The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Bad Batch [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Bad Batch [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: The Bad Batch [Spoilers Allowed] Reply with quote

This is the new thread dedicated to The Bad Batch series on Disney+. Spoilers are allowed here at any time. Outside of this thread, please see the new Rancor Pit Spoiler Policy. Thank you.

Jump ahead to Season 2 discussion (spoiler alert).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Tue May 09, 2023 11:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
Whill

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son wanted to go ahead and start Bad Batch so we did. I was not expecting that long of an episode! I tried really hard to ignore my same-old, same-old issues with the awful giant-eye animation.

There were some good things. That guy who voices all the clones is a vocal genius! It was an overall decent story. I really liked the girl clone - She's a good addition to really mix-up the group. It now has potential for a lot more stories possibilities than without her. And Kaminoans should have no trouble intentionally bioengineering a female clone of Jango Fett - Just duplicate the X chromosome for starters. I have no idea how that would be a random mutation though. Maybe she isn't random. Maybe she was intentional for some as-yet revealed purpose. She is young and her name was Omega. But not the last clone - They showed babies still being grown. I always envisioned female clones (but not of Fett) since reading the 70s source that said stormtroopers were clones (just not all of the same host), and that they had all the liquor and women they wanted when off duty.

Unfortunately the best way to enjoy the episode is to not think about the basic premise. Clone Unit 99 had advantageous mutations so they were allowed to serve the Republic, but the whole war was a sham and the real purpose of the clone army was not to defeat the Separatist movement, but instead to kill the Jedi to allow for the rise of the Sith-ruled Empire. TCW already extremely violated film canon by having the Jedi find out about the biochips that suppress the clones from questioning of orders. It really makes no sense why the Bad Batch were not recalled after that to check their biochips and terminate the defective ones.

There were several attempted ties to the rest of the franchise. +1 kudos for using the actual Palpatine vocal track from his Senate address in which he declared the Empire. While it is a nice idea to use the main antagonist of ANH, Tarkin just seemed out of place. Evaluating clones seems beneath him even at that stage. Saw Gerrera is a nice touch, voiced by his TCW actor, but still. Including Kanan's Order 66 was a nice touch for Rebels fans (but as my wife pointed out, Freddie Prinze Jr. voice, which was perfect for Rebels Kanan, was all wrong for teen padawan Kanan). I used to have the canon comic book of Kanan's Order 66, and this show contradicted that more than just the inclusion of Bad Batch. It's almost like the whole canon policy of 'everything is equally canon' is just a lie or something (joke, this has long ago been demonstrated).

Tarkin gave the official canon explanation for why recruiting will replace cloning - cloning is more expensive. OK, I can buy that. When the Kaminoan countered with clones being more skilled, Tarkin had nothing. Tarkin said clones were being tested for effectiveness, which must be pure BS because recruits are not more effective than clones. All the members of a clone unit are essentially the same being which would improve effectiveness, if it is the right being. It is only logical that Jango Fett would have been chosen in the first place to provide the basis for that being, so I just do not see recruiting to make more efficient soldier units than cloning. But it is true that the main purpose of the clones was to kill the Jedi, so stormtroopers being clones would not be as important in an Empire with no Jedi.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Barbarossa41
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the first two episodes.

MIND. BLOWN.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved the following here because we have a dedicated thread for Bad Batch now. Using the TCW season 7 thread for Bad Bad was just for speculation of Bad Batch before the spoiler policy was updated. TCW season 7 no longer has any spoiler requirements.

Mamatried wrote:
When the bad batch returened to Kamino, we saw a dead jedi being carried into some facility, obviouly a link to the canon cloning suff, so interesting, however who was this, was it a known jedi or just some random one.

Now while I would think they would show most known jedi's death on screen, that is part of the story that is, I also think think this jedi is someone important.

when they watched the strecher bein carried, the jedi'd hand slipped out and the lightsaber fell to the floor.
it was zoomed in on the likghtsaber and we could see the (top) emitter havin a yellow color.
because how it was zoomed in on I am thinking this is either a known jedi using such a "reconizable" lightsaber or that this jedi is being revived and becomes one of the first inquisitiors....though the latter is a bit too far out, I am thinking it can be a jedi that maybe is "named" somehwere, since the focus on the ligh saber as it fell to the floor.

so do we know anyone with a yellow emitter (top ot lightsber)?

I just thought that the zooming in on the lightsaber was to emphasize that it was a Jedi's body.

Barbarossa41 wrote:
Just watched the first two episodes.

MIND. BLOWN.

In a good way? Please elaborate. Others may agree.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caleb's voice in the first episode is jarringly adult.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kinda wild to me how much of a linch-pin Saw Gerrera has become in the Clone Wars/pre-ANH continuity.
Barbarossa41
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a good way. Good enough to make me very, very excited for the other 14
Whill

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: PLEASE DISCUSS BAD BATCH IN THE BAD BATCH THREAD Reply with quote

I copied the following posts from the TCW s7 thread and deleted them there. The initial post below wasn't too spoilery (We've known since 2005 that Order 66 generated tons of Jedi bodies all over the galaxy), but it went into speculation for the future of Bad Batch based on currently spoiler-restricted episodes. I didn't notice which thread that was on and my reply to that went a more spoilery route. I had assumed Bad Batch discussion would be in the Bad Batch thread (I should have paid more attention and not assumed).

There is no need to talk about Bad Batch in the TCW s7 thread anymore. We have this dedicated thread which has no spoiler restrictions. Please talk about Bad Batch here. Thank you.

Mamatried wrote:
The mysterious dead jedi on Kamino.

I just came to think about that it could be Luminara Unduli

My reasoning is that while it is another easter egg to rebels, it also fit in with how she was used in dead to lure jedi, not only Kanan.

It has been speculated with good reason that the force will play a role in the bad batch in some way, and if they help some jedi escape, or in anyway become involved with one, it can very well be becuse of
Luminara Unduli being used as a trap to lure said jedi.

in fact the canon wookiepedia does without being spesific indicate that
Luminara Unduli in a span of 14 years (up 5bby rebels) had been used in such capacity.

MrNexx wrote:
Whill wrote:
There are plenty of Jedi bodies laying around after Order 66 so it could be any Jedi who we know wasn't somewhere else at that time. It could be just an Easter Egg and not significant who.

If the Force was hinted at as relevant to Bad Batch, my guess is that Omega will turn out to be the only Force-sensitive clone.

Haven't seen episode 2, yet, but my suspicion is that she's a female version of the standard clones... either doubling Jango's X, or using one from a "donor"

Like I mentioned in an above post, doubling Jango's X chromosome and making any needed tweaks should be easy for genetic engineers.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Mandalorian introduced Chain Codes, and they were backported into the Early Empire by the Bad Batch.

How many people are including them in their games?
Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
So, Mandalorian introduced Chain Codes, and they were backported into the Early Empire by the Bad Batch.

How many people are including them in their games?

Actually The Mandalorian retconned them to before the Clone Wars, because Boba Fett showed Mando his father's chain code which was attached to his armor, to prove to Mando that Boba was the "son" of a Foundling.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was interesting in the first episode that the medical droid was incapacitated by a blaster set to stun. It's something I've considered in the past but hadn't incorporated as my game is still on hold (also my players rarely shoot to disable).

The show's tone is a bit jarring. The inclusion of the child, Omega, seems as though the show is geared toward kids, like Resistance was, but the brutal execution of Saw's people in episode three - especially with a flamethrower! - was quite dark. Great scene, though. Crosshair makes a good villain...so far.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
I thought it was interesting in the first episode that the medical droid was incapacitated by a blaster set to stun. It's something I've considered in the past but hadn't incorporated as my game is still on hold (also my players rarely shoot to disable).

The show's tone is a bit jarring. The inclusion of the child, Omega, seems as though the show is geared toward kids, like Resistance was, but the brutal execution of Saw's people in episode three - especially with a flamethrower! - was quite dark. Great scene, though. Crosshair makes a good villain...so far.

would then a vice versa work as well, meaning using ion guns on orgnics.
what I can think of is is a stud -2D danage to droids.
and ion damage -2D to organics.
that way stun works best on organics and ion works best on electronics and droids.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having seen ep 3, I noticed a few things, one was not instantly going evil for the sake of evil empire.
There is and was a transitions, and it also appears that it was the empire and the empire under the tarkin doctrine, meaning tarking with the blessings of the old man, is running his own things sort of, not just in regards to the death star.

we also see what I suspectwill become the first part of the death troopers, we have seen and we do see genetic manipularion and bio engineering, even as surgery as to the case of crosshair.

on the last note, crosshair, I suspect the series ending arc will include a redemption of crosshair, him returning to the batch
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:

I haven't seen episode 3, yet (maybe tonight), but I don't know that the inclusion of Omega makes it for kids, partially because of the tone they're taking, which was really evident in episode 2: Omega isn't the Kid Protagonist (as with Rebels and especially, I'd argue, with Resistance), she's the kid who is part of the ensemble and, arguably, part of the character development of Hunter, the main protagonist1. The focus isn't on her antics as the problem-solver, but on Hunter's lack of preparation for fatherhood of an earnest, naive, but intelligent and precocious child.

In Rebels, Ezra was very much the early protagonist... we get a lot of indications that he is the known (by the audience) individual coming into the (unknown to the audience) group, and his appearance as the first character we really follow gives us early identification with him. Conversely, Omega is the unknown individual coming into the known group... we know the group, while Omega remains a mystery. If she were the focus, the Kid Protagonist, we'd know her, but the Bad Batch would be somewhat enigmatic at first.2

I'm not saying that the show isn't relatively child-friendly... the violence is bloodless, there's no contemporary cursing, there's no nudity. This is definitely more accessible to children (and comfortable for parents) than the Mandalorian, but I wouldn't call it "for kids".

1 I argue that Hunter is the main protagonist because he's presented in the most "normal" fashion. Tech and Wrecker are extremely focused, very tropey characters. Echo doesn't seem to be given much to do, yet. Hunter is highly capable, but he's also the one having an emotional arc about fatherhood.

2 Mandalorian throws ALL OF THIS on its head, because we start out knowing nothing about Din OR Grogu... but that's part of why it's a more adult show, despite having a similar theme of "warrior unprepared for fatherhood"
Whill

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:

When I created Star Wars Damage in December, I decided that blaster stun damage only works on organics, so a droid is immune to stun blasts. Since Shards are non-organic life, I have ion damage affecting Shards inside droids the same as the ion damage effect for the droid. Stun blasts have no effect on droids or Shards. If a droid body harboring a Shard suffers normal damage that knocks it offline, then the Shard is unaffected but their senses and communication are limited to the electromagnetic consciousness of their natural state and they have no control over their droid body until it regains consciousness.

If stun blasts can affect droids, then what would be the point of Jawas having ion guns? They way I see it, stun blasts and ion weapons have to be different.

Mamatried wrote:
would then a vice versa work as well, meaning using ion guns on orgnics.
what I can think of is is a stud -2D danage to droids.
and ion damage -2D to organics.
that way stun works best on organics and ion works best on electronics and droids.

That makes more sense than them being interchangeable.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: