The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Deciding in advance the "power" of a force power
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Deciding in advance the "power" of a force power
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject: Deciding in advance the "power" of a force power Reply with quote

I came across one of the "new" vader comics.
here we see Sisioud "fry" the black warrior.

However it is indicated, maybe more than only indicated that Sidious could decide how powerful his lightning was, aka torture but not kill vs torture and kill etc.

so I was thinking could this work for other force powers that do damge.
Like a porce push, in stead of making potentially lethal and thus a DSP, maybe a "combat focused" jedi would indeed use the force push, but in a controlled way, "never" allowing it to do more than that, push the target awaya, not PUSH is away as to take damage, or evenptentially die

( a notmal human NPC has 2D Strenght to defend)

Is this viable, could this be done?

I was thinking just off the bat to have CPs for this, in stead of the CP adding +1D the CP is spent to control the >"level" of the power so that it does not go "beyond" and give a DSP.

now if we then go into the Wierd ones, like Plo Koon's electric Judgement, or as I call it a different color lightning. LOL

I can see this "less lethal" electric judgement as a form of what sidious did in the comic, it fries you, but it will not kill you or injure you significatly beyond maybe some bruned hairs........
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several times when, talk like this comes up, some suggest making it a "Willpower roll" that they have to make. Succeed, and they can "Pull the punch" (so to speak). Fail, and their attack's fully lethal.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Similar issues have come up before.

I take the following posisition:

A skill roll is an attempt to succeed at a task. The higher you roll, the MORE successful you are (the more in your favor the result is). That is a fundamental concept to table top roleplaying.

A character who wants to do non lethal damage should never be penalized for rolling high on his skill check.

Now, the D6 system does have a mechanic that can account for accidentally overdoing it:

The wild die. On a 1, if the character already has a DSP (for example) then there is a chance they will "go too far" and earn another DSP.

However, a DSP should not be given for an honest mistake (this obviously gets deep into the ROLE playing, as opposed to ROLL playing, aspects of what DSPs are supposed to represent).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: