The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Three new force powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Three new force powers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Induce Unconsciousness as you have written it is incredibly powerful. A character with 3 dice control and 3 dice alter could silently take out most opponents with this. The clone troops could never have taken the jedi temple if the padawans had been trained in this skill.

Uh-huh, riiiiight. Because of the powers they have to learn first all padawans who don't even have power number one would indeed have that power...

Seriously, people, do not be so damn rude. Are you intentionally trying to drive Ambrose away?
to finance my 'vette!

Last edited by Boomer on Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's all try to be a little nicer, uh?
ambrose82
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense taken. I asked for critical thoughts to help me refine the powers. That's a valuable insight. As I've not had a chance to playtest, I had not thought to much about what level of power should be required. I've not taken any offense to any of the posts here. No worries, but your concern and thoughtfulness are certainly appreciated.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to go overboard, sorry.
to finance my 'vette!
entropy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: The force is strong on those with weak minds Reply with quote

My apologies, I did not intend to come across as rude. It is unfortunate that one's tone of voice carries so poorly through written text. I only wanted to make people think about the dangers of giving that power to a PC.

I feel that willpower is not a skill most NPCs concentrate on, and since the average human has a 2d knowledge (and the average large and dangerous race even less), it seemed too easy to take out the big guys with this. I suppose this is dependent on your campaign, though. If you had characters making willpower rolls for everything, everyone would beef up their willpower and this power might be balanced as originally written.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only real thoughts is that there are other powers that already produce the same, or similar effects, already in official books. Shift senses, place in hybernation trance, receptive telepathy. By reading the descriptions of those powers, it can be seen that they can be used to produce all of these effects already. It just makes me feel that too many powers are being made to be too specific, which takes away some of the mystery and wonder of the force, as well as greatly restricting the force users.

Aside from that, with the cause unconciousness, and detect deception, the relationship to the target should add modifiers too the roll, as well as proximity. Otherwise they become too easy to use compared with other, similar powers.
ambrose82
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree with Kage on the overly simplified difficulty metrics, as I've previously stated, I still think shift senses is vastly different that clear sight. Clear sight has a more narrow and specific use, but as described earlier in the thread, shift sense is used to go from one natural means of perception to another natural means of perception. Many of these types of perception (IR, UV, thermographics) are still very much affected by particulate interference. Even sonar and radar can be disrupted by large or dense clouds of dust or smoke.

Also, Receptive Telepathy is different than probing for truth. Receptive Telepathy allows for the reading of surface thoughts, which often have little to do with determining truth. I see receptive telepathy as skimming the surface, whereas detect falsehood is more dependent of physiological clues and the convictions of the person being examined.

True, these are similar to some home grown powers, but I created these without the benefit of these other sources. I appreciate your help in further refining them.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your just a little off on shift sense. It allows the Jedi to shift a sense to "detect phenomena of a different type than normal. So you don't have to shift to a natural sense. Because of that, you could shift any sense to detect almost anything else. It's really only limited by the player's creativity.

As for why KageRyu recommends that receptive telepathy, it's because when people lie they are either thinking about the truth, their means of deception, or something similar. Think about when you played sick last, whether for school or work - you were probably thinking about not wanting to get busted, should you make your voice sound sicker, less sick? You might wonder if the person you're coning believes you or not. So, if you are scanning their surface thoughts you pick up those thoughts. If you were ripping someone off, you might say you'll give them 20,000; but be thinking "I'll start low at 20,000; then if he bites, great - I can turnaround and sell it for 58,000 easy." [Says 20,000] "He, seems to be thinking it over, I hope he takes it, I can make a great turnaround on this." So on that principle, you could use receptive as a lie detector.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. Plus, remember that if you roll double the difficulty you can sift through the memories of the last day, making it really easy to see if the person is lying.

An about Place Another in Hibernation Trance, if I remember correctly is cannot be used without the consent of the target, so it's useless in combat.
ambrose82
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I'll accept the Receptive Telepathy being useful for lie detection. Works for me.

Shift sense... I think it's a little off for use to see through clouds and gas, but I concede the "natural vs. unnatural" phenomena.

The two homegrown powers Gry has previously listed fill the gap for induce unconsciousness, so I guess these are just three more homegrowns to add to the mix if anyone cares to do so.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get discouraged. It's great that you made some powers for areas where you see gaps. When it comes down to it, some of the official powers are just way more useful than people think they are. If you really want an example, look up affect mind sometime. Most PC's think it's limited to waving hands and telling people what words to say. If you read WEG's description, you could have a practical field day with that power alone.

Sometimes those of us on the forum just jump into the versitile uses we've found for the existing powers. Don't tale it personal, there are definatly some things demonstrated that can't be replicated so easily with the existing powers.
That's improbable?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, using Affect Mind like they do in the movies is probably the most difficult thing you could do with the power. It's so much easier to just apply some slight shift in perception.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You noticed that too? I always thought that was kind of funny.
That's improbable?
entropy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: The dangers of perception Reply with quote

Quote:
In fact, using Affect Mind like they do in the movies is probably the most difficult thing you could do with the power. It's so much easier to just apply some slight shift in perception.

Ahh, but there is an inherent danger in only giving a perception. My GM once took the easy route and had a sneaky jedi give me a perception of tens of thousands of voles (little mouse-like animal) swarming at me. He beat my perception roll, so I did in fact see them, but my character had a fairly high knowledge, and reasoned that there was no way the ecosystem could support this many creatures. I assumed it was a hallucination or hologram, I had no idea a jedi was on the planet. The GM accepted my character's analysis, and allowed me to ignore the swarm (I think I had to make a willpower roll).

Had the jedi added the extra 10 points to make it a conclusion that I should run in fear, I wouldn't have had any option. As it turned out, the jedi was friendly, but I'm sure it made him rethink his view of our party.

Some background information, We had been scouting the area for about a week looking for a place to set up a base, and stumbled on an old structure near a cliff in the middle of it. I had good reason to believe I was familiar with the area, and these creatures.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that makes sense. Altering perceptions is not as failproof as altering conclusions. But it can be a much more creative way of accomplishing what you want.

For exemple, the group wanted to know what was on the screen of a bank clerk they were talking to. The screen was turned away from them and they couldn't raise any suspicion. The jedi could just mind effect the clerk to make him believe he should give us the info, however it would be a tough roll. So he just altered the man's perception to make him think the screen had accidently turned to the group and we were seeing everything, the clerk then turned the screen around, and now the group could see everything. Very simple, very effective.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: