The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Imperial-class Star Destroyers, how many shots per round?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Imperial-class Star Destroyers, how many shots per round? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Imperial-class Star Destroyers, how many shots per round? Reply with quote

The typical Imperial-class Star Destroyer has 60 Turbolaser Batteries and 60 Ion Cannons. Not all of these can fire in every arc, but if the target ship is in the front/left firing arc (for example), it could still bring 40 Turbolaser Batteries to bear.

In tomorrow's session, I plan on having two ICSDs in orbit as the PC's freighter blasts off the planet.

I've never felt comfortable using that many guns every round. Not to mention the odds of hitting a 6 on your Wild Die when making that many rolls grows exponentially larger.

What do you think is a reasonable amount of weapons to fire every turn?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I should state that I understand it isn't feasible for a lowly freighter to "slug it out" with even a single SD, yet alone two.

And I don't expect my PCs will do this. This question really is only to figure out how many shots the Imps can get off while the freighter races by.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most reasonable approach is to consider all of the weapons to be Coordinated, generate an appropriate bonus for the number of weapons being fired, and then apply that bonus to Damage, Fire Control or some combination of both. I also place a cap on the number of dice that can be applied to Damage based on Range, but that can get a little complicated.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so like combined actions. That's a great idea, and an excellent way around having to roll so many dice.

My guess is that they'll spend Character Points to get an amazing dodge, so this will help out with their chance of hitting, but without the need to roll buckets of dice.

Excellent solution, CR. Thanks!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no problem. I've got plenty of house rules along these lines, too, if you're looking for some suggestions. The 2R&E Coordination Bonus rules are okay for small groups, but get out of hand very quickly as the numbers increase.

Click the link in my signature to check out my Stat & House Rule Index; I've converted all the ships and vehicles from the core Sourcebooks over to my House Rule Scale System, as well as pre-calculating the Coordination bonuses at the bottom of each stat.

If you want to skip the stats and go straight to the House Rule post, here's the link.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually when i have a cap ship like an ISD shoot at a freighter, the FIRST round they get shot at by two guns.. Next round if they're not hitting, it goes to 4. Then to 6. If by then they're still not hitting, THEN THEY COMBINE 6 guns.. Then combine 10 guns....

As for avoiding the buketodice issue, how's about the option of 'RATHER than adding the 6d bonus scale to the PC's dodge, REMOVE that 6d, from the Imps to hit die pool..
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reminded - after seeing both of your posts - about how I'd toyed with switching to that scale system.

Having a scale difference of 3D between a (relatively) tiny freighter and a Star Destroyer just doesn't seem right, but that's what it is in the RAW.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I'm reminded - after seeing both of your posts - about how I'd toyed with switching to that scale system.

Having a scale difference of 3D between a (relatively) tiny freighter and a Star Destroyer just doesn't seem right, but that's what it is in the RAW.

I don't recall suggesting a 3D gap between freighters and ISDs. If I did, it was discarded very early on. The Scale System has undergone quite a few revisions since then, but for the purposes of this conversation, an ISD has a small number of main battery turbolasers at +12D (Destroyer-Scale), a greater number of secondary batteries at +10D (Frigate-Scale) and a midling number of defensive batteries at +6D (Starship-Scale). Rates of Fire are also limited (Mains at 1/2, and Secondaries at 1).

Also, one possible combination of mine and garhkal`s would be to have the ISDs not on full alert, with only 1/4 of the batteries manned, then increase the number of available guns for every round combat continues.

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3D scale difference is RAW.

It didn't end up mattering in my game, as a player heroically used a Force Point and did a one round Astrogation and jump to hyperspace.

FWIW, I was going to have one of the SDs completely caught off guard, and only give one the option of lighting up the freighter.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your reference for the 3D difference? I've only ever heard of a 6D difference, from 2R&E.

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake. I somehow had a version where someone had many a 'Space Transports' scale in-between 'Starfighter' and 'Capital', and thought that was the RAW.

6D is much more appropriate, as there is such a massive difference in size between the two!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
The 3D scale difference is RAW.

It didn't end up mattering in my game, as a player heroically used a Force Point and did a one round Astrogation and jump to hyperspace.

FWIW, I was going to have one of the SDs completely caught off guard, and only give one the option of lighting up the freighter.

How did thy jump in ONE round? IIRC of Raw, hyperspacing is a full minute, HALF that if you half your die pool... How did you get "They can go in one round'?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per the RAW (p. 118) characters can attempt to make a "hasty entry":

"In emergencies, a character can try to jump into hyperspace in one round instead of one minute"
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... So that's different than all other skills where you 'rush it'.. Thanks for the correction.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Per the RAW (p. 118) characters can attempt to make a "hasty entry":

"In emergencies, a character can try to jump into hyperspace in one round instead of one minute"

garhkal wrote:
Ah... So that's different than all other skills where you 'rush it'.. Thanks for the correction.

That's a good point guys. The general rule for rushing things that take more than one round is halving the time. The astrogation time for hasty entry into hyperspace (one round instead of one minute) is a leftover from 1e that didn't have a general rule for rushing actions.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: