The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The grenade skill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> The grenade skill Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: The grenade skill Reply with quote

In our gaming group we found it odd that there were a grenade skill and a thrown weapon skill.

A grenade is a weapon so why is it not covered by the throw weapon skill?

I could understand it if you had a "throw round objects skill" and a "throw long objects skill".

Anyway, we have removed the grenade skill and just toss grenades with the throw weapons skill.

Have anybody else changed it, and to what?
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, grenade also covers things like balls and rocks as well. Thrown weapons is for more primitive thrown weapons that are far less likely to end up killing you if you screwup throwing them.

Wanted Poster
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thrown weapon skill is for actually hitting some one with some kind of weapon like a rock.

Sence gernades explode you dont have to actually hit your target just get close. And becuose it explodes it kind of has to be treated like a lightsabre, if you mess the roll up too bad you just might kill yourself Shocked
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, use of a grenade is very diffrent from chucking something right at some-one.
to finance my 'vette!
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grenades are also supposed to be used to hit targets you can't see. Lob 'em over things like walls.

Thrown Weapons are for throwing stuff RIGHT at the opponent with the idea to hit them. Preferably sharp end first.
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The different is between direct fire where you attack something in line of sight and indirect fire where the attack travels in an arc. Pretty much just two different kinds of throws...
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the best thing might be to have a skill just called "Throwing", and then you could specialize in direct or indirect attacks.

One could argue that "grenade" and "thrown weapons" are so alike that if you are good at one you can´t be really lousy at the other.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's like saying if you're good at playing the sax your not going to be lousy on the flute.

Wanted Poster
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is in the throw. Typically grenades throws are about arcing the shot and hitting something within an "area of accuracy". These throws are also typically underhanded. Thrown weapons are aimed directly at someone. You throw to hit the target, if it's moving you adjust for movement. Below is an example of both throws made at a moving target.

That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: The grenade skill Reply with quote

gollummen wrote:
A grenade is a weapon so why is it not covered by the throw weapon skill?

We always thought it was.

I allow grenades to be thrown with grenade, thrown weapons, (s) M8 smoke grenade Very Happy , or telekenesis. In the same way, I allow a starship cargo to be purchased using bargain, streetwise, pursuasion, or affect mind.

There are often several different ways to accomplish the same task. They'll all get the job done - it's just a question of style.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Volar for the most part.

The grenade skill covers more than just throwing it, it covers operation and maintainance of the grenade.

Granted, though I may increase difficulty of grenade use for someone who doesn't know how to use a grenade, if you use thrown weapons and simply lob a grenade directly at someone, nailing them directly in the chest with it... you still nailed them directly in the chest with the grenade.

But not making the "difficulty to use" target of the grenade might mean you make a strength roll for throwing a metal object at someone, and than a run roll to get away from the enemy whom you have just handed a new grenade and angered at the same time.
to finance my 'vette!
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how to do it with style.

*Grabs front of pants, flips pin out with thumb in front of face, smile, drops down pants, pushes away, runs like a SOB*

Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
I agree with Volar for the most part.

The grenade skill covers more than just throwing it, it covers operation and maintainance of the grenade.

Granted, though I may increase difficulty of grenade use for someone who doesn't know how to use a grenade, if you use thrown weapons and simply lob a grenade directly at someone, nailing them directly in the chest with it... you still nailed them directly in the chest with the grenade.

But not making the "difficulty to use" target of the grenade might mean you make a strength roll for throwing a metal object at someone, and than a run roll to get away from the enemy whom you have just handed a new grenade and angered at the same time.

Good old fast ball special... Makes me wonder how much damage some of our top baseball pitchers could do if they tossed a grenade into someone they way they toss a baseball...
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In World War 2 when most of the ball players were drafted, German soldiers were knocked flat cold before the grenade went off. Plus the expert knowledge of throwing and the new knowledge of explosives lead to some very interesting make-shift thrown explosives.
to finance my 'vette!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
In World War 2 when most of the ball players were drafted, German soldiers were knocked flat cold before the grenade went off. Plus the expert knowledge of throwing and the new knowledge of explosives lead to some very interesting make-shift thrown explosives.

Absolutely! It's a good thing the Nazis didn't learn to walk around wearing ball gloves! Shocked

As for what skill should be used, Boomer's got a good point. You have to know how to use the grenade in order to actually use it. Plus, you ought to know a little something about grenades to keep them from exploding before you ever arm them in the first place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: