The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

RUMOR: Brie Larson is possible Mara Jade?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> RUMOR: Brie Larson is possible Mara Jade? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She made an appearance iirc in the I-jedi novel, as well as the later Thrawn duology.. She also was in the NJO novels..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
She made an appearance iirc in the I-jedi novel, as well as the later Thrawn duology.. She also was in the NJO novels..

Those are Legends. He said canon.

itsmrwilson wrote:
I'm sure they'd have to retcon her somehow to make sense of why we don't see her in any other canon properties.

Needing to make sense and actually doing so are two different things.

Ahsoka is a retcon, a padawan of Anakin's that he never previously had because it didn't make sense for him to have one. SW Rebels killed off, then time-travel saved, Ahsoka all before ANH. Then this nobody from Tatooine suddenly rose to galactic infamy when he destroyed the Death Star, but he just so happens to have the same last name as Anakin Skywalker, a Jedi Knight who was believed to have been killed the Jedi Temple during the Jedi Insurrection. The season finale of Rebels took the timeline forward to RotJ and showed that Ahsoka had fought for the Alliance during the classic trilogy. The problem? Ahsoka had discovered that Vader was Anakin Skywalker before the classic trilogy. When she and Luke both became high ranking Rebels, why wouldn't she tell Luke about his father? It would have made more sense if Ahsoka stayed dead before she ever heard of Luke.

That's just one example. There are many things that get retroactively introduced into the SW timeline without it really making sense. Where's Grogu in the DT? Kylo Ren must have murdered him. Kylo Ren murdered everyone.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brie Larson or not, I like the concept of "mara jade"
Not the actual execution of the concept, but more the perspective of palpatine

Where Vader is a brute force, there are sometimes better ways of doing things.

I see the concept of a "mildly" force tranied (brainwahed) clandestine operative working for and directly under the old man.

other than that, I don't like the "actual" portrayal of the character, but the "role" or concept I love
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Brie Larson or not, I like the concept of "mara jade"

I see the concept of a "mildly" force tranied (brainwahed) clandestine operative working for and directly under the old man.

other than that, I don't like the "actual" portrayal of the character, but the "role" or concept I love

To an extent, isn't this the Inquisitors we see in Rebels (and related stuff that's slipping my mind right now)?
itsmrwilson
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

To an extent, isn't this the Inquisitors we see in Rebels (and related stuff that's slipping my mind right now)?

I get my timeframes mixed up, but in the recent marvel comix there's a Darth Vader series where the emperor has been training up Vader alternatives. I think that's in the timeframe in between ANH and ESB, but I'm too lazy to go and check.

But anyway there's definitely a precedent for secret Palpy side projects.

Whill wrote:
There are many things that get retroactively introduced into the SW timeline without it really making sense.

Touché.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
I like the concept of "mara jade"

Mara Jade was created by Timothy Zahn for the Thrawn Trilogy. When Luke, Han, and Leia were marginalized in the trilogy's climax, Mara Jade defeated both the clone of Luke and the evil Jedi Master. Not very "mild" but maybe her powers had somehow grown greatly in the five-six years since she had been an Emperor's Hand. Still, if Zahn's concept was for her to have been "mildly" Force trained, the concept is not very clear.

In his novel Allegiance which is set months after ANH, Mara Jade was a teenaged Emperor's Hand. She was a literal Imperial superhero who does all these amazing things including besting Vader in a duel. No "mildly" about it. So if the concept was "mildly" Force sensitive, the execution of it was utter poodu.

itsmrwilson wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

But anyway there's definitely a precedent for secret Palpy side projects.

I like the idea of Inquisitors being under Vader's purview, while Emperor's Hands are under the Emperor's direct control (obviously). So they are similar and yes, should only be mildly powerful in the Force. In the EU, they weren't that secret and had authority over moffs.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like she was the Rey of the legends era.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only experience with Mara Jade is this story about a fake geek boy.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Well, Mara Jade came first so if that was the case, it would be the other way around. But I don't really see much similarity. Rey was super powerful with no training, just because she was the daughter of a non-Force-sensitive clone of Palpatine. Mara Jade was actually trained by Palpatine.

MrNexx wrote:
My only experience with Mara Jade is this story about a fake geek boy.

Despite (and perhaps because of) Mara Jade being a thinly disguised amalgamation of Vader, Luke, Han, and Leia, she is still immensely popular among Star Wars fans. Perhaps Black Widow was a visual inspiration for Mara Jade. Skin tight black suit, red hair...

Is this being shared here ironically? You're calling that guy a "fake geek boy" because he and his friend couldn't recognize Mara Jade at a costume party, but this story is your only experience with Mara Jade? If so then wouldn't you also be a fan of the movies who would not recognize her at a party too? I don't think you're a fake geek, but are you calling yourself one by sharing this?

Also, the story is really suspect. I have a hard time believing that anyone wouldn't defend themselves and say, "I'm Mara Jade, moron." And at a whole party of Star Wars fans nerdy enough to cosplay, surely some of them there were fans of the EU so would have known and defended her. This whole story seems fake. Also, how did you even come across this story if you've never heard of Mara Jade? What would bring you to the point of reading it, and later remembering it to share it?

And I welcome your nerdy distinctiveness into our collective, but it is very rare for anyone here to not have read The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn. It is quite well known and regarded, even for fans who may not have read the other books with her. In the early 90s, the TTT was the first high quality continuation of the OT story, at a time when the PT being made was not even yet a certainty. Most fans don't even have my issue with the climax of the third TTT novel revealing a dramatic bait and switch to Mara Jade becoming the main protagonist out of nowhere. I was loving the whole trilogy until the end of third book. I think I would have enjoyed the ending of it more if I had had some warning about the ending. You may want to read it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Well, Mara Jade came first so if that was the case, it would be the other way around. But I don't really see much similarity. Rey was super powerful with no training, just because she was the daughter of a non-Force-sensitive clone of Palpatine. Mara Jade was actually trained by Palpatine..

Good point. The fact, she was trained from an early age, shows why she should have been as strong as she was, in the force... COMPARED to rey, she is in no way a mary-sue...
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
And I welcome your nerdy distinctiveness into our collective, but it is very rare for anyone here to not have read The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn. It is quite well known and regarded, even for fans who may not have read the other books with her. In the early 90s, the TTT was the first high quality continuation of the OT story, at a time when the PT being made was not even yet a certainty. Most fans don't even have my issue with the climax of the third TTT novel revealing a dramatic bait and switch to Mara Jade becoming the main protagonist out of nowhere. I was loving the whole trilogy until the end of third book. I think I would have enjoyed the ending of it more if I had had some warning about the ending. You may want to read it.

The Thrawn Trilogy never really caught my attention; I'd heard of it, but never got around to reading it, and the descriptions made it sound less than interesting to me. Thrawn deducing cultures from artwork, a clone of Luke named Luuke that we were somehow supposed to take seriously... none of it piqued my interest.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's real strange. Most folk i know, see the thrawn trilogy to be one of the BEST novel series for starwars..
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Nexx on this.

Never read them. I got the gist from word-of-mouth and synopses and reference books.

Not only did they not interest me, but I was repelled.

Maybe I was repelled for the same reason others were attracted.
To most, this was the ONLY new star wars available.

To me it struck me as 'fake star wars'; ie a fully sanctioned fanfic, but still not an 'authentic' continuation. I was saving myself for the imagined purity of another 'real' star wars movie...whenever that might come.

By the time the prequels had come and gone, I thought again about the TT, but by then they just seemed (to me) quaint and already starting to head into the dust bin of Star Wars history. (I had read other, newer books in the EU and saw them starting to retcon things, so it made the whole EU start to feel even less authentic.)

So yeah...

I know who Thrawn and Mara Jade etc are...but I never read that trilogy.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I suppose I should put my opinion to the test; seems my library has the Thrawn Trilogy audiobooks on Overdrive, so I'll give them a try once I'm done with Light of the Jedi.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wake up to the radio and one of the radio guys stated as a news bite that Lucas is returning to Star Wars (and made a joke mentioning Jar Jar). I was skeptical of this being fact so looked online myself to find the rumor that was based on. I guess a YouTuber thinks that Lucas is returning to work on a Star Wars trilogy and several outlets have picked up "the story." I find myself rather nonplussed by the possibility of it being true. I only mentioned it because this is probably the biggest rumor yet and I'm sure it will make its way to the forum sooner or later.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: