The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Splinter of the Mind's Eye Sourcebook v0.2 Beta (03-02-2021)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Splinter of the Mind's Eye Sourcebook v0.2 Beta (03-02-2021) Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Splinter of the Mind's Eye Sourcebook v0.2 Beta (03-02-2021) Reply with quote

I am posting the beta version of Splinter of the Mind's Eye Sourcebook in a Google doc, so people can make comments/suggestions about items in the document. Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye Sourcebook v0.2 Beta (03-02-2021)

EDIT: Splinter of the Mind's Eye Sourcebook v1.0 (2021-Mar-9)
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you already have a bunch of this done, excellent.

I'll go and have a look later on and see if there's any feed back I can give.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if we see something, just create a new comment on the section within the document, or do you want them posted as suggestions as a follow up post?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
So, if we see something, just create a new comment on the section within the document, or do you want them posted as suggestions as a follow up post?

Within the document would be the most effective way. Then I know exactly what section and your suggestion or comment.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious why this has not garnered more interest. Is it because the material is so old, being the first ever Star Wars EU novel? Is it because its sorta an alternate timeline story since it was written as a sequel to A New Hope? Seriously, I find this confusing.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a combination of things.

First off, most people are keyed up on the High Republic novels, The Mandalorian, and the forthcoming TV series. The first is boiling, the second is simmering, and the pots containing the last are ready to be put on the range to boil.

Second, the last of the Alphabet Squadron trilogy came out last week, and we have the next Chiss book coming out soon.

Third, you got the case of Canon vs. Legends timeline, though I think I'm among the majority who say that while the new Canon novels and timeline are good for the most part (the Sequel trilogy being a case of coming out too soon - needing more time to cook), we miss the great characters, stories, and all the geeky stuff that we RPG's are salivating for in the sourcebooks that came with the Legends. And FYI, my opinion of the Sequel trilogy deals with the movies, not the novels and comics leading up to them and in between the movies. The printed works were great. For comparison, I thoroughly enjoyed the original KOTOR computer game. KOTORII not as much because they rushed to get it out for the Christmas season that year. An additional year working and tweaking the game would have been more beneficial. TFA was okay. I group TLJ with KOTORII. TROS falls between the two - while better than TLJ, it wouldn't have hurt to have spent some more time on it to ensure the reception didn't match that of TLJ.

The previous two reasons lead into the fourth reason - consider the novel and author. Though I haven't read his non SW stuff, I do know Mr. Foster has written the novelization of TFA. So I'm not that familiar with the quality of his work. And no offense to him, but he and his works aren't as prominent in SW EU literature as Timothy Zahn, Michael A. Stackpole, Aaron Allston, Kevin J. Anderson, and others - the giants of SWEU literature.
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this could be a case of most people just not getting involved so much on this site or not having much to add to the project, rather than the age of the material.

If that's a worry though, maybe put in a link to the Wookieepedia article on the book or similar to show what you are references
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
I think this could be a case of most people just not getting involved so much on this site or not having much to add to the project, rather than the age of the material.

If that's a worry though, maybe put in a link to the Wookieepedia article on the book or similar to show what you are references

When you say not having much to add to the project - that may be so to a point. Much of the material already has stats, so that's done. And it's one book, so that's a mixed blessing. You have the Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook, which is an amalgam of three separate books, each of which had their own sourcebook. And there's the Jedi Academy Trilogy. On the opposite side of the coin, you have the Truce of Bakura Sourcebook and the Dark Empire Sourcebook, both of which were derived from one source. And you have Cracken's Threat Dossier, which had stats from seven books - The Courtship of Princess Leia, The Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy, and The Corellian Trilogy.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I am curious why this has not garnered more interest. Is it because the material is so old, being the first ever Star Wars EU novel? Is it because its sorta an alternate timeline story since it was written as a sequel to A New Hope? Seriously, I find this confusing.

Yes, it's old and it is a weird alternate timeline. The novel came out in 1978 and it was contradicted by TESB which strongly implies that is the first in-person encounter between Vader and Luke. TESB makes the most sense and is the most dramatic without SotME.

When WEG was laying the foundation for (what would later become) the EU, WEG was instructed by Lucasfilm to leave out certain things like the Marvel Comic, and the Ewok live action movies and cartoons. WEG was told to include the Brian Daley Han Solo novels, but to ignore SotME. When the EU was officially launched a few years later by the shotgun wedding of The Dark Empire to The Thrawn Trilogy, some things that were left out in '87 were added but SotME was still left out. Then a few years later, they rereleased the novel, and since Lucasfilm has sold consumers on the concept that canon is important, they then canonized the novel. The EU was hopelessly self-contradictory anyway and Lucas didn't really care because the movies were the art (and top tier canon) and the rest of the franchise were just consumer products.

I don't blame the author or novel for anything that happened later which the author couldn't have foreseen, but the novel had a couple aspects that didn't even jive with ANH. It didn't make sense to me that Leia would be the one who didn't know how to swim and needed to be rescued by Luke who did. Luke grew up on a desert planet where they had to suck moisture down from the sky to make water, so where would he have learned to swim? It should have been Luke who didn't know how to swim, getting rescued by Leia.

This novel had some neat bits but it has limited appeal to modern SW gamers (I am personally more interested in the planet now since it appeared in Solo). The story doesn't really jive with any canon, and it is extremely unlikely that any GM is going to disregard everything else and base their SWU on this book. So the only good in it for most GMs is just to pillage it for anything of use and repurpose it for our own games. I don't know how much there is for that.

I totally feel you for not getting responses to the work you share with the community. Half of my posts get no response. I have to believe that the literally thousands of lurkers that visit this site love my stuff as-is. That's probably the same for you too. It's an often thankless job to be a content provider for this hobby.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's precisely because SotME does not conform to any sort of canon and/or was immediately contradicted by TESB that I, for one, don't have any interest in it.

And shootingwomprats, I feel you when you say you don't get any fan response for your fanbook. I remember feeling the same way when Treefrog and I finally managed to get the Legacy of the Force fanbook done a few years ago. (At the end of March, it will be exactly four years ago since we got it done. For Treefrog, it was a project ten years in the making.) Treefrog, one of his friends, and I spent the better part of a year hashing out the final edits. Once we finally got it done and submitted to the Rancor Pit fan database...nothing. No comments at all from the community at large, at least none that I can recall.

But then, recognition wasn't what we (or at least I) were after. I just wanted to make LotF the best fanbook I could just because I could. I guess Doing It For The Art was my main motivation for editing LotF (though I do admit I was kinda hoping I would get a nice comment from somebody once it was done). Even so, on occasion, I open up my copy of LotF on my computer and scroll through it to take pride in my work. For fanbooks, that's probably the biggest reward one could hope for. It serves.
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want you to know that I love your and Treefrog's Legacy of the Force Fanbook Sutehp, because I must have missed
the original release to tell you both then. I used it as a reference when I converted the D20 NJO characters and often
got lost for a bit just reading through it instead of getting down to work.

Thanks for all the hard word you guy's put into it Very Happy
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
I want you to know that I love your and Treefrog's Legacy of the Force Fanbook Sutehp, because I must have missed
the original release to tell you both then. I used it as a reference when I converted the D20 NJO characters and often
got lost for a bit just reading through it instead of getting down to work.

Thanks for all the hard word you guy's put into it Very Happy

AN ACTUAL RESPONSE! Shocked Shocked Shocked Cool

See, shootingwomprats? Just wait four years after you finish the SotME book and THEN you'll see a response from the fans! Laughing Laughing Laughing

EDIT: Oh, and Xain, you're welcome. Razz Very Happy
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol Yes indeed, an actual human(ish) response. Pass it's rare content on to Treefrog if he's still around Very Happy

I often comment on shootingwomprats and other poster's output not just to encourage such amazing efforts, but also because it is
excellent stuff made by people thst have a passion for it and that is put on here for free with nothing but hope of a 'thank you' or 'great
work dude' or some kind of feedback

It's not much to ask for all the hard work.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some mock-up I may use. Not sure yet. Book is already taking to freakin long for the amount of impact it will have. Was thinking of putting in images, but no longer sure.

@swd6podcast, Twitter
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The covers are definitely in keeping with West End Games
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: