The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Chain Codes and Droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Chain Codes and Droids Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without spoiling Bad Batch: there's a reason that the Empire sort of benevolently forces upon the populace to register their chain codes. I also imagine that most convicted beings have their DNA recorded already, so inputting that into the chain code database would be no problem.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
BUT I can't see the entire galactic humanoid population, willingly giving their DNA out like that, to make chain coded ID's...
And if your entire savings of Republic Credits were ruled to be worthless by the Galactic Empire, preventing you from even buying food?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Chain Codes and Droids Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
garhkal wrote:
BUT I can't see the entire galactic humanoid population, willingly giving their DNA out like that, to make chain coded ID's...
And if your entire savings of Republic Credits were ruled to be worthless by the Galactic Empire, preventing you from even buying food?

DNA would make sense, but all we know for sure that chain codes are a series of numbers that identify certain biometric details and the last four digits indicate the person's age. They can include information such as family history and criminal record.

Raven Redstar wrote:
Without spoiling Bad Batch: there's a reason that the Empire sort of benevolently forces upon the populace to register their chain codes. I also imagine that most convicted beings have their DNA recorded already, so inputting that into the chain code database would be no problem.

According to TBB, the early Empire required citizens to register for chain codes in order to book passage off world or to convert their Republic credits into Imperial credits. If that is story spoilers from the last three weeks, then really we should be discussing chain codes in TBB thread. The OP was specifically about droids...

Ray wrote:
I'd liken a Droid's Chain Code to being like the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) on a car. It's applied to the Chassis, so it wouldn't matter what mods are done to the droid, their Chain Code wouldn't change.

That said, Imperials are notoriously horrible for overlooking droids as just "machines", as shown by C-3P0 getting R2 and himself out of the Death Star flight control station by just saying, "Need maintenance, can we go?" and they're just shuffled off like it was nothing, despite being eye-witnesses to the "terrorists" that got on board. Troopers wouldn't have let biologicals get away with that.

I see it like this. Full unique droid designations are a long series of letters and numbers that include the make and model information. Most droids are known by a diminutive of this "DIN." When Sabe asked Panaka for Artoo's "number" in TPM, he seemed to read it off of Artoo's body. I'd say the numbers are mainly used for owner registration but that is probably very poorly tracked in most places in the galaxy, and a lot of places probably even have salvage rights for unclaimed droids so it is very easy for droids to change owners with little fuss. It is probably also very easy to change the DIN so I doubt there are many galactic citizens that debate a droid's identity based on what the DIN is or should be tied to. Probably only fourth degree droids are well tracked.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with chain codes being like a VIN number for droids is that there is at least one (admittedly extraordinary) circumstance where a droid's "software" was completely transferred from an old, effectively destroyed body into a new one: Bollux, in Han Solo at Stars' End. If the chain code is a purely physical thing, a droid could simply be ported over into a new body and leave its "past" behind it.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I don't think we should use the term "Chain Code" for droids. The term does not apply to droids. So far it applies to sentient biological citizens of the galaxy.

CRMcNeill wrote:
The problem with chain codes being like a VIN number for droids is that there is at least one (admittedly extraordinary) circumstance where a droid's "software" was completely transferred from an old, effectively destroyed body into a new one: Bollux, in Han Solo at Stars' End. If the chain code is a purely physical thing, a droid could simply be ported over into a new body and leave its "past" behind it.

That's ok. I do think with modifications, it is easy for a droid to lose its original identity. I don't have a problem with this. SW portrays that droids are widely considered to be nothing more than property. Frequent memory wipes are recommended so droids do not develop too much personality or uniqueness, so if a droid is functioning as intended by its manufacture, it is identical to any other droid of its model. Modifications to droids may not be completely uncommon, but modified droids are still a small minority of all droids in use. There isn't a lot of concern over droid identity in the galaxy. For most owners, the only purpose of differing designations of multiple droids of the same class owned is just to keep track of them for duty assignments, maintenance, and repair concerns. The supporting character droids such as Artoo and Bullox are the exceptions, not the rule.

For fourth degree droids, I think the illegalities and tracking is for the software (and built-in weaponry hardware). A B1 droid could be reprogrammed to be a simple labor droid and it would be legal to do so. A simple diagnostic could prove it. (It may not be simple to find hidden programming in any droid, but that's because it was hidden, which is not easy to do in the first place. Its difficulty is its detergent.)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
First of all, I don't think we should use the term "Chain Code" for droids. The term does not apply to droids. So far it applies to sentient biological citizens of the galaxy.

That was part of the initial question, though... would an emancipated droid (like IG-88) have a chain code?
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
That was part of the initial question, though... would an emancipated droid (like IG-88) have a chain code?

Are actual emancipated droids even a thing? Or are droids without masters that do rich people dirty work just a 'look the other way' thing? The only film character who was an expert on droid rights, L3-37, did not seem to think that droid emancipation was a thing, and thus her cause. I also can't imagine the result of the droid uprising on Kessel would be to give droids more rights and allow them to become emancipated by the time of the classic trilogy.

So no, I do not think IG-88 should have a chain code, but I also do not think IG-88 should be considered officially emancipated. I do not think IG-88 needs a chain code. Now what they will do in canon, who knows? Chain codes as shown in TBB so far are not a bad concept, but next week they could say droids have them which I may not agree with. Individual droids already have designations or "numbers" as Sabe referred to them in TPM. That is good enough for droids.

TL;DR? No.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: