The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Credits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Credits Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Credits Reply with quote

So I just read over a bunch of threads on these forums about credits, but nothing that really addresses what I'm curious about.

When my PCs started out, they were very much outlaws and rogues. Edge of the Empire types (if you're familiar with FFG's game), with a single Jedi mixed in. They weren't really affiliated with the Rebellion against the Empire, but still did heroic things (like taking out slavers).

There was a point where I spent a bunch of time using the various WEG books trying to figure out how much they would make as smugglers transporting loads of cargo in a freighter from one place to the other. I'm not really interested in a game that gets into the nitty-gritty and details of accounting and number crunching, though.

As they have adventured, the PCs have become more aligned with the Rebels, and now effectively they work with (and for) them. They actually now go more on 'missions' for the Alliance, as opposed to being smugglers and scoundrels.

During the last game we played some sabacc. The 'buy-in' was 50 credits, and when a player ran out they were able to buy-in again (once). But it exposed that I've just been ignoring the whole monetary system for years.

One long-running PC (one of two that has been going since the start of the campaign, who as earned 228 character points) is an arms dealer, so he's constantly getting his hands on things like weapons and stormtrooper armor and selling it. Meaning he is (or should be) loaded with cash.

So it would be nice to know how much cash/money (in the form of credits) the individual PCs have, for purposes like when they want to spend some on sabacc. Or if one of the PCs wants to buy some cool new gear at some Outer Rim place.

Beyond the basics given in the templates, does anybody have any good info on how much any particular person should make over time? I think I'm going to scour the other Star Wars RPG books I own to see if I can get any ballpark of what is a reasonable amount of Imperial Credits (we're 1 BBY, so the Empire is firmly in charge) for PCs to have or make over a particular period of time.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you asking for a set "Wage/yr"??
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking more of a per job, so what they might make per month or the like. I suppose even what they make in a year could be extrapolated down into smaller time frames.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its also worth figuring out just how valuable a "credit" is.

If I suggest somrthing like 50K a month and garhkal says 30K, we might actually be suggesting what we perceive as the same amount of wealth, whereas I would THINK he was selling you short and vice versa.

"Loaded with cash" means to me that a character can essentially buy any ONE thing he wants (up to, let's say, a used high end speeder) between paydays without having to track finances.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Credits Reply with quote

My rule of thumb is 1 credit = $1 US. So, lots of folks get by on 25,000 (Tattooine) to 60,000 (Coruscant) per year.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Credits in star wars is a little "odd" if you ask me.
Most people are able to support a family on very little credits, like 50 a week and that is living well above any level of poverty.

As to how pr job, I would deem that be decidded on a pr jobb level. not all jobs would pay the same, unless we are talkingg wages here.

I would assume a freelance starship tech with 4-5D in starship repair skill would et by on about 50 a month, all depending on the lvel of wealth.

on the other hand some prices are insane comapred to the basic living costs
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I was thinking more of a per job, so what they might make per month or the like. I suppose even what they make in a year could be extrapolated down into smaller time frames.

Most 'smugglers' or free traders, won't have a set 'wage' (IMO) its based on how often they ship, how much they can make in profit etc..

Mamatried wrote:
Credits in star wars is a little "odd" if you ask me.
Most people are able to support a family on very little credits, like 50 a week and that is living well above any level of poverty.

As to how pr job, I would deem that be decidded on a pr jobb level. not all jobs would pay the same, unless we are talkingg wages here.

I would assume a freelance starship tech with 4-5D in starship repair skill would et by on about 50 a month, all depending on the lvel of wealth.

on the other hand some prices are insane comapred to the basic living costs

True.. We never really see costs listed for 'living (such as how much an appartment costs, food etc). So it's hard to see how much someone should get for wages for each 'skill' level.. And even then you'd get a lot of variations.. A driver (taxi) won't earn as much as a doctor would, or a ship mechanic.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really see offscreen income as really that important in the game because it only really makes sense if you nickel and dime everything. Do you have characters pay income taxes? Property tax? Rent/mortgage? Utility bills? Union fees? Driver/piloting licenses and speeder/starship registration fees? Insurance? Doctor visit copays? Clothes? Groceries? Household supplies? Toiletries? That sounds boring. I don't bother with minutia like that. It's mostly handled offscreen. The only thing that really matters are in-adventure income and important expenditures.

I run two types of campaigns: rebel spec ops and tramp smugglers.

For rebels, basic necessities are provided by the Alliance, as available. The credits on the character sheet are just for personal expenditures. If the PCs need more money for a mission than they have, they may be given credits by the Alliance. If the PCs make money on adventures, it's theirs.

The premise of tramp campaign is that the PCs do mostly mundane jobs in-between roleplayed adventures. These offscreen jobs are where they make enough money to cover expenses to cover mundane things, so it never matters how much it costs or how much the PCs make. The in-adventure jobs are where the PCs make their money for important expenditures like bribes, gambling, new droids, better weapons, modifying their ship, monthly loan shark payments, etc. Stuff we have prices for in the game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like tracking the minutia either, but then it's tough to know how much each character should have for things like buying cool new weapons, or bribes, or gambling.

I've started looking through some of the other SW roleplaying books that I own, and some list prices for things like lightsabers (or even double-bladed lightsabers), which in my view would pretty much never be available to purchase.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I don't like tracking the minutia either, but then it's tough to know how much each character should have for things like buying cool new weapons, or bribes, or gambling.

I've started looking through some of the other SW roleplaying books that I own, and some list prices for things like lightsabers (or even double-bladed lightsabers), which in my view would pretty much never be available to purchase.

I don't rememer if it was 500 or 1000 credits the "coaxium" that quira and han stole on corellia before han had join up with the empire.

In one of the scenes theey state a monitary vaule in the 500-1000 range and that seems to be quite the fortune, enough to plan not pnly to get out of the slums but planning a future and a life, it also seemed to be a "huge" bribe when used to get through the gate.

In the mandalorian, the ecconomy has suffered but it seems tht the basic credit is not worth very much.

The issue I see is that if you can "live" on a salary of mere 50-100 a month, then it makes little sense for our globbal ecconomy that a drink cost as much a 1/50th income, or a mere flashlight costing 5-10 credits being a day, maybe a week worth of work.

so I suspect that the issue is more on the oddball values of things and the oddball ecconomy more than any monitary value.

If you think that a character has enough to buy a rifle, lets say 4-600 credits, this is then also enough to maybbe live a place for months, with rent and food covered, and most likely a little bit to take a night out.

I tend to not care at all about the monitary vaules, and more let charters find or "secure" gear and valuables, but naturally I ggrou just finished a bounty earning then 5000, enough to actualy do alot of modifications to the ship.

and given that you can buy actual starships for as little 15-20 000, then a price of 10 for a "magazine" power pac, a flashligght and the like is simply oddball ecconomy
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else that I've seen running solo games has used the following for his games be tramp freighters, privateering or anything else.

Each job/mission/ship the characters pull off or capture gets a payout of the following after expenses:
Easy: 1,000 credits
Tough: 10,000 credits
Heroic: 100,000 credits

But, he also uses the same scale for purchases, so your typical ship is going to be costing a character 100k instead of 20 listed in the books. His reasoning was that he didn't want to go into the minutia of looking up cargo values and such or go through the trouble of looking everything up all the time.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I don't really see offscreen income as really that important in the game because it only really makes sense if you nickel and dime everything. Do you have characters pay income taxes? Property tax? Rent/mortgage? Utility bills? Union fees? Driver/piloting licenses and speeder/starship registration fees? Insurance? Doctor visit copays? Clothes? Groceries? Household supplies? Toiletries? That sounds boring. I don't bother with minutia like that. It's mostly handled offscreen. The only thing that really matters are in-adventure income and important expenditures.

That's one thing ad&d did well, in it established a 'basic living expenditure' for all PC's, based on level, and what lifestyle they wanted...
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
In the mandalorian, the ecconomy has suffered but it seems tht the basic credit is not worth very much.

Well I don't remember what kind of credits it was or if the episode even said, but Mando got a helluva deal on ship repairs on that Mon Cal/Quarren colony planet. The ship was nearly totaled and only 1000 credits repaired a lot!

As far as credits and products seeming to have different value in different times and places, remember that this is a galactic economy and we on Earth literally have no model to even approximate the complexities of it. Values can fluctuate and vary per location. I only ever consider any listed prices for things as ball park. Anything that needs a price, I make up something and move on without fussing over it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my last Star Wars game, I developed a 'lifestyle' cost. Every character had to buy in to one, even if it was 'Destitute' for 0 cr.
It distinguished at what level they were living at, from poverty to incredible luxury.

I'll try to find it and share if interested.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see it. I'm sure Doug and others would too.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: