The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Three new force powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Three new force powers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
entropy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Perception vs. conclusion Reply with quote

This is true. In fact, had the jedi used a more realistic perception, like the old building starting to collapse, I probably would have run as expected. I like the idea of the screen facing the wrong way, nice and simple. I'm sure I would have picked a more complicated route, holding out a datapad and giving the perception that it was whatever ID was appropriate to be given the information. That would turn it into a knowledge roll and a con roll in addition to the Affect Mind.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an idea. How's about we use this for showcasing our house made force powers... here is one of mine..

Flames of Anger
Sense-Alter power.
Sense Diff: 20 + Proximity LOS range
Alter Diff: 25 +5 per additional meter range, + proximity
NOTE using this power causes the user to gain one dark side point per target in the area of 'effect'.

Requires: Inflict pain, injure kill, bolt of hatred, TK, rage

Effect: The user channels all his rage into manifest fury, fueling the flames of anger which burst forth suddenly as the user desires, be it a column of wispy black and red flame that erupts from the sky or a fiery black explosion of dark anger that seemingly pops from out of thin air.
This is a major corruption of the force, and as such is not truly energy, instead the effect of the blast is that of the users anger and rage manifested into this dark power.
The force user effects a 2 meter area (base) to be engulfed by his rage and hate. The above difficulties are to USE the power.
If successfully used, those in the ‘Area’ take damage of the force users Perception (not modified by multi action penalties) + 1d for each 3d he currently has in Alter. They resist with their perception, though force users get to add in 1d for every 3d they currently have in Control. Treat the overflow as the ‘damage (0-3 stun, 4-8 wounded etc).
IF the power is successfully used on someone they loose 1 character point, and they loose a second if they take a wound or greater. Also, if they take a wound or greater, they are in writhing pain for that round and the next (similar to force lightning).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few other 'force like' powers i am working on. When i get done, i will post here for review.
Morpheus Grifullkin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ambrose82
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll think more about the flames of hatred. There's already a pyrokinesis power in the force powers "compendium" floating around, but this is more like a controlled manifestation of hate or anger? Interesting...

Here's a power I'm working with. Haven't set difficulties or anything yet.

Fuse (or bind): A Jedi using this power can fuse two or more objects of the same material into one. It can only be used on inorganic matter. The power's difficulty is modified by proximity, number of objects and mass involved, possibly by the fineness of the fusing. So, if the fusing was seamless it would be much more difficult than if it looked "welded" together. Alter is the core skill being used. Maybe control as well?

There are so few pure alter powers though...

I see uses of this power as boundless. The Jedi could seal a hole in a ships hull, reconnect corroded or snapped cables, fuse a blasters trigger to the casing, making it impossible to fire, etc... of course, now it needs it's evil twin... Divide.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently working on a dark side tainted order, calling themselves shadow walkers.... They will have several 'unique; force like power, based of shadows.
Like shadow dancing (diff is variable based on the distance you wish to travel), that costs a force point (does not doiuble the stats though) to activate and lasts 10 rounds... Allows the SW to travel from shadow to shadow instantaneously (one 'port per round').
Shadow wrap. If successfully pulled off, the target is enveloped in shadows, that start to suffocate the victim (initial roll only used for avoiding being enveloped, but stamina checks per round to avoid suffocation). Lasts 5 rounds, no mainenance needed. If they survive, they survive.
Shadow touch. Kind of a projected fighting like power, using the shadows to strike..
Shadow creation (high as heck diff to make them where there are none, easier where others exist). Just makes it easier to do other shadow powers...
ambrose82
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an extension or second power to accompany the fuse/divide power started above. The power is called "Shape matter" and it would allow the Jedi, by the power of his mind and will to reshape inorganic matter. He would not be able to change it's make-up but he could change it's shape. He could reshape stones into statues, make a bar of soap look like a blaster... that kind of stuff... obviously, again the modifiers would be proximity, mass involved, detail of the shaping... I see this as definitely a control and alter power. Possibly even sense to know what the material is and determine stresses and such. This could be the power used to create Jedi structures in the Old Republic. Rather than build using conventional means they just reshaped a mountain into a temple or library.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a power that has cropped up in my games very often. Would be very useful for Jedi Inquisitors in a TotJ Era.
Mind Probe
Control+Sense
Control Diff: 10 as modified by proximity
Sense Diff: 10 or targets Sense/Perception/Willpower as modified by relationship (it's easier to probe those you know, as you have a sense of their emotional make up)
Required Powers: (I don't use these much as I do the force differently, so let's say...) Receptive Telepathy, Projective Telepathy, Magnify Senses.
This allows a Jedi to look into a targets mind and sift through it for information. If the Jedi is not looking for any specific information (just seeing what the target knows for example), then increase the difficulties for both rolls by 1 level. If the Jedi is looking for a specific piece of information, he can determine if the target knows, and how much he knows about it. Each new search of thoughts requires a new roll and allows the target to resist.

I have a long list of Force abilities I have built in the 15+ years I have run star wars. Most are not styled in the new format though.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with using Receptive Telepathy for the uses you mentioned? It's always worked fine in my games...
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Receptive telepathy works if the situation is right, and conditions are right. If the target is not thinking of a specific thing, or if you are looking for memories of certain events specifically, then receptive telepathy will be almost useless. Also, receptive telepathy gets more of the surface thoughts, and only lets you sort through memories of the last two weeks if you double the difficulty.
Mind Probe is specifically a mind probe. It does not have the same constrainst as receptive telepathy, and is less likely to pick up on "background" clutter. Mind Probe isn't targeted at the surface thoughts at all, and will reveal much more specific and detailed information.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. R-T is great at basically scanning their CURRENT surface thoughts, but not imo useful for digging deeper. Kind of like ESP actually.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
True. R-T is great at basically scanning their CURRENT surface thoughts, but not imo useful for digging deeper. Kind of like ESP actually.

Yes, Receptive Telepathy can come in handy in a pinch, by asking leading questions especially (thus making the desired information a surface thought hopefully). But there was a constant desire to dig deeper, and also see their memories as the target saw them. So I used the idea of Mind Probe from other games. I have similar powers for things like Receptive Empathy (though I guess Receptive Telepathy almost covers this, but says nothing about emotions) and Projective Empathy (almost in the pervue of Affect Mind, but it says nothing about altering emotional state).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: