The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Reimagining Star Wars in a grander scale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> Reimagining Star Wars in a grander scale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamz
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Reimagining Star Wars in a grander scale Reply with quote

Now that I am tinkering with the rules for different spaceships I noticed this aspect in which Star Wars differs from other space opera franchises. At least in the EU intergalactic races are able to attack the GFFA and pose a threat. There are also cthulhu-mythos-like powers from forgotten early times that may return. It was suggested the hyperspacebarrier around the GFFA was installed to defend the GFFA from powers that were cast out. And there are many super powerful technologies – like centerpoint station – and species that are or were powerful and perhaps could access or redevelop parts of their old technologies some time in the future. There are also other dimensions like otherspace, which are not made accessible yet. Especially otherspace is presented as a realm of evil.
While these points are sci-fi-staples, some of these aspects may diminish the impression of size and complexity of the GFFA.
I don't know if any of you tried about playing in a variant of the star wars setting. It doesn't have to contradict what we see on the screen (not much more than this contradicts itself anyway). And I understand that star wars lends itself to such what-if-thoughts, we have Star Wars Infininities, Star Wars Visions, and even in published media we have stories of time travel and potentially different versions of reality (ironically sometimes because of the aforementioned powerful entities).
And as an alternative you still might change the setting in a rpg-campaign, I mean this is one result of having stories of heroes of (inter)galactic scale.

But what do you think about integrating many of the exotic parts of star wars into the common society of the GFFA? What if Otherspace was accessible and daredevil spacers regularly enter it through the hellhoop in the Attahox-system and trade with some of the gentler inhabitants otherspaces? What if Rotgut-Stations Mongdoolians provide outsiders from Wild Space, Unknown Regions and Satellite Galaxies with astrogation data to return back in no time for a share of their profits. We would have some, very few, intergalactic hubs, neutral and not controllable by the empire.
Now the outsider species might not give away their secrets, and the Empire would certainly try to establish contact first and at least propose treaty to consolidate its rule over the GFFA. Maybe the alliance tries to acquire defensive technology from them, to move, hide or defend planets or better control hyperlanes to them. But I don't think of them as galactic threats. There are just too many of these civilisations and like with the hutts nobody knows their true power. So we have a stalemate. The empire with its rule is an exception and solely because it is the successor of the old republic. To those factions it may even appear as the same entity and the conflicts of the movies as internal civil wars.
As a rpg-campaign this might be a development after scenarios like DarkStryder, Otherspace and Iskalloni factor.

Would this still be Star Wars for you, would it change too much of it, would you see it as a logical development in the GFFA? Or do you think this would feel too unrealistic and fantastic?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it gets Star Wars a bit too far removed from what we all know and love about it.

So for something like the MCU, or even Star Trek, I'm cool with intergalactic threats, cosmic entities, other dimensions and realities. But for SW I don't prefer mixing in Elder God-like monstrosities or time travel or elements like that.

I'd be cool with them as a one-off, say for a con game or the like. But I wouldn't prefer it for my regular game.
jamz
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a disconnection between what we saw (and still see) on the screen, and what we see in computer games and have in the extended universe and in weg d6 contents, e.g. in otherspace and darkstryder.
These dimensions, entities and galactic threats are there – but not in the movies. There we have the stories of the Skywalkers, and lately the palpatine family, too. Overall basically the war between dark side of the force and the light side.

So, I really like these exotic things, but I dislike regularly seeing the galaxy in danger. So I thought, maybe it helps accepting these exotic sides and taking them seriously, not as gimmicks for single adventures and then to forget them later. but instead to let the galaxy grow with them to a point, that it is clear, that the galaxy of star wars is so big and mysterious, there couldn't be a regular monster-of-the-week-style threat to the galactic order.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: