The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Pulse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Force Pulse Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Force Pulse Reply with quote

Is there mechanics for Force Pulse? It appears in TCW 313 "Witches in the Mist" at approximately 1:10.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None that I’m aware of. My first thought would be to treat it like TK, but using Grenade rules for the “blast radius” effect.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a D6 Force power like this, if I remember right it was sort of Force Push but in all directions.
I don't think it was called Force Pulse though. I'll look and see if I can find it.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is Repulse.
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
I believe it is Repulse.

I think you might be right Forceally
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
I believe it is Repulse.

Repulse? I couldn't find a power by that name in the Force Compendium.

Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Repulse? I couldn't find a power by that name in the Force Compendium.

Not sure what the source was for the power, but here it is;

Repulse
Alter Difficulty: Opposed Strength or control roll
Required powers: Telekinesis, Force Push
Warning: A Jedi who uses this power to harm a sentient being gains an immediate Dark Side Point.
Effect: A Jedi will choose to use this power when surrounded by opponents in close quarters. He or
she may create a temporary bubble with the Force that pushes everyone (and everything) back two
meters in every direction. All characters surrounding the Jedi may make an opposed Strength or control
roll. If the opponent succeeds, then the character remains unmoved. If the Strength (or control) roll
should fail, then the character is forcefully pushed two meters. Furthermore, the opposing character
is moved an additional meter for every five points higher that the Jedi rolls.
The opposing characters may be slammed into any nearby solid objects, dealing an immediate 3D
damage. However, this earns the Jedi an immediate Dark Side Point.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
Repulse
Alter Difficulty: Opposed Strength or control roll
Required powers: Telekinesis, Force Push
Warning: A Jedi who uses this power to harm a sentient being gains an immediate Dark Side Point.
Effect: A Jedi will choose to use this power when surrounded by opponents in close quarters. He or
she may create a temporary bubble with the Force that pushes everyone (and everything) back two
meters in every direction. All characters surrounding the Jedi may make an opposed Strength or control
roll. If the opponent succeeds, then the character remains unmoved. If the Strength (or control) roll
should fail, then the character is forcefully pushed two meters. Furthermore, the opposing character
is moved an additional meter for every five points higher that the Jedi rolls.
The opposing characters may be slammed into any nearby solid objects, dealing an immediate 3D
damage. However, this earns the Jedi an immediate Dark Side Point.

This looks very close, but in the scene the droids take damage as from Force Push, so it seems to be an integration of that skill and the one you posted. When I am not as tired and not doing Mother's Day stuff, I will circle back to this.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's in one of the d6 conversions of the Saga sourcebooks from WotC. Perhaps The Force Unleashed conversion?
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
I think it's in one of the d6 conversions of the Saga sourcebooks from WotC. Perhaps The Force Unleashed conversion?

I just looked, you are right Forceally, it is from The Force Unleashed D6 conversion
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading repulse and Force push. Something I had not realized before, to deal damage, the target must collide with something. This is not how we see it operate in the movies nor the cartoon. So I wonder, do we just handwave this? Seeing as that is something I have not even used in my games, I would vote yes. I would also advocate changing the rule to reflect this.

Also, Force push allows you to target more than one opponent at a +1D penalty for each additional target beyond the first. In the scene with Savage, he destroys 16 battle droids and knocks Obi-Wan and Anakin to the ground long enough to escape. Granted, Savage probably either spent a Force Point or more than likely called upon the Dark Side to give him a Force Point to bump his power for the use of the power.

Force push appears to be target specific, whereas repulse is not, but it does no damage unless a collision takes place. If a collision takes place its only 3D. I suggest that the collision component be removed from both powers and in the case of repulse, we use the damage chart from Force push.

With both powers I believe it Alter resisted by Strength or Control.

Another odd thing I remember now that I think about it. Specifically the use of Force push. In the episode TCW 318 "The Citadel", Obi-Wan and Ahsoka use Force push against BX commando droids who take no damage and do not go flying because they have magnetized their feet to the floor. This is odd because up until now, just using Force push caused damage to droids, but now it does not. So confusing.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two different powers, perhaps? One that deals either less damage, or Stun Damage, but doesn't pick up a DSP, while the other is more "forceful" in the amount of energy delivered, but does come with a DSP.

Personally, I'd just make it a "grey area" power using my Willpower rule where a Jedi can make a Willpower roll to dial back a DSP Power so that it only inflicts Stun damage.

You could also rule that, when a power sends a target flying, it's actually rolled as Movement Damage, where the result is rolled on the Movement Mishap Table.

Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats, could you perhaps make a 'Greater Repulse' style power that is more how it appears in the Clone Wars using the normal one as a base?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
shootingwomprats, could you perhaps make a 'Greater Repulse' style power that is more how it appears in the Clone Wars using the normal one as a base?

That makes sense to me.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I have so far:

Quote:
Force Pulse
Also known as Force repulse, was a telekinetic ability of the Force used in an offensive or defensive manner. The user would fire Force energy from their center like a wave, essentially creating a pulse of telekinetic energy that stunned or knocked over anyone within the radius of the attack. The technique could be used to push targets away from the user, or to pull targets towards the user. It could be used by practitioners of both the light and dark sides of the Force.

Force Pulse
Alter Difficulty: Moderate, opposed Strength or control roll
Required Powers: Telekinesis, Force push
Effect: A Jedi will choose to use this power when surrounded by opponents in close quarters. He or she may create a temporary bubble with the Force that pushes everyone back several meters in every direction. All characters surrounding the Jedi make either a control or Strength roll to resist, and the acting Jedi’s alter roll result is compared to each result in turn to determine the effects. A target that is knocked back into a wall or other solid object takes the listed damage. If a Jedi kills a living being as a result of this power he immediately receives a Dark Side Point; as such, he may roll less than his full alter score if he so chooses.

Alter Roll ≥ Difficulty By
0-5
6-10
11-15
16-20
21+

Target pushed back/Collision damage
2 meters/2D
3 meters/3D
5 meters/4D
10 meters/5D
15 meters/6D

Source: The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide (p.87), Saga D6 Conversion: The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide (p.27), modifications by Emperor Ollie

Appearances: TCW 314 "Witches of the Mist", TCW 315 "Overlords", TCW 404 "Shadow Warrior", TCW 410 "Carnage of Krell", TCW 420 "Bounty"

@swd6podcast, Twitter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: