The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Indiana Jones
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Indiana Jones Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New IJ5 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQfMbSe7F2g
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Indiana Jones Lego sets for the old movies, released as part of the runup to the new movie, (especially the Raiders snake pit) look great. At $40 it's a steal. You get Marion, Jones, Sallah, a mummy, a bunch of snakes, the ark, two giant Egyptian statues... deal of the century. One of the statues even falls over on a hinge, to knock out a loose wall for their escape route.

Kenner Raiders 3.75" action figures have been reissued at Targets near me.

My kids just saw Raiders and Crusade for the first time within the last ten days. My mom thought the guy's face melting would be too scary for them but they laughed at it.

My 5 year old asked what Nazis are and my 7 year old said "they're the guys who killed Anne Frank!".

I think Last Crusade is the best of them. I'm biased though because I saw it in the theater at an impressionable age. We only saw about one movie a year so it was a big deal. Raiders and Doom I knew of only through readalong books with records. I'm willing to accept in-universe for purposes of an RPG that Raiders and/or Crusade really happened, and everything else are the rumors that go around the college campus about him. Like, if he actually lived through ANY of those movies, he'd be a very changed person. There's no way if all the supernatural stuff Raiders and Doom had happened to that character, he'd exhibit the skepticism he does in Crusade.

I also like the theory that the Indiana Joes movies are the dreams Han Solo had in Carbonite.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
The new Indiana Jones Lego sets for the old movies, released as part of the runup to the new movie, (especially the Raiders snake pit) look great. At $40 it's a steal. You get Marion, Jones, Sallah, a mummy, a bunch of snakes, the ark, two giant Egyptian statues... deal of the century. One of the statues even falls over on a hinge, to knock out a loose wall for their escape route.

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Indiana-Building-Featuring-Minifigure/dp/B0BLJ2LT8L/

Yeah, that Well of the Souls set is really cool. $40 really is an incredible deal for that. But I spent a lot of money on classic IJ merch when the last film came out, so I really shouldn't this time...

Quote:
Kenner Raiders 3.75" action figures have been reissued at Targets near me.

...From the merch tie-in with the last film, I have 13 loose 3.75" IJ figures on display on top of one of my bookshelves:
    River Phoenix Young Indy (w/ snake & lion tamer whip)
    Short Round (w/ flaming torch & Indy's jacket rolled up with his whip)
    Mola Ram (w/ flaming heart & skull for drinking the evil blood)
    Marion (w/ iron skillet)
    "Hebrew Priest" Belloq (w/ ram's head staff)
    Sallah (w/ flaming & and shovel)
    Colonel Vogel (w/ pistol and baton)
    Henry Jones, Sr. (w/ Grail diary, satchel & umbrella)
    The Grail Knight (w/ Grail & sword)
    Indiana Jones wearing jacket (w/ pistol and gold fertility idol)
    Colonel Spalko (w/ sword)
    Mutt (w/ sword and crystal skull)
    Crystal Skeleton (sitting in a gold throne, I think this was a free "proof-of-purchase" mail-away)
And I also have a to-scale gold Ark of the Covenant in front of Belloq! I have one unopened IJ figure (a different Indy) still on the card with my Star Wars figure collection. I bought a lot of IJ books last time.

Quote:
My kids just saw Raiders and Crusade for the first time within the last ten days. My mom thought the guy's face melting would be too scary for them but they laughed at it.

Cool. Yeah, it is pretty silly-looking.

Quote:
My 5 year old asked what Nazis are and my 7 year old said "they're the guys who killed Anne Frank!".

Cool that they knew who Ann Frank was.

Quote:
I think Last Crusade is the best of them. I'm biased though because I saw it in the theater at an impressionable age.

I was in high school for that and saw it six and a half times in the theater that summer (the half was from my friends and I walking out of some stupid movie we were watching and hopping over to Last Crusade for second half of it). To this day I still can't choose a favorite from the three 80s IJ films.

Quote:
We only saw about one movie a year so it was a big deal. Raiders and Doom I knew of only through readalong books with records.

In the last century, I saw the first two IJ films in the theater exactly once each (ToD was actually at the drive-in theater). It was about that often for me too, but I remember the summer of Raiders was special because we saw three movies in the theater (Clash of the Titans and Dragonslayer were the other two).

Quote:
I'm willing to accept in-universe for purposes of an RPG that Raiders and/or Crusade really happened, and everything else are the rumors that go around the college campus about him. Like, if he actually lived through ANY of those movies, he'd be a very changed person. There's no way if all the supernatural stuff Raiders and Doom had happened to that character, he'd exhibit the skepticism he does in Crusade.

The lack of character development (add the fact that Crusade and Crystal Skull are thinly-disguised remakes of Raiders) is a good argument for all the films each taking place in their own universes. I can accept the Young Indy series as one shared universe (and the character does have a bit of development in it). So I think of it as an Indiana Jones multiverse comprised of five universes (so far).

Quote:
I also like the theory that the Indiana Joes movies are the dreams Han Solo had in Carbonite.

That works. For my enjoyment of IJ, all that really matters is the current adventure I'm watching. Franchise continuity is not at all important. For me, it is very different from my enjoyment of Star Wars.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
So Harrison Ford was injured during the filming of Indiana Jones 5, and Disney has issued a statement:

"He's pushing 79 so maybe we should have considered that he's too old to play Indiana Jones."

I jest. See below for the real statement...

https://deadline.com/2021/06/harrison-ford-indiana-jones-5-injures-shoulder-rehearsing-fight-scene-production-shoot-around-recovery-1234780040/

It's weird to me that he's like "Nah, Han Solo's story has been told" and wanted him to die in Jedi, and presumably only too the job of TLJ because Han Solo dies in it. But he'll play Indiana Jones for 5 whole movies.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Whill wrote:
So Harrison Ford was injured during the filming of Indiana Jones 5, and Disney has issued a statement:

"He's pushing 79 so maybe we should have considered that he's too old to play Indiana Jones."

https://deadline.com/2021/06/harrison-ford-indiana-jones-5-injures-shoulder-rehearsing-fight-scene-production-shoot-around-recovery-1234780040/

It's weird to me that he's like "Nah, Han Solo's story has been told" and wanted him to die in Jedi, and presumably only too the job of TLJ because Han Solo dies in it. But he'll play Indiana Jones for 5 whole movies.

I think you meant TFA for Han's death.

I've also read comments by Ford that he believes no one else should ever play the character of Indiana Jones. Quite the myopic view of things. Can you imagine if only one character ever played the parts of Sherlock Holmes? James Bond? Tarzan?
Whill

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:
Whill wrote:

It's weird to me that he's like "Nah, Han Solo's story has been told" and wanted him to die in Jedi, and presumably only too the job of TLJ because Han Solo dies in it.

I think you meant TFA for Han's death.

I've also read comments by Ford that he believes no one else should ever play the character of Indiana Jones. Quite the myopic view of things. Can you imagine if only one character ever played the parts of Sherlock Holmes? James Bond? Tarzan?

Harrison Ford saying no one else should ever play Indy is a very Harrison Ford thing to say. It's like, only Keith Richards could say that Led Zeppelin is overrated.

Myopic seems a bit harsh. We aren't talking about an actor in a long linage of actors playing a classic role. We are talking about roles originated by a still living actor. Maybe the first Sherlock Holmes actor felt the same way. (Sean Connery had mixed feelings about James Bond but knew they were going to make more films with or without him. He said "never again" but reneged on that vow twice.)

When Ian McDiarmid was asked about returning to the role of Palpatine for TRoS, he never talked about how good the film was, or how important or necessary this film was for the character. Before he was even knew about the return of Palpatine, he had flat out admitted that he doesn't want anyone else to play the character (For Palpatine and Indiana Jones, it is clear the actors mean for live action feature films).

Ian McDiarmid and Harrison Ford aren't so myopic that they don't understand they don't own the rights to the characters. They realize these characters will outlive them and there is nothing they can do to prevent other actors playing these roles when they are gone. But there is something they can do to prevent being replaced as long as possible while they are still here: return to the roles.

Regarding Indy, everyone knows Disney wasn't going to just sit on the franchise without them getting their piece of the pie and revaluing the entire franchise they now own. Knowing Ford didn't want to see the film franchise rebooted, all they had to do was start a rumor that they were looking to replace him to get him interested in doing one more and to the bargaining table. But Ford had a couple bargaining chips. For one, recasting is always a risk, so the original actor, who was for a time the highest paid actor in Hollywood, returning is going to be Disney's preference. Plus, Ford's agency could cite how he is largely responsible for the successful relaunching of the Star Wars franchise. So Disney gets a Ford IJ, Ford gets another huge pay day, and maybe the inevitable reboot/recasting will hold off long enough for Ford to not be around to see it.

Quote:
...But he'll play Indiana Jones for 5 whole movies.

Back to TauntaunScout's comment about the difference between Indy and Han to Ford, it is literally only a one film difference (4 SW to 5 IJ). Maybe Ford just likes IJ better. But both character's stories were really done in the early 80s.

The difference is that the last two sequels of IJ are just remakes of Raiders so they is the same basic story. And the Temple of Doom also shares the same basic single-film character arc for Indy. There is never much of anything new for Indy, and inter-film continuity is not really a thing for IJ like it is for Star Wars.

Han had a definite trilogy character arc in the CT (scoundrel to hero), so once he was committed to the Alliance there was nothing else for the character. At the end of RotJ, Han is not "Solo" anymore. So TFA was a remake of ANH and the character of Han was reset to having left Leia and her cause so he could reunite and rejoin in this story. And Han's role was shifted to the Obi-Wan role, the mentor to the young heroes who sacrifices his life. Rey is the protagonist of TFA, while IJ will still be the main protagonist of IJ 5. Indy's son from the last film won't even be in IJ 5.

In the end, Ford is doing one top-billing starring role in a Disney film for each franchise, and then he is really done with both, whether Indy dies in IJ 5 or not. (His cameo in TRoS was literally one day of work for Ford).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:

I agree with Harrison. HE IS Indy!
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I saw Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny today. I won't give any plot spoilers.

Classic IJ (80s) was fantasy (with mystical artifacts). Kingdom of the Crystal Skull went the sci-fi direction (by having inter-dimensional aliens). I'll just say that the new movie continues one of these genres but what qualifies it as being in the genre is definitely original for an IJ film.

I had watched Temple of Doom back in 2020, but hadn't watched any other IJ movies since a while before that, so I re-watched Raiders, Last Crusade, and Crystal Skull in the past month. I realized more than ever that, while Crystal Skull has a lot of the same type of outrageous, silly action of the classic films and is a decent adventure film overall, it doesn't have the nostalgic value that the first three have so pales in comparison.

Dial of Destiny starts out with a long action sequence taking place in 1944, and the main story of the film takes place in 1969, not long after Indy turns 70. Sallah and Marion are only in the film briefly, and Mutt's absence is significant to character relationships. The new character played by the L3 actor is great. In dialogue, Indy referred to two events that occurred in the Temple of Doom, which was a nice touch because the film wasn't referenced in the last two sequels (and IMO it is wrongly maligned in fandom).

From a single viewing, I'm thinking that Dial of Destiny is overall better than the Crystal Skull. My wife liked it more. DoD does have one annoying aspect that requires some rationalizations to make sense, and another aspect that just won't make sense (and I'm sure the writers don't want you to notice). I'm not going to watch DoD in the theater again, so I'll just wait until it comes to Disney+ to watch it again (with subtitles).

In three weeks or more, I'll come back and speak more openly about the film.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: