The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Disarm in d6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Disarm in d6 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Disarm in d6 Reply with quote

According to Saga rules, when attempting to disarm a target, you do the following:

Make the attack roll.
Target makes a Reflex Defense roll with a +10 bonus. If the target is holding the weapon with two hands, you receive a -5 penalty to your attack roll.

In the REUP, there's a rule for disarming the target, but this applies to martial arts. I'm more interested in using a melee weapon or a lightsaber to disarm the target of a ranged or melee weapon. Do the same rules apply or no? If not, it seems simple to convert the Saga rule to d6 - your attack roll vs. the target dodge roll. But what about the bonus and penalty? Do they apply? I'm inclined to say yes for the penalty if the target is wielding the weapon with two hands, but I don't know about the bonus? And if the bonus and penalty do apply, what amount? The +10/-5, or do we use a d6 die code in their place.

One last thing I just thought of. What about cases where a weapon is being wielded by more than two hands, like a Besalisk wielding a weapon with three or four hands? I'd think the penalty would be much higher in this case, or can this really happen? Can a Besalisk or similarly multiarmed character wield a weapon with more than two hands? For bracing yourself to parry an attack, I think I can see that. Attacking? I think in this case, the extra arm(s) might be a hindrance.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a gaming theory perspective, IMO, there should be a general rule allowing anyone to attempt this, but at high Difficulty (+10 modifier seems reasonable). Specialized training would then provide off-setting bonuses (+2D-3D) to offset.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably you're okay with a -5 to the player's attempt at disarming an opponent who's wielding a weapon with two hands. So using those numbers would be okay, then. No point in making a d6 conversion.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall some rules for disarming in OpenD6, I'll see if I can find the time today to dig them up.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
Presumably you're okay with a -5 to the player's attempt at disarming an opponent who's wielding a weapon with two hands. So using those numbers would be okay, then. No point in making a d6 conversion.

Not ideal. D6 is based on a contest between a character’s skill level vs the difficulty of the intended task. IMO, it’s be more appropriate to modify the base Brawling / Melee Combat Difficulty by +5 or +10.

Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Forceally wrote:

Not ideal. D6 is based on a contest between a character’s skill level vs the difficulty of the intended task. IMO, it’s be more appropriate to modify the base Brawling / Melee Combat Difficulty by +5 or +10.

Wait a minute. My character makes a lightsaber roll to knock the target's vibrosword out of the hands. Target gets a +10 bonus to his dodge for the purpose of making certain he keeps the vibroblade in his hands. Target is holding the vibroblade with both hands. So instead of my attack roll getting a -5 penalty because of this, the difficulty to knock the vibroblade out of the target's hand goes up +5? Then what's the point of the +10 to the dodge? In this case, I say it's one or the other, not both.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, if i go for a disarm its literally disarming them. CHOPPING THE ARM Off!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a +10 to Dodge; a +10 to the base Difficulty of Melee/Brawling for the specific action of Disarm. The defender can then either substitute their own Parry roll (normal reaction) or stack it (full reaction). Obviously some form of modifier should be applicable to the defender’s Parry; +10 works, but if you prefer a D code, then something in the +2D range works.

Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Not a +10 to Dodge; a +10 to the base Difficulty of Melee/Brawling for the specific action of Disarm. The defender can then either substitute their own Parry roll (normal reaction) or stack it (full reaction). Obviously some form of modifier should be applicable to the defender’s Parry; +10 works, but if you prefer a D code, then something in the +2D range works.

So to disarm the target, my character must make a lightsaber roll against a Difficulty of Moderate +10, right?

The target can make a melee parry roll against my character's roll to keep ahold of the weapon. If the character is wielding the weapon with both hands, he receives a +5 bonus to the roll?

What about a blaster weapon? The target can't melee parry with a blaster weapon. So would dodge be enough to avoid having the blaster knocked out of the hands?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At that point, you get into the Called Shot rules for hitting targets smaller than Character-Scale.

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Forceally wrote:

Wait a minute. My character makes a lightsaber roll to knock the target's vibrosword out of the hands. Target gets a +10 bonus to his dodge for the purpose of making certain he keeps the vibroblade in his hands. Target is holding the vibroblade with both hands. So instead of my attack roll getting a -5 penalty because of this, the difficulty to knock the vibroblade out of the target's hand goes up +5? Then what's the point of the +10 to the dodge? In this case, I say it's one or the other, not both.

Lightsabers get a situational modifier when attacking someone with a vibroblade which would offset the penalty a bit.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For me, if i go for a disarm its literally disarming them. CHOPPING THE ARM Off!

Disarm. I LOLed.

Seriously, the lightsaber rules seem geared toward cutting through a non-lightsaber weapon/item being used to melee parry the lightsaber, not disarming an opponent. We do need rules for this.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

That's the Wookie definition for "disarm".

Wookie + lightsaber = OVERKILL!!!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
At that point, you get into the Called Shot rules for hitting targets smaller than Character-Scale.

Shouldn't that be the case with disarming anyway? That you have the called shot rules, in play..
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Disarm. I LOLed.

Seriously, the lightsaber rules seem geared toward cutting through a non-lightsaber weapon/item being used to melee parry the lightsaber, not disarming an opponent. We do need rules for this.

I'm focusing on lightsabers because I'm trying to convert the Lightsaber Form powers from JATM to d6 for my Force Compendium work. One of the powers is disarming slash, and as the name suggests you can disarm your opponent with the power. That led me back to the Saga sourcebook to see the rules for disarming an opponent, hence the +10 bonus to Reflex.

Last edited by Forceally on Mon May 03, 2021 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: