The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Quick Revised Armor Rule
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Quick Revised Armor Rule
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Quick Revised Armor Rule Reply with quote

So I was thinking about the -1D to Dex and all Dex related skills.
Now to me it makes perfect sense that many of the skills requireing a greater degree of mobility is given a penalty, even -1D and even more with some armors.
This is in acordance with RAW, however I think this ehould be revised some due to mere logic.

It makes little to no sense to have an armor so bulky that you can not lift the weapon and aim properly to shoot.
if we add in that the stormtroopers do have helmet targeting systems MFTS and such, it makes even less sense.

I would revise the armor penalty to not include the following skills: Blaster, Blaster Artillery, Firearms, Vehicle Blasters.

I know we have dice and that the stormtroopers have dice in blasters skill and even with a -1D they will still be in the 4-5D range most times, however it "feels" more like the armor is so bulky they have issues shooting and adding in the systems they have as I mentioned above, I just think it makes sense that the actual "gunnery" skills remain unaffected byt this penalty.

I would even go as far as add in addtional penalty to movement on some armors, maybe even the stormtrooper type armor, to reflect the bulkiness and thus have a -1 maybe even a -2 to movement.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those really aren't unreasonable suggestions. Logic is cool, but I am reluctant to remove the Dex penalty from blaster because of a game balance perspective which is related to another aspect of verisimilitude.

If armor doesn't penalize blaster, then everyone will want to wear armor. The Dex penalties are a deterrent to overuse of armor. Star Wars is not a wilderness exploration/dungeon crawl game. My players often find their characters in urban situations where they can't getaway with wearing armor and carrying big weapons. That tends to attract unwanted attention at inopportune times. The Dex penalty is another incentive for players to not push it. In the films, most characters do not wear armor.

I actually ran a campaign that featured a bounty hunter guild that turned into a merc unit. There were 12 PCs total in that campaign (and I ran one adventure with all 12 players at once). Only two of those 12 PCs wore armor, and I am pretty sure they were both 4D Dex characters.

But I'll think about your ideas. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: