The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Bad Batch [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Bad Batch [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Anyway, none of that mystery is as important as the bombshell that they dropped in the latest episode:

Quote:
TECH: I further analyzed Omega's genetic profile and discovered she has pure, first-generation DNA. All clones were created from a host named Jango Fett. While our genetic structure was modified for growth acceleration and obedience, Omega is a pure genetic replication.

If Omega and Boba are pure unmodified genetic replications of Jango Fett, then all three of them must have the same biological sex. Are they all genetically female?

I cannot remember where I was discussing this (likely Dragonsfoot), but I've wondered the same thing. There's a few other ways they could have produced someone with female sex organs without altering the genetics (androgyn blockers, for example), but it's part of why I view the "clonal line from Jango's sister" theory as having some legs.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Whill wrote:
Anyway, none of that mystery is as important as the bombshell that they dropped in the latest episode:

Quote:
TECH: I further analyzed Omega's genetic profile and discovered she has pure, first-generation DNA. All clones were created from a host named Jango Fett. While our genetic structure was modified for growth acceleration and obedience, Omega is a pure genetic replication.

If Omega and Boba are pure unmodified genetic replications of Jango Fett, then all three of them must have the same biological sex. Are they all genetically female?

I cannot remember where I was discussing this (likely Dragonsfoot), but I've wondered the same thing. There's a few other ways they could have produced someone with female sex organs without altering the genetics (androgyn blockers, for example), but it's part of why I view the "clonal line from Jango's sister" theory as having some legs.

I caught part of a YouTube video that mentioned the possibility that Jango Fett is genetically intersex/androgynous, and of course has undergone some process to manifest as male, which of course was also applied to Boba. Omega, apparently being a prepubescent 13 years-old, seems fairly androgynous, other than having a female actor provide her voice and a character gender identity as female. To me, an interesting implication to this is that somehow Jango Fett's genetic androgyny is a factor in him being the ideal clone host. That would seem to indicate that also cloning females from Jango was important.

What's mind boggling to me is there isn't much, if any, outrage among some fans about this. I'm not saying there should be and I don't want to see it here, but my fandom sensors are not picking up any significant negative reactions to this shocking revelation. Do they just not know what "pure genetic replication" means?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Do they just not know what "pure genetic replication" means?

What they had in mind:
Quote:
While our genetic structure was modified for growth acceleration and obedience, Omega is a pure genetic replication.

Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Whill wrote:
Do they just not know what "pure genetic replication" means?

What they had in mind:
Quote:
While our genetic structure was modified for growth acceleration and obedience, Omega is a pure genetic replication.

I think by this you mean to say that the "pure genetic replication" is only meant to be in reference to there being no modifications for growth acceleration or obedience. Meaning there are still modifications for biological sex?

Maybe they did mean that, but if so that is super sloppy dialogue. In the full quote (below), he actually uses the word "pure" twice. So, do the writers of TBB know what the word "pure" means? "Pure genetic replication" actually means the same sex, period. They are either correct or erroneous in what they said. If they were correct, that means Jango and Omega (and the "Alpha" Boba) are genetically the same sex.

Quote:

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Omega is Transgendered?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Maybe Omega is Transgendered?

Could be.
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is the case then it's a hell of a way to backdoor it in and shows that either Fillioni or some one else has enough sway at disney to slap their S&P people into submission rather then the other way around.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't care. I think that anyone is welcome to have cool characters to inspire them to do greatness.
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh i certainly wasn't complaining about it, just that usually i thought that was something the S&P people would get up in arms about.....not that S&P seems to be involved much at all given the whole Elite Squad executeing civilians bit early in the season.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:00 pm    Post subject: TBB Season 2 trailer Reply with quote

The Bad Batch - Season 2 trailer
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TBB Season 2 trailer Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Hot damn, that looks awesome. Can't wait.
CommanderFocs
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TBB Season 2 trailer Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:

Hot damn, that looks awesome. Can't wait.

Agreed, I am very excited for season 2. I saw some Republic gunships, which I personally am a fan of. It made me really happy to see a Wookie Jedi at 44 seconds. I think we will see more of Omega being part of squad, which has some good potential. Overall, an exciting trailer. I can't wait for season 2!
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Bad Batch [SPOILERS ALLOWED] Reply with quote

I know people are watching TBB s2, but no one here is talking about it yet. I'm not caught up, but I just finished watching Episode 8, the senate one...

Since s1, something that never made sense to me was how TBB had the Empire so quick to do away with cloning. There is no slow phasing out of the accelerated-aging clones while taking the time to build up a more traditional force to supplant them. Manufactured soldiers with programmed loyalty would seem ideal for the new Empire, but within a year of Order 66 Kamino is destroyed and everything is being done to rapidly change to non-clone stormtroopers.

RotS portrayed clone loyalty to their programming as absolute. Commander Cody, who considered Kenobi a friend, showed no qualms about betraying him to Order 66, even though it was issued by some melty-face man in a cloak who slightly resembled Chancellor Palpatine. Clones had blind faith in Order 66 being necessary once issued. It was key to the grand scheme of executing the revenge of the Sith. The only possible way for the Sith to rule the galaxy in a tyrannical empire was to destroy the Jedi. TCW and even the beginning of TBB portrayed exceptions to immediate unswerving loyalty in clones to be extremely rare. Except for Crosshair, the entire Batch's loyalty to Palpatine was even shown as only delayed, so that they could dramatically get their inhibitor biochips out just before they succumbed to them.

But it has been becoming more apparent that the suggestion is actually the reverse, in the slightly longer term. The chip is faltering so more and more clones are waking up to the reality than they were duped to betray the Jedi, so it seems. So the Empire is destroying clones, and Palpatine manipulated the Senate into voting against clone rights to make it easier.

The concept of the Order 66-level loyalty in clones being so short term bothers me. Since the Emperor's power is not absolute and the Senate still has some power, it would seem to me that he would need blindly loyal stormtroopers to commit all the atrocities needed to suppress freedom in a tyrannical empire. Another way to create blindly loyal stormtroopers would be to brainwash them from early childhood, but it would take time to raise them. Clones would seem to be necessary for a while.

It is film canon that they did not stop making clones after the initial batches 10-9 years prior to AotC. Something the entire franchise seems to be forgetting are the infant clones shown in AotC and the dialogue about their being a lot more clones on the way. At the start of the Empire there would be clones of all various stages of development, including small children that could still be brainwashed by the Empire, so faltering biochips wouldn't matter. So far, the only clones shown in the Disney franchise were all ones that were already biological adults who fought in the Clone War, except for Boba and Omega, who are actually two of the oldest clones.

By the time of Order 66, there would actually be more clones that still weren't yet old enough to fight in the Clone War than the oldest ones who had. I guess, according to Disney, all the child clones were massacred off screen when Kamino was destroyed. Vader must be very jealous!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Whill, I have some thoughts and ideas on this and wanted to respond sooner, but I am having trouble collecting my thoughts of late and putting them into coherent passages. Also, with the Cartoon series from SW I watch them in a much more casual manner than the movies, and try to account for the fact they are generally aimed at younger audiences and so will have some things "kidified".

In regard to clone ages and appearances, I never actually watched Attack of the Clones in it's entirety and did not like what I did see of it story wise... I had always assumed Bobba Fett was of younger age because that was how Jango Fett wanted the clone, to raise as a son (at least that is what some of the friends I had who saw the film led me to believe). If their were scenes of infant and child clones, then I understand your points.
I do not remember the exact episodes or sequences, but several times in The Clone Wars when they returned to Kamino for episodes I do not recall seeing child clones at all. I may be misremembering, but the youngest I recall seeing looked to me as of High School graduation age going through the final test to see if they were viable. I am fairly certain I recall at least once when one of the Kaminoans was speaking about improving the cloning process since the early batches to produced "Fully Mature combat ready clones" much faster and with less chance of failure. Without knowing the exact episode I would have to track down and rewatch all seven seasons...so not in a hurry to find it. So from what I understand Disney has retconned out the existance of Child Clones except Bobba and Omega it seems (I could speculate to why...but might get close to rules about discussions not allowed in forums). I would guess that showing children created and bread just for war in numbers might be too close to a number of topics and issues that Disney is uncomfortable with and/or afraid might draw criticism they would rather not have to engage.

Regarding Omega - as was established, the entire "Bad Batch" were experimental clones who had undergone genetic tampering. I do not recall her being in the crossover episode of The Clone Wars that introduced Squad 99, nor was she a part of Hunter's unit really. Again, I could be mistaken or mis-remembering. The first time I remember her being introduced as a character was Bad Batch Season 1 episode 1. I had gotten the impression when she was introduced, she, too, was part of ongoing experiments, and had been engineered and created at the age she appears intentionally. I never thought they established well enough in the story why she was drawn to Clone Force 99, or why they felt they needed to go rescue her from Kamino having only met her twice and having no real emotional ties.

Even if I am correctly remembering an the clones were being "hatched" near maturity - you are still correct that not all would be aging out at the same time. Given the length of the Clone wars, and that multiple batches were produced over a period of years, the empire would still have a surplus of clones for a number of years. As to why this was not handled and addressed better I could only speculate, but perhaps they wanted to focus the story on the fact that with the current batch again out and being regarded more or less as property, and their lack of rights, as well as the lack of a plan to handle or tend to these clones aging out their were serious ramifications involved in the aftermath of creating this subservient army of clones. I feel I could say this better, but the words escape me right now. It is also possible that these issues of multiple batches aging out at different rates were "nuances" that the writers felt would either detract from focus, lessen the significance of the impact they were trying to demonstrate, or simply be lost on younger audiences. As it is some of these episodes are more politics heavy than traditional programs aimed at younger audiances, and risk losing the attention of the kids.

The issues with the biochips, as well as these issues with Clone Rights and clones being property, were addressed in many episodes of Season 6 of the Clone Wars. A lot of this is building and elaborating on material established there. It actually makes me think of an old Sci-Fi novel I read, Headlong into the Void by Frank Herbert (yes, that Frank Herbert) - early on in that book as a minor note to establish a little context was the mention of a ruling establishing all clones as property of their creator and not independent, living, sentient beings. Just reading that line back then made me shudder at the ramifications of it...and the story ark here in this part of the SW franchise makes me wonder of the writers are familiar with that work.
fogger1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting discussion on doing away with the clones that has crystallized some thoughts of mine. I hope they address the change in clone behavior going forward.

KageRyu wrote:
So from what I understand Disney has retconned out the existance of Child Clones except Bobba and Omega it seems

They show them in the background of the pilot episode of the Bad Batch as well as in at least two others in the first season ("Reunion" and "War-Mantle", both in scenes set at Tipoca City), so I don't think it's likely that Disney has retconned them out.

(They also show up here and there in various episodes of the Clone Wars, both before and after Disney took over.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: