The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

So Who Has an Active SW D6 Game Going On Right Now?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> So Who Has an Active SW D6 Game Going On Right Now? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject: Active Games Reply with quote

I have been running an Imperial Officers' Campaign set 10 BBY. One character is a captain of a Victory II class star destroyer, one captain of a Carrack-class light cruiser, and one an ISB customs officer commanding an Interdictor sloop. I have been running it on Google Meet first, but then moved it to Teams. I run the storyline primarily through an ongoing Google Docs text prompting the players to respond and the live sessions are primarily tactical space battles using VISIO for the battle boards and turn by turn play. The game has been running for almost a year now.

Being home with not much to do during the pandemic resulted in me cracking open my old WEG books and thinking... maybe I could get this going again? After a 20+ year hiatus, I'm back into my favorite RPG from my youth!

Last edited by Dr. Bidlo on Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Leona Makk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old High School friends and I started up a game earlier in the year. They all live in different towns in IN and I am in MN so we have tried EVERY kind of video service.
FaceTime was buggy.
Zoom kicked us out after 90 minutes.
GoogleThing kicked us out every so often.

BUT we have powered through.
The funny thing is, they are playing their old characters from when we were 15 yrs old, just 20+ years are past. So its been very funny, as the Young Jedi (now middle aged jedi) of the group is going around the Sector pulling the old characters out of retirement. The bounty hunter, who is like 60 yrs old in game, hit rock bottom and became a Janitor at that run down space station in Platt's Guide to SpacePorts...what was it called?

We just got done running through Operation Elrood. Not the greatest but spruced it up a tad and now we have a well explored setting and they have taken thorough notes and the systems and personalities.
I through in a two night version of Mission to Lianna at the end just to make the Corporate Intrigue better.

Next stop, Gorath, Slave of the Empire. I have NEVER used this source book but its been on my shelf since 1996.
Antilles
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our campaign is still alive. Smile

I have Game-Mastered with my group:
1-Tatooine Manhunt
2-Strikeforce: Shantipole
3-Graveyard of Alderaan
4-Stranded (Homebrew adventure)
5-Freedom no More
6-Black Ice (current adventure)
Leona Makk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antilles wrote:

1-Tatooine Manhunt
3-Graveyard of Alderaan
5-Freedom no More

I have been wanting to run Black Ice for years! Let us know how it turns out. I love that tricky engineer.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone run Starfall? It seems really cool. I am contemplating trying to run it from the Imperials' perspective with a jacked up Victory and limited troops, failing infrastructure, and time running out to try to capture the rebels aboard their ship.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
Has anyone run Starfall? It seems really cool. I am contemplating trying to run it from the Imperials' perspective with a jacked up Victory and limited troops, failing infrastructure, and time running out to try to capture the rebels aboard their ship.

I've run Starfall in multiple campaigns, and I will again. It's pretty fun. After the first time running it, I changed the absurd premise that a starship engineer did not know how to use computers.

I don't have any advice for running it as part of Imperial campaign because I don't do that and never will. Sorry.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group plays very intermittently. Mainly with all our work schedules (me being Third Shift but not for long). In the beginning of the Pandemic I don’t think we played but since a year ago? We Face to face when we play. Again though not often enough. Crying or Very sad . Been getting my money’s worth out of Instant Adventures.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a new 2e adnd game up and running..
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

We old school guys, I am going to be running the Old-School Essentials (D&D B/X) adventure A Hole in the Oak in about 2 weeks. I even have it setup on Roll20 ready to go as well.

Here is my pile for playing: Battle maps glued to foam core board, tokens I will be using for monsters, dice, notebook, clothe pins for tracking initiative (clipped to top of GM screen), GM screen (DIY and I love it), post-it-notes, on 2 sides half pages are 1. the adventure, 2. adventure notes, 3. wandering monster encounters, 3x5 handouts with player rumors. Not shown: 3x5 cards, mechanical pencils, cheat sheet for combat and encounters, sheet with pre-rolls for all dice (several hundred for each) so I can adjudicate things without the players hearing me making rolls behind the screen, a turn tracker sheet, tablet with internet access and the rules PDF.

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: So Who Has an Active SW D6 Game Going On Right Now? Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
garhkal wrote:

We old school guys, I am going to be running the Old-School Essentials (D&D B/X) adventure [i]A Hole in the Oak[i] in about 2 weeks. I even have it setup on Roll20 ready to go as well.

Here is my pile for playing: Battle maps glued to foam core board, tokens I will be using for monsters, dice, notebook, clothe pins for tracking initiative (clipped to top of GM screen), GM screen (DIY and I love it), post-it-notes, on 2 sides half pages are 1. the adventure, 2. adventure notes, 3. wandering monster encounters, 3x5 handouts with player rumors. Not shown: 3x5 cards, mechanical pencils, cheat sheet for combat and encounters, sheet with pre-rolls for all dice (several hundred for each) so I can adjudicate things without the players hearing me making rolls behind the screen, a turn tracker sheet, tablet with internet access and the rules PDF.

I am not familiar with those SW D6 campaigns. Smile
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Dr. Bidlo wrote:

I've run Starfall in multiple campaigns, and I will again. It's pretty fun. After the first time running it, I changed the absurd premise that a starship engineer did not know how to use computers.

I don't have any advice for running it as part of Imperial campaign because I don't do that and never will. Sorry.

I forgot about the inept designer of the Victory class Star Destroyer who doesn't know how to use a computer. I guess he did his design on paper back in the day.

I have my own ideas for running it from the other perspective that tie in to the specific characters and events in my game. I was just looking for feedback from the campaign itself. Hearing you have run Starfall multiple times is a good enough mention of its merits.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject: Starfall Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
Whill wrote:
Dr. Bidlo wrote:
Has anyone run Starfall? It seems really cool.

I forgot about the inept designer of the Victory class Star Destroyer who doesn't know how to use a computer. I guess he did his design on paper back in the day.

Yes, an engineer that didn't know how to use computers was such an 80s idea that was pretty stupid even back then in light of all the computers we saw on starships and the Death Stars in the film.

Paper! Ha. Maybe the original victory-class designs are on Luke's island planet with the sacred Jedi texts.

Quote:
I have my own ideas for running it from the other perspective that tie in to the specific characters and events in my game. I was just looking for feedback from the campaign itself. Hearing you have run Starfall multiple times is a good enough mention of its merits.

The next time I run it, I will keep the same basic adventure background except that that Alliance-sympathizing smuggler PCs do not know Walex Blissex and instead just happen to be captured in the same detention block when the adventure begins. They meet up and escape together. The rebels that had accompanied Walex had been put in a different detention block, and during an interrogation, Walex had been told they had been killed and he believes the Imps. I am on my final SWU in my SW multiverse, so I have an idea for how to run the same basic adventure one or two other times in the same continuity for future campaigns. So I plan on taking good notes and or recording the game sessions.

What if the rebels who had accompanied Walex hadn't really been killed, and they travel their own path through the star destroyer behind the first group. This could be played by another player group, and I will refer to events that happen in the first adventure but make sure the second group's PCs never cross paths with the first PCs. And what if before Walex and the first Rebels had been captured, the Alliance confirmed that Walex was walking into a trap so had sent a second team of rebels to stop Walex and the first rebel group, but they had also been captured and put in yet another detention block. They could end up making their own path through the star destroyer behind the first two groups.

Only the first group (with Walex) will encounter his daughter. I thought to really pull this all off I will clone the ship captain into similar first and second officers, and they all graduated from the Imp academy together (and have similar personalities). I could expand the captain's periodic intercom messages into alternating messages from all three officers, so all three player groups will grow to hate all three of them. At the end of the adventure each group will meet one of the three officers in an AT-ST combat scenario in three separate hangers. And since the second two groups that go through it won't have Walex, maybe the second group will have Walex's assistant as an NPC, and the third group will have Walex's talented droid. When each group escapes the ship before it explodes, they will see a few other ships escaping too. I just think with the chaos of a wrecked victory-class, it would be possible to add some expansions and variations to pull this off.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Starfall Reply with quote

I love this idea of concurrent, sliding doors campaign adventures among different PC groups.

Last edited by Dr. Bidlo on Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Antilles
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leona Makk wrote:
Antilles wrote:

1-Tatooine Manhunt
3-Graveyard of Alderaan
5-Freedom no More

I have been wanting to run Black Ice for years! Let us know how it turns out. I love that tricky engineer.

We are still at the beginning of the adventure. Holydays + online playing have made everything slower, but I will let you know how it goes! Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing i never really liked about starfall, was them placing walex in, almost as a Maguffin, they Have to get out with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: