The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Chain Codes and Droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Chain Codes and Droids Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Chain Codes and Droids Reply with quote

Does an unfree Droid have a Chain Code?

Does an independent droid have a chain code?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible, but what form would it take? Something like a ship transponder code?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a chain code?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
What's a chain code?

Rolling Eyes Wookieepedia is your friend.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Chain_code
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yet another thing you'd only know if you watched the cartoons or disney+ shows..
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shared this video over on the Bad Batch Spoilers thread for organics.

For droids, I assumed all of them were property with serial numbers like ships and blasters and such. "Independent" droids, such as bounty hunters, I figure were largely ignored by the Empire unless something catastrophic occurred that couldn't be easily swept away.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So yet another thing you'd only know if you watched the cartoons or disney+ shows..

...No. I wasn't sure what he was talking about, either, so I Googled it, and the Wookieepedia link popped right up. Doing your own research before replying is simple and easy.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

You missed the point. You have access to Wookieepedia if you have access to this site. You have a way to know what a chain code is without watching the shows.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
It's possible, but what form would it take? Something like a ship transponder code?

In that case, wouldn't EVERYONE's chain code more or less be their transponder, though displayable rather than broadcast? The chain code lists their identity and particulars, much as a transponder lists the name of the ship, its owner, and its classification.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

In that case, wouldn't EVERYONE's chain code more or less be their transponder, though displayable rather than broadcast? The chain code lists their identity and particulars, much as a transponder lists the name of the ship, its owner, and its classification.

A living being's chain code is almost certainly keyed to their DNA, which is (presumably) unchangeable. It's different with a droid; pretty much any component can be switched out, so if the chain code is keyed to a specific part, all the droid has to do is swap out that part and they're effectively untraceable.

Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd liken a Droid's Chain Code to being like the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) on a car. It's applied to the Chassis, so it wouldn't matter what mods are done to the droid, their Chain Code wouldn't change.

That said, Imperials are notoriously horrible for overlooking droids as just "machines", as shown by C-3P0 getting R2 and himself out of the Death Star flight control station by just saying, "Need maintenance, can we go?" and they're just shuffled off like it was nothing, despite being eye-witnesses to the "terrorists" that got on board. Troopers wouldn't have let biologicals get away with that.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
I'd liken a Droid's Chain Code to being like the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) on a car. It's applied to the Chassis, so it wouldn't matter what mods are done to the droid, their Chain Code wouldn't change.

CRMcNeill wrote:

A living being's chain code is almost certainly keyed to their DNA, which is (presumably) unchangeable. It's different with a droid; pretty much any component can be switched out, so if the chain code is keyed to a specific part, all the droid has to do is swap out that part and they're effectively untraceable.

What about tying it to the droid brain? Either the physical brain or some difficult-to-change coding, similar to the Life Preservation Protocols? I mean, you can replace 3PO's leg and he's still 3PO, but to change his brain you have to change his brain. That would also allow situations like the (non-canon) HK-47 being placed in a starship, or L3 being put into the Falcon... she's still there, still got her ID code, but in a completely different chasis.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it depends greatly on whether it's a hardware or software component. There's at least one incidence in the EU of a droid surviving having it's CPU destroyed, although the circumstances were pretty unique (see Bollux and Blue Max in Han Solo at Stars' End).

If it's hardware-linked - hardwired into the circuitry of the CPU - then it could still be left behind by transferring the droid's "software" into a new CPU.

A potential alternative would be to make it so that the chain code is an essential component of the interface between hardware and software, as in, even if the droid brain is replaced, it has to be specifically reprogrammed with the chain code from the old brain in order to match with the droid's "program".

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see chain codes being like a vehicle's VIN for droids.. BUT I can't see the entire galactic humanoid population, willingly giving their DNA out like that, to make chain coded ID's...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I can see chain codes being like a vehicle's VIN for droids.. BUT I can't see the entire galactic humanoid population, willingly giving their DNA out like that, to make chain coded ID's...

Wouldn’t have to be the ENTIRE galactic population for it to work. Government employees, members of the military, criminals, etc, might be required to do it, and that covers a huge slice of the PC population. And that’s assuming the government doesn’t incentivize getting it done for individual convenience. Think fast-tracking for boarding commercial starships or any other setting where there might be some sort of pre-screening.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: