mythological creatures to exist : )

Also, WW actually shows which of these beings from mythos are actually playable as PCs, so is a good guidleline actually. I personally detest WW however.

Which mythological creatures would work as PCs? So far I can think of Gargoyles, Vamps, Taurs, and Weres.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side note, the best part of were-wolf mythos is how the human side is unaware of and doesn't remember the stuff the werewolf did.

(But I still don't think this stuff should be in Star Wars.)
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey he's just haveing a bit of fun, and you don't play in his game, so all's good.

I wanna see a were-wookie Very Happy (or wukie as Gry says)

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to ruin anyone's fun. If I was I wouldn't have contributed to the conversation. I just wanted to side note that I don't think this mythos fits with Star Wars.
That's improbable?
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry didn't mean to come off as putting you down. Just making a comment.

Who's to say what mythos fits SW? There are so many worlds out there

Were-Wukie!!

Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not upset or anything. I just wanted to make it clear I'm not trying to ruin anyone's fun. If you thought I was, others probably did too; it seemed I should clear it up.

As for the mythos, I still don't think they fit the mood or themes of Star Wars. I know there are many worlds out there and many aliens, I just don't see them fitting as they are in our mythos. Now, a bloodsucker; sure. A shape-shifter, great. The simple concepts can fit....it's just when you try to translate them literaly that you find these creature stick out like a sore thumb.

Don't think I'm casting stones, if I were I'd have to hit myself first. I once played a vampire character. It didn't fit the chronicle, and at least I see know how it stuck out.
That's improbable?
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct. Every game has it's own feel, and Star Wars is very different from White Wolf's World of Darkness.

Du Cass' Dream
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anzati are not like vampires at all. They simply have a unique killing method that involves tendrils stored in there cheeks. They can kill with no trace.

I also agree with making Vampirism more like a condition that can easily be added to any race. Like in Blade I would make it a kind of virus. I would have it work in several stages. It would be curable. And the evil vampires are the ones that don't want cured but want to unlock more power through vampirism. Their bodies eventually succumb and fall to infection and they turn into something more like Nosferatu. They more and more match the behavior of the virus as they seek to feed the giant viral sore they have become, solely meeting the viral needs with no thought for logic or higher reasoning as they have become effectively dead. The incurable stage where the use of any force abilities they would have had left them. Force Healing harms them as it kills the virus and releases control of the corpse.
And you must actually have force abilities or be a follower of the force with a force powered item for Force-Anti-Vamping to work. So long as you understand that you are anti-vamping because it is a virus and the Force promotes health.

...want me to make rules for all of that in an easy to understand format?
to finance my 'vette!
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be fun to see a rule set that had that take on it. Chuck it up here if you would please!

~T
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condition, Vampirism.
Spread by a hemoglobin "devouring" virus that mainly attacks blood and blood producing centers of the body.

Infection:
The virus is spread by fluid contact. The Saliva of a stage 2 or higher infected creature, blood of any infected creature, spreads the virus, but only when in contact with the blood of the victim.
Ingested Saliva: Stamina vs Easy difficult level to resist infection.
Saliva to Blood: Stamina vs stamina of vampire.
Blood to Blood: Infection is inevitable.
Prognosis to prevent infection before stage 1 is moderate against a (A)Medicine role with use of a drug, or full bacta tank treatment.

Stage 1:
Reached upon 1D days. At this stage the person notices symptoms.
UV Radiation irritates eyes.
Certain harsh herbs now cause nausea when ingested, and mild burning sensation if respired.
Strength, dexterity, and perception all reduce by 1d unless the character takes in some blood or Bacta. 0.25 litres of either suggested.
By taking in a full stomach of blood, the character will notice a +1 bonus to their Dexterity and Strength for 6 hours.
Prognosis to end Vampirism while at Stage 1. Full Bacta Tank Treatement. Radiological Therapy. Retro-Viral Medicine at a Very Difficult (A)Medicine roll. Symptoms leave with the virus after 1d days.

Stage 2: Considered "Vampiric" or a "Vampire"
Reached upon 2d days after Stage 1. Symptoms become more severe as the virus eats away at the blood and the effects spread through the skin.
UV Radiation now damages the character. Stamina rolls can stave off being wounded by UV.
Allergy Developed to harsh herbs. Causes Vomiting if ingested, respiratory failure if respired. Moderate Stamina roll to resist.
Perception is no longer affected. Strength and Dexterity decrease by 1 pip for every day without ingesting or injecting blood into the system. Bacta injections no longer have effect.
The need for blood displays itself as an addiction. If having taken in blood before, the craving for blood to releive the symptoms is clear in the vampire. Blood provides an extra pip of strength and dexterity for every litre of blood ingested. Average human stomach can hold 3 litres at a time. Maximum increase of pips is the same as the creatures original strength.
Cure from this point on is as follows: Full Bacta Treatment PLUS one of the following. Radiological Therapy. Retro-Viral Medicine at a Very Difficult (A)Medicine roll. Symptoms leave with the virus after 2d days of treatment.

Stage 3:
3d days after stage 2 has set in, Vampirism has taken a clear foothold in the infected body.
UV Radiation now does 5d damage a round. It can kill, and than ignite blood to incinerate the body.
Allergy to harsh herbs has now become very severe. Very difficult Stamina roll to resist the effects. 3d damage done to bodily systems during every round affected.
Strength and Dexterity drop by 1 pip for every hour there is no blood within the vampires digestive tract. Maximum increase in pips is now the same as the creatures original Stamina.
Cure is same as stage 2, with heroic difficulty for the retro-viral (A)Medicine, treatment must last for 3d days.

Final Stage:
4d days after reaching stage 3, the vampire must now begin making stamina checks, or die. Checks against death begin at easy the first day, and increase in difficulty each day.
All symptoms are the same.
Upon death, the character is completly lost. Any connection to the Force goes with him. The Vampire is left as ravening beast, with no thought for anything but to drink blood from live prey. While higher reasoning is gone, all other skills remain. The vampire can draw from any one of these in it's quest for blood.

It needs some cleaning up... but is about as clean and clear as other WEG materials right now.
to finance my 'vette!
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really neat, I like how you went about it. Is more of a way to mae it seem like the 'vampirism' would be cool at first, but then reveals itself to not be a good thing. The way it progresses is very cool, and is starting to get a feel for something that would be appropriate for "Resident Evil". *evil GM grin*
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call, Boomer! Lots of detail in there. I like it.

And now...

ZOMBIES!!!!

Sources of Zombification:
Necromatic Zombies: This class of zombie is the result of 'black magic' or use of the dark side to reanimate corpses. Zombies created in this way have half the movement and dexterity of their living form, and 0D MECH, TECH, or KNOW. Necromatic zombies lose 2D from DEX from their living form, but gain 1D in strength. Necromatic zombies have reduced perception (-1D from living form). Necromatic zombies feed on flesh and are not contageous, except through killing things and having the necromancer revive it into a new zombie. Necromatic zombies cannot feel pain and receive no penalties from wound levels. A 'killed' necromatic zombie can be reanimated the round after it 'dies'. After several 'killed' results, the corpse is unusable and the zombie is destroyed.

Viral/Bacterial Zombies: Viral zombies are the result of a contageon spread through the blood or saliva. The bite of a Zombie causes the target to become infected with the zombie virus, and the target must make a STAMINA check against the potency of the virus (usually 2D-5D, rarely more than 8D) Wound levels are cumulative and cannot heal until the zombie virus is purged. Most zombifying virii replicate once every three hours, and die out entirely on an average of 6 months, but there are too many varying strains to detail each life cycle. Once the 'killed' level is reached, the newly infected person becomes a zombie. Zombie virii are known to be contageous across all species, although it isn't clear exactly how this is achieved. Viral zombies feed on brains. They can 'smell' the living and gain +2D to search for any living target. They move at half their living form speed, and do not feel pain (thus receiving no penalty from any wound level other than 'killed'). A killed viral zombie will rise from the dead on its own 2D rounds after falling. Total destruction of the head is the only known means of preventing this, although many viral zombies lack brains already from being 'converted'. Viral zombies have 0D in MECH, TECH and KNOW, -1D to DEX from their living form and increase strength 1D from their living form. Bite damage varies by species, but is typically STR+2.

Radioactive Zombies: For unknown reasons, radiation is sometimes known to cause the recently dead to rise. Radioactive zombies are the most dangerous classification of zombie, projecting a radioactive zombifying aura that causes 2D-7D damage varying from zombie to zombie (rolled vs Stamina, any radiation-proof armor negates this completely) in a radius ranging from 10 to 50 meters. Any dead within this radius will rise automatically as a new radioactive zombie. Zombie radiation can linger in an area for up to 5D rounds after the zombie has departed. Radioactive zombies move at the same rate as their living form. They have -3D reduced MECH, TECH, and KNOW, no DEX penalty, and +2D strength from their living form. Although they kill living things, they typically don't feed on them, but have been known to eat both flesh and brains. Radioactive zombies gain +3D to Search when seeking out living things. Killing radioactive zombies is difficult as they feel no pain and no longer have vital organs. Wound penalties are applied to DEX only, and any fallen radioactive zombie will rise from the dead 1D rounds after falling until utterly obliterated. Even severed limbs have been known to continue on attacking as best they can until obliterated. Causing damage to a radioactive zombie releases a cloud of neurotoxic gas which causes 3D-6D damage and spreads zombifying radiation around the area. This gas is particularly tricky and cannot be filtered by anything less than a class III breathmask (a portable oxygen source is always best just to be sure).
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Zombie thing, a little too specific here, too vague there.

For necromantic zombies, I would make the following changes.
1) Detail the Force Power used.
2) The zombie corpse is an inanimate object and is rendered useless in much the same way as a droid. A corpse would probably have specific resistance to some weapons and not others. The old "Shotguns and Fire work best " rule is a favorite.

3) Not enough detail on the Zombie disease. Time to work, does the person suddenly "Go Zombie". is like an infection where it kills them, than they get up a few minutes later as a Zombie?

4) Radiological Zombies, awesome. Same problems there as with others.

Also, think about how the force might affect Zombies. I have been trying to come up with how the force affect my Vampires.

Also, criticism on my Vampires would be appreciated, I know missed something, I couldn't have explained it all so well.
to finance my 'vette!
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
1) Detail the Force Power used.

It's a secret Wink
(Basically, it's a plot device, not a player-acquirable power)

Boomer wrote:
2) The zombie corpse is an inanimate object and is rendered useless in much the same way as a droid. A corpse would probably have specific resistance to some weapons and not others. The old "Shotguns and Fire work best " rule is a favorite.

Hmm... I'd just use the body strength code normally with no chance to dodge, or revert to 2D, which seems to be standard for inanimate objects.

Boomer wrote:
3) Not enough detail on the Zombie disease. Time to work, does the person suddenly "Go Zombie". is like an infection where it kills them, than they get up a few minutes later as a Zombie?

It's kinda buried in the above post... when the target is dead, the corpse becomes a zombie. Necromancy isn't contageous.

Viral causes 2D-8D damage (rolled vs stamina) every 3 (or so) hours for 6 (give or take) months or until the infected person is cured, if there is a cure. I meant to be vague here to represent multiple virii, describing them in general terms.

Radioactive zombies have a radioactive 'aura' which extends anywhere from 10 to 50 meters (again being vague to represent a range for different zombies). I guess I didn't mention how often that damage occurs. I'd say once every minute to avoid rolling too often. The neurotoxic gas dissipates in 1D6 rounds, and damage occurs every time you inhale.

Boomer wrote:
Also, think about how the force might affect Zombies. I have been trying to come up with how the force affect my Vampires.

I've been thinknig about it, and I'd negate any penalty for using TK (or other non inherantly darkside power) to hurt a zombie. It isn't a living thing, so it's like using the power to levitate a rock through a window.
Of course zombies can't use the Force, so any force powers someone had before dying would be gone. Powers like affect mind won't work on a mindless zombie... pretty much anything that would affect a droid would affect a zombie. I think that would be different for vampires since they are more intelligent. You might consider giving vampires a special vampire-only skill or ability to allow them to resist the Force.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: