The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Returning player, a little unclear on something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Returning player, a little unclear on something. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonan Mephi
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:54 am    Post subject: Returning player, a little unclear on something. Reply with quote

So, I've come back to the game after almost thirty years (I have the 30th-anniversary edition, which I guess is 1e) and I have a question.

Let's say player 1 has a Blaster skill of 3d, and player 2 has a dodge of 2d+1. Being an example, nobody gets any bonus dice for cover, etc... it's just a straight-up shoot out.

Player 1's roll is higher than player 2's dodge, so he hits. To determine damage, player 1 rolls the damage code for the weapon. In this case, let's say 2d. Player 2 rolls his strength code, and use the damage table <, > 2>, 3> etc to determine damage.

First, let me know if my understanding is correct so far...

Now, Lightsabers have a code a 5D. When one obtains a lightsaber, it goes into inventory, but there is no skill associated with it other than melee, or do they automatically get the lightsaber skill? If they write it in, is it automatically 5D, or does it inherit the Dexterity ability score?

My confusion stems from the way the book is worded. I need some clarification before my first campaign.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Edition RAW (Rules as Written) Page 31 Listed under Dexterity: Blank Skills.

You're meant to write in the Lightsaber skill according to the book, same for Bowcasters.

So, if a character doesn't start the game with one in his inventory, then he'll have to learn the Dexterity skill for Lightsaber, until such time he uses his base Dexterity attribute as the default.

I can see why now they added in Lightsaber and Bowcaster as skills in later editions now since it's a bit confusing.
Jonan Mephi
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
1st Edition RAW (Rules as Written) Page 31 Listed under Dexterity: Blank Skills.

You're meant to write in the Lightsaber skill according to the book, same for Bowcasters.

So, if a character doesn't start the game with one in his inventory, then he'll have to learn the Dexterity skill for Lightsaber, until such time he uses his base Dexterity attribute as the default.

I can see why now they added in Lightsaber and Bowcaster as skills in later editions now since it's a bit confusing.

Thanks. Between this and a little help I got on the FB group, I have it now. On to the second question!

How does Control factor into it? Is adding it to the Lightsaber skill something that always happens, or part of the "trusting to the force" thing, and able to done only so many times?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out page 71 in the book. It goes into how the Force augments lightsaber use, and from there on they have some suggested difficulties for using the Force.

As to how Control is factored into a Lightsaber, it looks like your control skill is added into your base 5D damage for the lightsaber.
Jonan Mephi
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Check out page 71 in the book. It goes into how the Force augments lightsaber use, and from there on they have some suggested difficulties for using the Force.

As to how Control is factored into a Lightsaber, it looks like your control skill is added into your base 5D damage for the lightsaber.

To make sure I understand what I just read, assume the following.

Sample Partial Sheet

Dexterity 3D
---------------
Melee Parry 3D
Lightsaber 4D

Control 1D+1
Sense 1D

To hit: 4D (or 8D when trusting)
Damage: 6D
Parry HtH: Melee Parry or Sense (whichever is higher) [May be destroyed]
Parry Blaster: Sense
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonan Mephi wrote:

Sample Partial Sheet

Dexterity 3D
---------------
Melee Parry 3D
Lightsaber 4D

Control 1D+1
Sense 1D

8D when trusting?

Other than the confusion about what you mean by trusting and that Damage would be 6D+1, I think that is correct.

In later editions, they added Sense into Attack and Defense rolls, including defending against blaster bolts, and Control into Damage.
Jonan Mephi
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Jonan Mephi wrote:

Sample Partial Sheet

Dexterity 3D
---------------
Melee Parry 3D
Lightsaber 4D

Control 1D+1
Sense 1D

8D when trusting?

Other than the confusion about what you mean by trusting and that Damage would be 6D+1, I think that is correct.

In later editions, they added Sense into Attack and Defense rolls, including defending against blaster bolts, and Control into Damage.

Feldercarb... yeah, 6d+1. An honest mistake there. By trusting, I meant "trusting in the force," doubling your stats for the round, which, as I understand it, can be done as many times a day as one has force points.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you check out the sections following the rules for Force Points.

Force Points are spent. Then, only if in Heroic or dramatically Heroic circumstances, does the character get the point back at the end of the adventure; they don't get their Force Points refreshed at the end of the day.

Force Points are the trump cards for the Characters. If they blow them on something selfish or non-heroic, the point is gone.
Jonan Mephi
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:

Force Points are spent. Then, only if in Heroic or dramatically Heroic circumstances, does the character get the point back at the end of the adventure; they don't get their Force Points refreshed at the end of the day.

Force Points are the trump cards for the Characters. If they blow them on something selfish or non-heroic, the point is gone.

Yes, I've taken this into consideration.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I'm all for changing the rules. But, I figured for clarity sake I'd stick to the rules as written.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:

Might be worth sayingg that character point can be earned and you generally get a few pr mission.
Using them adds a +1D to the roll....
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty sure that you couldn't spend character points for rolls in pure vanilla 1E.

Edit: I'm now very sure you can't since they're skill points, not Character Points.

Last edited by Raven Redstar on Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I was pretty sure that you couldn't spend character points for rolls in pure vanilla 1E.

I may be mistaken , but we always used to do it though, but you may well be right here
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:

Edit: I'm now very sure you can't since they're skill points, not Character Points.

Correct. In 1e Core skill points were only used to improve skills. Character Points is a 2e concept, and they were renamed because of the additional uses.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
I may be mistaken , but we always used to do it though, but you may well be right here

I did predict one edition mechanic. In 1e we added the wound status of wounded twice for PCs and important NPCs (we called it doubly wounded but it worked the same way), which didn't officially become a thing until 2eR&E.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: