The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Making Force Artifacts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Making Force Artifacts Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Making Force Artifacts Reply with quote

"Magical Items" powered by the Force is a trope that appears multiple times throughout the EU, with the greatest detail being found in the Sith chapter of the Tales of the Jedi Companion. Obviously, this opens the door to the importation of magical items generally from other settings (within reason, obviously; some of the fantasy items are just going to be too fantastical to really "fit" the setting).

I'm curious as to what everyone's thoughts are on this:
    1) How are artifacts made/created? By what mechanism is an inanimate object granted a permanent connection to the Force? There is precedent for gems having a connection to the Force (the Kaiburr Crystal from SotME), so maybe Force Artifacts need to incorporate a gem of some kind?

2) Can an item be "recharged" by a Force user putting power into it?

3) What's the process of making such an item? Obviously making a Force Artifact would require a Force user, as well as the appropriate components. Spending CPs or even FPs seems fair. Maybe even a blood sacrifice for some of the dark Sith items (using another creature's Life Force to power the creation process).

4) Limits? What can a Force Artifact do?
I'm leaving for work here in a bit, but I wanted to get the ball rolling on discussion.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing that comes to mind is using the rules for imbuing a melee weapon with the force.

I am not sure of that is actually in the raw, but I do know it is in the d20 version and I think it can be translated to the d6 system fairly easily.

My initial thought would be spending a force point, you can basically give the holocron a DX rating to the relevant attribute, lets say Knowledge in the case of a "force secret" thing. it adds +XD to knowledge-jedi Lore
and the content is the secret power of malacia, which can now be learned as if
having a teacher.

that is basically the first thing I can think of.

A jedi/sith can then use more force points/darkside points to add more things to the holocron, maybe at a cap of 3FP total for "attributes and content"
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d20 has a few:

Dark side talisman (protects against hostile "light side" force powers such as malacia, sever force, morichro, and force light).

Sith sword (spend a FP -- which is similar in concept but less "nuclear" than in D6 -- to add the FP's bonus dice to damage for one minute).

Force weapon (non-powered melee weapon, like a staff or sword, gains a damage bonus based on the experience level of the force user).
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option might be tools of some sort that allows a force-trained holder to use a certain power, without teaching them that power. I could see these being common with dark side powers.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, I’m more interested in how such items could be made than I am in what sorts of items might exist.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Making Force Artifacts Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

1) How are artifacts made/created? By what mechanism is an inanimate object granted a permanent connection to the Force? There is precedent for gems having a connection to the Force (the Kaiburr Crystal from SotME), so maybe Force Artifacts need to incorporate a gem of some kind?

3) What's the process of making such an item? Obviously making a Force Artifact would require a Force user, as well as the appropriate components. Spending CPs or even FPs seems fair. Maybe even a blood sacrifice for some of the dark Sith items (using another creature's Life Force to power the creation process).

These two, I think, are closely related. I think a major aspect of a force artifact is going to be, essentially, "bathed" in the Force... not just passively existing within the Force, obviously, but frequently exposed to the Force with a purpose. I might expect lightsabers to be relatively common artifacts, especially their crystals (which may be more sensitive to it than the material of the handle). In some ways, this would be part of why there seem to be so many more Dark Side objects... it's easier to consistently bathe something in hate and fear and anger than it is for something to be constantly surrounded by happiness beyond what you'd encounter normally.

I'd also lay some odds on "force enchanting" being something like a lost alter "power" or ritual.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(A)Artificer skill might be the way to go. A skill I'd assume would only be available on a really old holocron.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
To clarify, I’m more interested in how such items could be made than I am in what sorts of items might exist.

Check out the rules for building a lightsaber. Sounds like a good place to start. Also try d20 Revised core rules for lightsaber construction.

Seems like anything else could be extraolated from there.

Also, I believe the Dark Side Sourcebook (d20) also has some examples of making force artifacts.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned lightsabers, but I realized where I got the thought: KotOR. In the two games, there were a number of special lightsaber crystals that would provide various effects to your lightsaber.

I would be inclined, as I said, to make it a specific process, and I think the idea of making it a special skill* is a good one... but I'm not sure what would be the best base skill option.

So, let's consider two special skills: Force Alchemy (which makes changes to living creatures) and Force Artifice (which makes changes to an object). Of the two, Force Artifice is easier; Force Alchemy might even be an Advanced skill of Force Artifice (I can see the lessons of Alchemy being useful in Artifice). Force Artifice should have prereqs about Alter 5D, Sense and Control 4D. Alchemy should be closer to Alter 8D, Sense and Control 6D, and maybe Force Artifice of 4D or so. Alter is obvious... you are making a change in something else. Sense is so you know what you're doing to the target. Control is to focus your own Force, making you a conduit for the Force, providing energy and direction (and, quite frankly, because something this massive should require a lot of basic force mastery).

Both are going to be similar to Technical repair/engineering skills, but I don't have set difficulties in mind, yet.

*Special Skill: Category I just made up. Like advanced skills, it has prereqs to be learned. Unlike advanced skills, it adds nothing to the use of those prereqs.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just make it an (A) Skill with parallel Knowledge/Technical skills and specific Force powers as Prerequisites? I've toyed around with (A) Skills for Force Powers in the past, and it would seem appropriate to put a really high bar in both the Knowledge and Force aspects of it.

Either that, or just have a construction process that requires separate Artifice/Alchemy and Force Skill rolls (with Knowledge of the specific required power to complete). It doesn't have to be all rolled up in a single package.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Why not just make it an (A) Skill with parallel Knowledge/Technical skills and specific Force powers as Prerequisites? I've toyed around with (A) Skills for Force Powers in the past, and it would seem appropriate to put a really high bar in both the Knowledge and Force aspects of it.

Because, as you've pointed out to me, (A) skills add to their prereqs. Special Skills, as written, have prereqs, but don't help them in their normal function.

Quote:
Either that, or just have a construction process that requires separate Artifice/Alchemy and Force Skill rolls (with Knowledge of the specific required power to complete). It doesn't have to be all rolled up in a single package.

Perhaps, and that can work.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a video recently on how the magical rings were created in Lord of the Rings, where the point is made that anyone who creates a magical ring puts a portion of themself into the ring at the moment of creation. Considering Yoda's statement that "Life creates it [the Force], makes it grow," it would make sense that the creation of a Force Artifact would require the transfer of Force energy from living source to a non-living receptacle of some sort (I like the idea of gems and/or crystals being an essential component of such). So, at the very least, any sort of Item Creation powers would require Transfer Force as a prerequisite...

cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting idea. I could also see requiring the power and spending Force Points as a part of the "transferal procedure."

Unless, ya know, you're pouring your own (or someone else's) life into it. Though I think that's getting into dark side artifacts.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
That's an interesting idea. I could also see requiring the power and spending Force Points as a part of the "transferal procedure."

Unless, ya know, you're pouring your own (or someone else's) life into it. Though I think that's getting into dark side artifacts.

That dovetails well with magical item creation from D&D, where magic users had to spend XP to create magical items.

The darker side would be things like ritual sacrifices to drain the life force of another being to fuel a dark artifact of some sort. Maybe that would be a Drain Life Energy as a prerequisite.

cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I think that it can also affect the kind of ongoing effects that the object can have, not just the immediate use of the item.

I had a force artifact that someone picked up in a game, and it granted a general floating +1D to any one Force skill. It was quite a useful and tempting thing to use for a low-level starting Jedi. That +1D allowed someone to get a power up that they might have struggled with. The thing was, after several uses, they had temptations to use it for sketchier and sketcher things. They started to have to make Willpower checks not to do evil whenever they used it. They kept succeeding in the willpower checks so they didn't stop using it.

Pretty soon, it the difficulties were getting too high, and they didn't want to risk it. So I said, "You've become accustomed to using the artifact. Make a willpower check to not use it.

Unfortunately it was years ago and I think I lost the mechanics I had written out for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: