The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Compendium Nightsisters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Force Compendium Nightsisters Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I wonder. IF playing in a rise of the empire time frame, how a player would justify even knowing about them, since the planet was interdicted for quite a while, and knowledge of them didn't really get out till after the courtship of leia time frame..

First off, are you talking Canon timeframe or Legends timeframe? I'm assuming you're talking Legends timeframe because of the COPL mention. Well, Yoda led a mission to retrieve the Chu'unthor which had crash-landed on Dathomir 400 years before the events of that novel. But that takes place before the prequels.

Also in COPL, it's mentioned that Palpatine interdicted Dathomir because he feared the combined power of the Nightsisters. One-on-one, he was more powerful than even Gethzerion. But had the Nightsisters combined their powers... So he knew, and most likely the Sith Order knew about them.

In The Last Jedi, the final book of the Coruscant Night 4-book series, Jax Pavan went there. Don't recall why though. I think he came across a Sith holocron that was on Dathomir and learned from it. I included the powers he learned from it in my work, none of which are dark side powers, and only one of them has the potential to be abused greatly, just as flow-walking has great potential to be abused. So I think that there's a small window of opportunity for your characters here. While it's not as well known as Tatooine, Geonosis, or Coruscant, Dathomir might be known to a few handful of individuals in the galaxy during the prequels and perhaps immediately beforehand. Once Palpatine learned about them and became Emperor, he interdicted the planet, so Dathomir became what I would call a "lost world". Akin to how Dagobah wasn't known to the galaxy and how Kamino wasn't known until Obi-Wan went in search for it during AOTC. So after Order 66 and ROTS, your characters would have had a small timeframe during which they could visit Dathomir before the interdiction. BTW, Coruscant Nights may have been a trilogy officially, but considering how the main characters of the trilogy appeared in The Last Jedi and how closely afterwards the novel took place after the Coruscant Nights III, I consider Coruscant Nights to be a tetrology, or whatever the term is to describe a four-book or four-movie series.

BTW, the powers in the Nightsiters section came from what I read in Book of Sith. So they're known by and are available to Mother Talzin and her Nightsisters. Canon Nightsisters, so as to speak. Gethzerion, Tamith Kai, Vilas, Welk, and the Nightsisters associated with them appeared in COPL, first arc of the Young Jedi Knight series, the NJO, Dark Nest Trilogy, and LOTF. They are Legends Nightsisters. The spells listed in CTD are available to them; however, none of them ever displayed the powers I created in that section, with the only exception being blood trail. So the Nightsister powers I created aren't explicitly forbidden to the Legends Nightsisters with the one exception, you should keep the distinction between the Canon and Legend Nightsisters in mind before deciding what powers and spells a Nightsister might know.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I wonder. IF playing in a rise of the empire time frame, how a player would justify even knowing about them, since the planet was interdicted for quite a while, and knowledge of them didn't really get out till after the courtship of leia time frame..

TCW changed that. Darth Maul is from that planet, and his mother was a major villain in the series (he had brothers too). In the canon rise of the Empire era, Crimson Dawn, one of the few major crime syndicates of the galaxy, seems to have been based on Dathomir. So in conclusion, it doesn't make any sense.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am basing my thought on legends, as i don't do the cartoons..
Whill

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I am basing my thought on legends, as i don't do the cartoons..

Sure. This game is technically "Legends" but some campaigns may include Canon continuity. I assume the Canon night sisters would hold most of the appeal for any GMs using their magic system in the game. Above, shootingwomprats mentioned statting out Mother Talzin, who is from TCW (which is Canon, not Legends). My personal canon (which my campaigns are based on) takes and rejects aspects of both canons. For me, the Force working as magic is off the table, regardless of the source. But that is just me.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I watched 312 "Nightsisters", 313 "Monster" and 214 "Witches of the Mist". To be honest it really didn't tell me much about the Nightsisters. No idea what powers Mother Talzin would have. Not sure what powers if any Nightsisters have. Frustrating.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats Have you watched 419 "Massacre"? That episode has some more Nightsister action and powers.

There is an episode in season 6 too...but I don't want to spoil it if you haven't watched those episodes.

In the Clone Wars though, only Mother Talzin and One Other appear to have Powers (not including Ventress) amongst the Nightsisters,
which is a big change from the EU versions.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe D6 Fantasy in the Library, or D6 Magic could help with statting out Dathomiran magic. I don't know.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: